I have read the specification for uploading images to the Alay site. It notes that uncompressed images must be at least 17MB in size. Is this correct? That is absolutely enormous! Unless, of course, I'm doing something wrong ...

Thanks.

I have read the specification for uploading images to the Alay site. It notes that uncompressed images must be at least 17MB in size. Is this correct? That is absolutely enormous! Unless, of course, I'm doing something wrong ...

Thanks.

Hi Paul:

This is probably the most asked question here on the forum. You have to remember that it is the uncompressed file size (the RAW file that comes straight from your camera,) that Alamy is talking about, not the compressed jpg you will be uploading. I have an 18 mp camera, so my RAW files are just over 51mb.  When saved as a jpg, they will be anywhere from 2 - 15 mb depending on the detail in the image.

Jill

Perhaps it would be easier all round if Alamy just gave everyone a pixel count to aim for.

They require a 17MB uncompressed jpeg file - this is 17,825,792 bytes (17 x 1024 x 1024).  The required minimum pixel count is one third of this (each pixel is 3 bytes) which equals 5,941,931 pixels. Lets call that 6 megapixels.

Multiply the height and width of your RAW or tiff image in pixels, and if it is more than 6,000,000, save it at the highest resolution jpeg you can.

• 2 months later...

The thing is how do i saved as over 17MB when the files already automatically convert JPG in compression? I convert my RAW file from Lightroom and always got below 17MB. While TIFF can easily goes up to 60MB. 

Don't worry about the size of the jpeg. It is compressed. The 17MB is for an uncompressed file (the size before you turn it to a jpeg).

Paulette

The thing is how do i saved as over 17MB when the files already automatically convert JPG in compression? I convert my RAW file from Lightroom and always got below 17MB. While TIFF can easily goes up to 60MB. 

if you have an uncompressed file such as a TIFF or RAW that is over 17mb then any JPG's you make from that file will be fine so long as you keep the JPG compression setting high.

Try using this utility to check your photos.

http://www.braeside.plus.com/photography/alamy/alamy.html

Just forget all this uncompressed and compressed if you dont want to go to deep into it. Just apply the following:

Take a photo on minimum 6 megapixel on JPEG..... done. Soon or later you will find out yourself what aboved mentioned means.

Mirco

• 2 years later...

I have a problem. I try to upload my first 3 images but I get the upload error - 1 file rejected. I have .jpg format I try with 24 Mb until 70 Mb files but the same error :(

What i do wrong ?

23 hours ago, Arpad said:

I have a problem. I try to upload my first 3 images but I get the upload error - 1 file rejected. I have .jpg format I try with 24 Mb until 70 Mb files but the same error :(

What i do wrong ?

Minimum size of image in pixels 2000 x 3000

http://www.alamy.com/contributor/how-to-sell-images/guidelines-for-submitting-images/

Are you sure you have chosen baseline (standard)?

This subject can be confusing because some of the words are used for different purposes; the essence of the confusion is that "image size" is not necessarily the same as "image file size."

If you open an image in Photoshop, there is a note on the bottom left margin, "Doc: nnM/nnM", that gives you the uncompressed image size.  For instance, I just opened one of my 12.7-megapixel images, and that marginal note says "Doc: 72.8M/72.8M".  So the uncompressed image size for that one is 72.8 megabytes.

To add to the confusion, Photoshop calls that "Document size."

For the same image I'm using as an example here:

raw file size = 14.8 Mb

jpeg file at PS baseline standard = 3.59 Mb

8-bit TIFF file = 72.8 Mb  --This will also give you the uncompressed image size

16-bit TIFF file size is twice the 8-bit file size. 

Or as Mirco points out, 6 megapixels or more will do it.

Archived