There are some excellent camera insurance products available . . . Google is your friend. And depending on where you go and what you carry, insurance can be a canny investment.

Out of date by a year or two, but the advice here isn't too shabby.

dd

. . . and then there was this thread, with some input and advice from US-based contributors.

dd

There are some excellent camera insurance products available . . . Google is your friend. And depending on where you go and what you carry, insurance can be a canny investment.

Out of date by a year or two, but the advice here isn't too shabby.

dd

I googled already and failed to find those excellent insurance products, that's why I asked here.  

I already read that advice.  I'm now looking for good insurance agents.

. . . and then there was this thread, with some input and advice from US-based contributors.

Thanks for the thread, I already read that as well. Nothing in there in terms of travel equipment insurance. I'm still searching.

??? . . . this from that thread:

"I am insured through State Farm. Nothing fancy, just regular business insurance for the gear and an umbrella policy for the liability side. Yes, it would cover theft when traveling."

and:

"I receive $15.000 of equipment insurance through PPA (Professional Photographers of America) membership. Member just needs to be sure to opt into it.

$15,000 of coverage paid for by PPA

Loss due to fire, theft or equipment breakage

Worldwide, off-premises or "on location" coverage

U.S. and Puerto Rico-based Professional Active or Life members are eligible

Additional coverage and General liability are available for additional fees."

. . . both from US-based photographers.

dd

I'm with State Farm as well - I have a regular liability insurance policy for my business and a marine midland policy which covers theft of my equipment anywhere in the world. Marine midland is a type of insurance policy that started out centuries ago for protecting cargo at sea I believe. Anyway, ask you regular insurance agent about a marine midland policy - there are also specialty brokers who deal with photographers. 

I am with State Farm in Canada. I have all of my insurance with one agent. Cars, business, house, and camera equipment as a extra cost rider on my house policy. Be travel savvy, and you will not need the camera insurance. It never ceases to amaze me that some photographers wear their equipment the way they would jewelry.

The Hartford offers worldwide equipment coverage at replacement cost for a very reasonable price.  I got my policy through Hill & Usher agency, which you should be able to find online.  If I recall correctly The Hartford's policy does limit you to being outside the US no more than 31 days at a time, but no limit on how many times a year.  I've had my policy several years but have never had to file a claim.

Thanks for the thread, I already read that as well. Nothing in there in terms of travel equipment insurance. I'm still searching.

??? . . . this from that thread:

"I am insured through State Farm. Nothing fancy, just regular business insurance for the gear and an umbrella policy for the liability side. Yes, it would cover theft when traveling."

and:

"I receive $15.000 of equipment insurance through PPA (Professional Photographers of America) membership. Member just needs to be sure to opt into it.

$15,000 of coverage paid for by PPA

Loss due to fire, theft or equipment breakage

Worldwide, off-premises or "on location" coverage

U.S. and Puerto Rico-based Professional Active or Life members are eligible

Additional coverage and General liability are available for additional fees."

. . . both from US-based photographers.

dd

PPA costs $7354/yr. I'm looking for something more affordable.

I do not want business insurance and an umbrella policy.  I just want to insure my equipment in case it gets stolen or damaged while I'm traveling, without all the silly exclusions such as mysterious disappearance not covered (whatever they considered a mysterious disappearance) etc. 

State Farms does not offer just equipment insurance while traveling.  I do not own a house, a car or any other things I would like to insure.  I don't rent either.

Philipe is probably right that there is no no such policy that would actually cover these things.

There's always self-insurance.. So many years' saved premiums against the cost of a loss every so many years.

Unless a loss would put you out of business it's worth thinking about.

Yes, you are right.  I need to calculate this.  It probably makes more sense.

I am with State Farm in Canada. I have all of my insurance with one agent. Cars, business, house, and camera equipment as a extra cost rider on my house policy. Be travel savvy, and you will not need the camera insurance. It never ceases to amaze me that some photographers wear their equipment the way they would jewelry.

I too have my camera equipment covered under an added house insurance rider. The company (Wawanesa) claims to pay for camera theft when travelling. However, I've never had anything stolen, and when I think about all the money I've paid over the years, I wonder if it has been worth shelling out for coverage. I could have bought a lot of new equipment with all that cash. Not being a fan of insurance companies in general, I also wonder how much they would actually pay if something were stolen. That said, I renewed my policy recently.

Sucker born every minute or wise decision? I don't know.

Insurance is an essential, not an option. Its a cost of doing business. And at typically 1%-1.5% of the value of the kit covered per annum it's a cost I'm willing to bear. And every time i've had to claim there has been no problem

km

Talking about equipment only, at that percentage even I would carry it but the problem is the minimum. It depends what you have. I've never had more than a couple of thousands' worth of equipment at one time and no-one will write such a small premium.

Edit; eating my words. yes they will. Just found one at about 3% of sum insured. Thanks, Keith, I would never have bothered if you hadn't mentioned it.

I follow a pro event photographer on Twitter who had all his gear taken from supposedly secure area whilst on a job. He tweeted out that the insurance had been fantastic and had new equipment delivered to him next day. (He borrowed kit for rest of that day). So for someone with a pipeline of work that kind of assistance would be invaluable.

I'm traveling for pleasure not for business (although if I end up putting any of the images here on Alamy, then it could be considered business).  The chances of it being lost in a fire while traveling are slimmer than theft.  I'd like the insurance to cover theft including what they consider "mysterious" (I still don't know what they consider mysterious).  I'm guessing that if the equipment is stolen from my car and let's say there is no visible serious damage to the car, they will consider it mysterious.  Or if someone puts a gun to my head and takes my equipment I have no proof of any of that and it will be considered mysterious.  So I'm wondering what's the point.  But I do have around $20,000 worth of equipment :(

"I'm traveling for pleasure not for business (although if I end up putting any of the images here on Alamy, then it could be considered business)."

You have 5000+ images here......as far as any insurance company would be concerned you are in business, whether or not you put any images from that particular trip up for sale

km

"I'm traveling for pleasure not for business (although if I end up putting any of the images here on Alamy, then it could be considered business)."

You have 5000+ images here......as far as any insurance company would be concerned you are in business, whether or not you put any images from that particular trip up for sale

km

Sure, OK.  Still doesn't help me find the right insurance.

Insurance companies do not lose money so if you are cautious and sensible self insurance could be an option. I have never had anything stolen in 35 years of using professional gear. That said I have some cover in my household and travel insurance. All my gear is registered with Nikon Professional and is marked with Smartwater.

dov

Insurance is essential, as with any other business (and is of course an allowable expense) - not so far had anything stolen but did once have a seriously dropped Nikon and 24/70 (10 feet onto a stone surface) 2 days before a big foreign shoot - replacement kit couriered out to me the same day, full body and lens rebuild, no charge bar the excess.

As Keith said insurance is essential I also have public liability just in case . Peace of mind .

Jon

Public liability insurance must be expensive. What kind of situations does it cover?

If I hurt someone or damage property when working, I am covered for a few million quid. It's about the cheapest insurance you can get, mine is about £60 on top of my camera equipment/office equipment insurance. Personally i don't want to have to stump up £16k if both my bags are pinched. Since it's tax deductible, it's a no-brainier. I also cannot hire certain locations without having PR and work with others on occasion without it.

Archived