Should I upload to Alamy photos of people, if I don't have a signed release??

jzak

Hello!

So i asked this same question on my Introductions post, but I think it deserves it's own thread. I could use some more clarification on what exactly does Alamy do, if you upload a picture with people in it (Without Signed Releases). Do they put it into a different classification which makes it less attractive for potential customers to purchase? Are companies simply not going to look at photos, unless they indicate that every person has signed a release waiver?

I guess my question comes down to this. If I want to successfully sell my work on Alamy, should steer clear of uploading images with people in them, without a signed release??

Thanks for all the help!

Josh 

You annotate as releases required but not available and it goes on as RM. With a release you can list as RF. That's all.

The answer to your question is no.

As long as you annotate correctly any risk, which is minimal outside the US, lies with the publisher, not you.

You annotate as releases required but not available and it goes on as RM. With a release you can list as RF. That's all.

The answer to your question is no.

You couldn't of said it better. Thanks so much for the decisive answer on this issue. 

I have a few sales, most decent, of pix with people as the focus, all unreleased. Probably 10% of turnover.

Alamy do say that if a buyer needs one for a particular image they will ask you if you can get one. Some of mine are of family so the answer would be yes.

Alamy do say that if a buyer needs one for a particular image they will ask you if you can get one.

If appropriate, you can always add a line in the Description field to say that a release may be obtainable.

Alan

Alamy do say that if a buyer needs one for a particular image they will ask you if you can get one.

If appropriate, you can always add a line in the Description field to say that a release may be obtainable.

Alan

Thanks, but in my situation where most of my photos of people were taken in some remote area of Africa, or of a city street scene, it would be next to impossible for me to try to find that person to have him or her sign a release form.  

To be short.

An image with people and no releases can in most cases also be bought by a costumer as long he uses it for non-commercial goals. For example in a magazine, newspaper or book.

Mirco

Archived