Tamron 17-50 f2.8

My kit Sony 18-55 has been missing focus more often than I'd like lately and a small quantity of money is available for a replacement.

Have I any right to expect the Tamron to be any better in quality? It's the limit of the budget, so I won't be considering anything more expensive. Thanks for any opinions.

Have you thought of going to a photo equipment dealer and buying a used one? They usually come with a warranty and can be a lot less expensive than new.

That is how I bought my Canon 70-200 and have been using it for 2 years with no problems. Cost me half the cost of new.

Jill

Does the Tamron 17-55 have internal focus -- i.e. does the lens barrel not rotate during autofocusing? Makes a big speed difference, I find.

Who knows, Tamron might even make some of the Sony lenses? They apparently made some of the Minolta AF lenses.

Over the years I've had a pretty good experience with Tamron lenses.

I had one 20-40 2.7-3.5  that was a really great lens.  My 300 2.8 was

just OK.  Their service in the U.S. is very good.  On the other hand, does

Tokina make a wide zoom in your SONY mount?  I've had excellent luck

with Tokina.

P.S. Tamron made a number of NIKON optics.

Hello Spacecadet

I know you are probably asking about the autofocus on the Tamron 17-50 2.8 lens, I have always used manual focus, but just thought I would say that I am very pleased with this lens which I got for my ancient but loved Canon 20d. I needed a wide angle for an assignment last year so got this as I am also on a budget. I'm only an amateur and I'm afraid I can't add much technical insight, but I have never failed a submission to Alamy using it.

Hope this is of some help.

Regards

Elaine

Hello Spacecadet

I know you are probably asking about the autofocus on the Tamron 17-50 2.8 lens, I have always used manual focus, but just thought I would say that I am very pleased with this lens which I got for my ancient but loved Canon 20d. I needed a wide angle for an assignment last year so got this as I am also on a budget. I'm only an amateur and I'm afraid I can't add much technical insight, but I have never failed a submission to Alamy using it.

Hope this is of some help.

Regards

Elaine

Thanks, this is helpful because I'm asking about it generally for image quality, not just the AF. I don't know what is causing the misses but the kit lens is a bit average.

Since you have the lens, can you say if the zoom action is smooth? This would help for video as the Sony lens is very sticky.

I've always had good experiences with Tamron lenses. I have scads of images on Alamy that were taken with a not-so-fancy Tamron 28-80. The lens felt flimsy, but I took it with me on numerous bumpy trips to Latin America, and it never let me down. The only thing I didn't like was the lack of internal AF. Rotating lens barrels can be a real pain.

I've always had good experiences with Tamron lenses. I have scads of images on Alamy that were taken with a not-so-fancy Tamron 28-80. The lens felt flimsy, but I took it with me on numerous bumpy trips to Latin America, and it never let me down. The only thing I didn't like was the lack of internal AF. Rotating lens barrels can be a real pain.

Fortunately this doesn't have it so I'd in for a treat- always had the other sort.

Oh- it has a focusing scale so I suppose it must have?

Fortunately this doesn't have it so I'd in for a treat- always had the other sort.

Oh- it has a focusing scale so I suppose it must have?

Just make sure that you don't have to rotate your head at the same time. That could get really painful.

Archived