I've started one of my big single uploads of the year and six months or so ago, I started doing so using ftp (via the Transmit app) rather than the Alamy web page whose Flash I found unpredictable.

So as I watch the progress of each file make its way left to right I wonder if this really sends the file faster than previously? Has anyone with a stop watch tested both methods and can reach a definitive conclusion?

Rgds,

Richard.

*67 gone, hundreds to go*

Filezilla tells me the transfer speed and it's towards the top end of my line speed. Web upload can be as quick but it does occasionally hang which ftp doesn't . So far

It took till last month for me to get ftp and I wasn't missing it except on the odd occasion.

Now it's there I will probably stick with it.

Richard,

I've done two ftp uploads and one by the old method. Can't really say I've noticed a difference in speed. Unlike the old method, FTP does not show your uploads as being recieved instantly, as the old method did. Estimates from others are between 10-15 minutes before they show up as, 'awaiting QC'.

Same as Mark said continuing to use it, though.

Krisken

Richard,

I think the key point is that the FTP is recoverable. If the transmission fails (say because you router went down) you should be able to restart the FTP process & it will pick up where it left off. I confess I haven't tested this on the Alamy server though.

Russell

Thanks Spacecadet and Krisken.

Interesting point, Russell about an interrupted session which has happened to me before - and isn't very nice. And I have noticed that aeons ago, uploads showed almost immediately in MI which now seems to take much longer - not sure why, but that's a minor worry, all things considered!

Rgds,

Richard.

I was wondering the same thing.  I haven't noticed an increase in speed since switching to FTP. 

I also find FTP less reliable.  My last upload of 68 images had two failures, so I had to manually send them again.

The online uploader tries about 3 times before quitting on a file, so I haven't had a problem with online upload for years.

I never figured out how to connect with FTP. Is that a surprise to anyone? :). So I'm still using the old way and they are screaming by fast as you'd want. As long as that happens, I don't have to wrestle FTP for two days trying to figure out where I went wrong.

I can't imagine FTP being faster.

That said, the increased speed in my uploads strangely seemed to coincide with so many going on FTP. Must have freed something up.

Archived