Lightroom CC2015.2 and 6.2

Thanks. Changes to the import process sound ghastly. I always need to double check my renaming, etc. Maybe there will be an easy way but for now I will wait on this update.

Paulette

Sounds like the import dialog is a bit of a mess in this update. It seems that they have dumbed down part of a professional tool that was working very well and didn't need fixing. Looking at the What's New page on the Adobe website, most of the new features in LR6.2 seem to be for smartphones or iPads - not aimed at the needs of most photographers I would guess. It seems that it is possible to bypass the new dialog but that they have removed a number of features. Although I'm curious as to what has changed, I'm not going to install the update as it probably isn't possible to go back to the previous version very easily. I'll be sticking with 6.1.1 for a while. There are many unhappy users out there so I expect Adobe will have to do something about it.

Import is different but it still works fine..... it was actually easier to import a whole drive of images than previously. Panic over.....Jonesy

Import is different but it still works fine..... Panic over.....Jonesy

I decided to install it on my 2nd machine to see what all the furore was about. I'm inclined to agree although that is mainly because the changes to the import dialogue don't really affect my workflow. However, I can understand why many people who do make use of the Import Dialogue are somewhere between annoyed and furious as there could be major workflow changes. 

I just use the Import Dialogue as a means of getting images into LR. I always copy images to the hard drive first rather than import from the card and I know where they are going (location-based folders), so I don't use Move, Eject Card or need to see a destination folder tree, which seems to be some of the main complaints. I don't add duplicates although I can see why some people like the facility to do this. The new Add Photos screen can be permanently turned off in Prefs which has been recommended because of suspicion that it is causing problems with the running of LR in general. I've not really used LR6.2 beyond having a quick look but haven't noticed any performance issues. In fact LR in general seems speedier since the El Capitan update. 

This is currently posted on the Adobe site: - https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom/kb/lightroom-and-el-capitan---mac-os-10-11.html

Interesting that in relation to 'crashes' they specifically mention unchecking the Add Photos Screen in preferences and restarting. So as well as not being a generally welcome addition, that new screen also appears to be linked to such crashes.

I was having a problem yesterday after the update of LR still running as a process even after closing it out.  It made it impossible to reopen LR.  I discovered this later by opening task manager in Win 10 and finding three instances of Lightroom running.  Apparently you can no longer move folders around in the Library module.  If you haven't upgraded you may want to wait a while for adobe to work out the kinks.

Apparently you can no longer move folders around in the Library module.  

Fortunately that is not correct - it is only in the Import Dialogue that the ability to move images has been removed. I have been using the new version (6.2 perpetual) all day and have had no problems at all. I've turned off the Add Photos option in the prefs and I am having no issues on my Mac with El Capitan. 

But I can understand why people who use the Import Dialogue extensively are flipping out over the changes and, given the reactions I've been seeing, it would be really surprising if Adobe don't listen to their customers and bring back the functionality that has been removed in the next update. People are really angry. However, it is easy to work around most of the changes, despite what people are saying, by simply copying images to the required folders on the hard drive first rather than importing direct from a card and then importing these folders. Images can be moved, renamed, have metadata added and any image settings added easily later. So, annoying as it is, the workarounds are not difficult.  

Fortunately that is not correct - it is only in the Import Dialogue that the ability to move images has been removed. I have been using the new version (6.2 perpetual) all day and have had no problems at all. I've turned off the Add Photos option in the prefs and I am having no issues on my Mac with El Capitan. 

But I can understand why people who use the Import Dialogue extensively are flipping out over the changes and, given the reactions I've been seeing, it would be really surprising if Adobe don't listen to their customers and bring back the functionality that has been removed in the next update. People are really angry. However, it is easy to work around most of the changes, despite what people are saying, by simply copying images to the required folders on the hard drive first rather than importing direct from a card and then importing these folders. Images can be moved, renamed, have metadata added and any image settings added easily later. So, annoying as it is, the workarounds are not difficult.  

I think you misread my statement.  There is no problem moving images around which I rarely do.  Moving folders on the other hand no longer seems to work.  For some reason I can't explain I let LR import all my images to my C: drive which is an SSD and then later after I am done processing I move the folders off to one of the other drives on my computer.  In the past it has just been a drag and drop operation.  Now I would have to move them in Explorer and then synchronize the root folder for LR to see them.  I haven't tried that yet.  I am hoping that Adobe will fix it.  My first problem with having many instances of LR running seems to have fixed itself.  I am running LR CC by the way.

I think you misread my statement.  There is no problem moving images around which I rarely do.  Moving folders on the other hand no longer seems to work.  For some reason I can't explain I let LR import all my images to my C: drive which is an SSD and then later after I am done processing I move the folders off to one of the other drives on my computer.  In the past it has just been a drag and drop operation.  Now I would have to move them in Explorer and then synchronize the root folder for LR to see them.  I haven't tried that yet.  I am hoping that Adobe will fix it.  My first problem with having many instances of LR running seems to have fixed itself.  I am running LR CC by the way.

It's definitely possible to move folders for me on my Mac. Maybe it's a permissions thing in your case? The main point I was making is that it's possible to work around many of the problems by manually copying files to the hard drive rather than importing from a card but I do truly appreciate why it is such a problem and why people are furious about it.

So I was going to write that I hoped that Adobe would soon find a fix for the problem.  I opened LR this afternoon and again tried to move folders around and magically it worked!  Then my problem was most of my file folders were grayed out with a message that the particular  folder was missing.  With so many missing I finally ended up checking the date of the catalog that was being used.  LR had reverted to a backup from April of this year.  Luckily I had backed Lr up this morning and was able to get everything back.  A was able to move folders with ease after all this.  Adobe did say in one of the forums that they were working on the problem.

Import works the same but it has visually changed (for the worse) - all the options we have always had are still there.. you just have to click on the settings wheel on the top left of the import page.

I wish they'd kept the old version - but what can ya do.

The lunch splash screen looks cool though....  :P

Import works the same but it has visually changed (for the worse) - all the options we have always had are still there.. you just have to click on the settings wheel on the top left of the import page.

In which parallel universe  :)? Here is a flavour of what is going on in this one http://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/topics/new-update-6-2. Now that is an angry mob.

OK, I better have a closer look! :unsure:

Edit - OK - I had a closer look, all the bits I use are still there:

Same file handling

Folder tree

Copy and convert to DNG

Presets are still there but I don't use them..

File renaming.. folder naming.. blah blah..

I see some features on that post that I never used so I never took any notice of.. such as zooming in before import, ticks on selected images obscuring the content - stupid, but I import everything anyway, I rate my images after import and I never delete anything. While the layout has changed and it now looks more like a google app for 12 year olds - for me at least, everything is still there. But, I stand corrected - some features have been raped.

I agree with everyone else, it's a terrible update.

• 2 weeks later...

Just saw this good news: Adobe will revert some of the import dialog that was removed in the next update.

Link: 

http://tinyurl.com/navkapz

I'll wait to update till that comes out... ;)

Phil

No surprise given the huge backlash from users. It's amazing that they ever did what they did in the first place.

Probably wise to wait although I have been running the latest version without any problem (except for the remove CA bug) and it is esay to roll back in any case. I really updated out of curiosiity as I've never seen a backlash like this before - not even when Adobe introduced (buggy) product activation for Photoshop.

Archived