Alamy payment e-mail?

I didn't get the usual "Alamy has paid you" e-mail this month. I contacted member services and was told that the payment (via PayPal) has been made, but they did not explain why I didn't receive the usual e-mail outlining the details. Just wondering, has Alamy stopped sending out these e-mails?

Whenever I get a payment on my paypal account I get an email. I am pretty sure it is generated by Paypal not by the payer.

Nope. These confirmation e-mails are sent by Alamy, usually on the first or second of the month. I later get the e-mail you mentioned from PayPal around the 12th of the month when the money lands in my PP account.

Incidentally, how much do you lose in commission?

Foreign exchange commission on bank transfers in sterling is about 3%.

Not sure what you mean. PayPal waives fees for Alamy payments. However, PayPal does charge a small "currency conversion fee" when I convert from USD to CAN$. Currently the loonie (Canadian dollar) is worth only about $0.76 US, so that works in my favour.

I used to get paid by bank transfer, but my rich Canadian bank charges US$15.00 for each international transfer. Hence the switch to PayPal. Life is different over here in the colonies. B)

How does the rate you get compared with, say,  the rate on xe.com? Divide one by the other and work out the difference.

Don't know. Shall look it up. I must convert from USD to CAN through PayPal in order to have the money transferred to my Canadian bank account, so I don't see that it is possible to use another option.  

John, I get the Alamy generated email with an attached PDF of the payment document.  I don't recall requesting it or checking a box for it, but I like getting it!  My payment comes via bank transfer.

Yup, that's the e-mail with attached PDF that I'm referring to. Did you get one this month (Oct.)?

Same here. I normally always get an email from Alamy (subject "Alamy has paid you") on the 1st of the month, with an attached PDF. Then a week to 10 days later another email, this time from PayPal, stating the money has been transferred into my account.

Didn't get the first one this month, still too early for the second one.

Thanks for the replies. It's reassuring to know that I'm not alone. No big deal, but I'm expecting a larger than usual payout this month. And according to Murphy's Law...

P.S. I have sent another e-mail about this to member services. Shall let you know what they say.

It used to be the case that you would get an email re payment if you are registered for VAT.

Still the case. In fact it would have to be because they need to send a self-billing invoice.

Alan

I didn't get the usual "Alamy has paid you" e-mail this month. I contacted member services and was told that the payment (via PayPal) has been made, but they did not explain why I didn't receive the usual e-mail outlining the details. Just wondering, has Alamy stopped sending out these e-mails?

Received my payment email from Member Services 2 Oct  and payment arrived in my bank early this morning, 6 Oct. via ACH deposit. 

I've never had them. Were they only for non-bank transfer payments perhaps?

I always get it on the fourth working day of the month.

I'm under the impression Alamy only sends payment e-mail to photographers outside the UK

John, I get the Alamy generated email with an attached PDF of the payment document.  I don't recall requesting it or checking a box for it, but I like getting it!  My payment comes via bank transfer.

Yup, that's the e-mail with attached PDF that I'm referring to. Did you get one this month (Oct.)?

Yes, I did get one on the first of the month.

I heard back from member services. They said it was a very busy month for payouts and the e-mails are own their way. Apparently, it can take a few days to generate them after the pay run. Why some of us get these confirmations / PDF's and others don't remains a mystery, though.

Archived