I got a notice from Apple that some hard drives are failing, and my iMac is in that group.

Apple will put a new hard drive in my computer, free, but strongly advises for me to back up the one I have first. I have a Dropbox account, 1 T. I checked my Mac's HD, and I should be able to back mine up on Dropbox with room to spare.

I understand how to backup my image folders by simply sliding them on to the Dropbox folder I created. But I want to backup the whole hard drive, and all my software, and don't understand the steps to do it.

You realize, because I've stated it many times, I'm just not very technical. It was rather a miracle I found the area to know how much info was on my Mac's HD.

If anyone that knows how I can do this and can spare the time to give me the steps, I'd be eternally grateful.

Betty

I'm not near my MacBook right now, so I can only give vague instructions. But it's easy, so don't worry

Plug an external drive into your Mac, and go to preferences, and then Time Machine. Set your external drive to be your Time Machine back up, and wait for the magic to happen!

When your new drive is fitted, after starting up, you should be asked if you want to restore from a back up. Say yes (press yes, don't just say it out loud) and wait for more magic to happen..

More detailed information can be had from Mr Google - he likes to help.

Thank you, Ian, but I want to backup to Dropbox.

I do have two new desktop HDs, but my old ones are full and I want to use the new ones for my images, since I mirror them. I assume it would work with Dropbox.

I guess I could use one of the new ones to backup to, then once my computer is fixed, reformat/delete everything? Hmmm, as I type this, I'm thinking I ought to just buy a new one and keep everything on it instead of wiping when done. Hook it up periodically to backup the latest stuff.

I'm not sure what internet connection you have but 1tb is a lot of data to put into Dropbox. I don't think that it's the best way for you to do it even with a fast internet upload.

I agree with Ian that Time Machine is a good idea for this sort of thing. It will also make sure that your system files and set up are transferred back smoothly.

The other option is to use free software like SuperDuper.

Michael

Agree with Time Machine as actually that's it's main function, i. e. To back up your system in the event of a H/D failure.

Conversely, why not take the machine to the Apple centre and ask them to do the work. They are after all going to replace the H/D.

Hope this helps.

ReeRay, I've been thinking the same thing. It is Apple's bad hard drives, no fault of my own. They are putting the onus on the buyers/users, and not all of us understand how to backup our systems. I'm sure most do, most aren't as dumb as I, but why should I have to go buy a HD because Apple messed up?

I've been reading some threads where users used Time Machine, then couldn't find their work (photos, videos) again. One person's document folder was gone. It was mainly the folders they had on their desktops. It was one guy's professional work product. He even downloaded a program to help find them, with no results. He assumed it was all there, wiped his old computer and sold it. Installed the backup on the new one, and couldn't find ANY of the desktop stuff. Darn, he should have checked to see if it was there if it was so important before wiping his old computer. Maybe I would have made that assumption, too.

All of that scares me. As easy as Time Machine is supposed to be, there are choices to be made within Time Machine, and I don't understand the lingo. And heaven knows, I for sure wouldn't have the skills to hunt for my files!

If I don't use Dropbox for backup, I guess I could separately backup all of my desktop to Dropbox. The stuff I am working on.

Betty. Take all options. Belt and bracers eh?

Use Dropbox for your images, Time Machine as recommended and then take the machine to Apple. They will remove the H/D, replace it and then reinstall all from the original H/D. And just to make sure (sure) tell THEM to back it all up.

That gives you 4 avenues of recovery.

I'd be comfortable with that!

I use Carbon Copy Cloner, which will do one-off back-ups to an external hard drive, for instance, and can also be programmed to back up changes every day, according to a schedule you set.  It used to be free (with a donation) but you now have to pay for it.  I don't think it's expensive, though.  Thoroughly recommended; I have used it for several years for scheduled back ups as well as backing up "on demand" to a portable hard drive that I leave with neighbours while I'm away from home, for instance.  It has never let me down.

Chris

Betty as a matter of interest I have an iMac and am wondering which model/year yours is and which type of HD it has in it?

Allan

After reading this thread I decided to check Time Machine and discovered my computer hasn't been backed-up since April 25. Then I realized the drive wasn't mounted on the desktop or listed in the finder window.

Disk Utility reports it's a "Sibling Link" error and is trying to repair the disk as I type.

It's an old LaCie drive so maybe it's just a coincidence but this is the third hard drive issue, associated with Apple computers, I've come across in the past week.

Betty, I use SuperDuper regularly. They have an option to make a "bootable clone" and you can do "smart updates" that don't involve copying everything all over. That way I always have a duplicate of my hard drive on an external hard drive in case of problems. I keep one here and one in a bank safe deposit box. Maybe living in New York City makes me more security conscious. It is really easy to use. I don't do any of the fancy things it offers. I just make copies of my computer hard drive and also of the external hard drive I keep my photos and Lightroom backups on. When I have had a question I have received a very clear reply by email within hours. Maybe something to think about even if you have Apple do this backup.

Paulette

I'll be calling the local Apple Store today and asking what my options are. I appreciate all of the suggestions you all have offered. It is apparent that I need to buy another drive for backups, which I've never done.

In my many years of owning computers, I've never had a hard drive fail. I've only been concerned with putting two copies on desktop HDs. Now, another worry.

This forum is the best.

I too am greatful for this thread as checking my machine I also fall into the recall. Where's my "local" Apple Store? Singapore!

Not what I wanted for sure. I've just had to send my Leica M240 back to Germany on a recall (strap lugs) and God only knows when that'll be returned.

Sigh!

I too am greatful for this thread as checking my machine I also fall into the recall. Where's my "local" Apple Store? Singapore!

You should maybe weigh up what it's going to cost you not having your Mac for a week or two against the price of a new external USB3 hard drive (assuming your Mac is USB3). These are less than £100 here now and are fast enough to keep and open your images from them rather than from an internal drive. You could back up your OS in case of internal drive failure and make sure everything else is backed up externally as well. This is basically the thinking with the newer Macs now anyway, with a smallish solid state internal drive and everything else external. I have found that USB3 is as fast as Thunderbolt and is way cheaper.

I'm still on the 20" screen iMac I bought in 2008. The HD was failing right out of the box when I got it, and Apple replace the HD on the warranty. At the Apple Store in Soho, they did not help or advise as to backup. I had a WD HD attached with Time Machine then. TM did not work as I expected it to, and I lost about 1/3 of my RAW images. I save to a standalone HD manually now, since I obviously did not/do not understand or trust Time Machine.

Betty: this is NOT advice. I am not a person to give tech advice. This is just a half-remembered story of what happened with me and my iMac and Time Machine. 

Good luck. 

My wife and I have separate iMacs that use Time Machine for backups.  Mine is connected directly to our wireless router via an ethernet cable.  Her's uses WiFi to access the router as it's in the other end of the house.  We wanted a solution for backups of both systems without a separate backup drive on each Mac.

We decided on an NAS (Network Attached Storage) unit for backing up both iMac's on one central device.  The NAS plugs into one of the wireless router's ethernet ports.    The NAS uses 2 drives in a RAID configuration with two "partitions" to store separate backups - one for hers and the other for mine.   Each iMac's Time Machine is configured to use the appropriate partition on the NAS.   

We chose a Synology NAS (DS214) which uses 2 drives.  Synology has great hardware, software, and information/help to setup and maintain the NAS.  

https://www.synology.com/en-us/dsm/data_backup#desktop

If you need to backup more than one system NAS deserves serious consideration.

Phil, you made my head hurt.

Ed, your story is what scares me. I went out and bought two Seagate Backup Plus units, 4Terabyte each. The simple HDs I have been using don't seem to be available at Best Buy. The guy said it was just a matter of plugging one in and there would be simple instructions.

Not simple for me. Had to install it, and choose Mac, not PC install. Then install the desktop app for it. Yet I saw no option for backing up my computer, when Internet instructions clearly show an icon for the computer. I have no idea if what I did Is doing a d**n thing. Which was choosing the Seagate drive and my Mac's HD icon. Which doesn't match what I should have been seeing.

It says, "in progress" but it's been stuck on 1% for 4 hours. I realize this isn't something that can be done quickly, but surely I should see some progress? Like move to 2% after 4 hours?

I have an appt. to take my Mac in to the Apple store tomorrow at 12:45. I will probably have to cancel and take it to Best Buy along with one of the new HDs and let them do the backup, since they are the ones that sold me the new HDs. Plus I'm too p**sed off to pay Apple a dime.

You have no idea how close to tears I am as I speak. Oh, for somebody that knows how to do this stuff!

Sign me,

Pulling my hair out!

Ray, thanks for the encouragement. I'm getting ready for bed, and went in to check progress. Much to my surprise, it said backup was complete.

Of course, I didn't believe a word of it. (What was with that 1%?) So I opened bridge. Went to computer, clicked on the drive. A whole bunch of files are there. All of my desktop folders and everything else on my hard drive is on the Seagate. I opened folders to make sure the files were really there, and they are!!! I picked my jaw off the floor.

The old adage that even a blind squirrel can find a nut sometimes holds true in my case. This blind squirrel is taking her nut to bed. ;)

According to Apple it's the 27 inch iMac, 3 tb drive, sold between December 2012 and September 2013.

https://www.apple.com/support/imac-harddrive-3tb/

Thanks for that fD.

My iMac is 27" but later model with SSD. Pheew.

Allan

Betty - hope your headache is gone now  - at least the one my previous post induced  ;-)

In any case - be aware that in the future if the harddrive (or any component) in your iMac is replaced with a non-Apple "approved" part even if the part is replaced by an Apple Authorized Service Provider Apple will refuse servicing/replacing that part even if you offer pay for it like you have plague.  

Ask me how I know.

im sure apple will have a checker on their site, for anyone who is wondering if they are affected.

im a PC user, and use a SSD - solid state drive (no spinning parts just like a usb stick), for the main "working" data, and then back up to external drives. solid state is usually faster than spinny drives for working data.

one kept with me, one kept offsite, and then i have photoshelter which would enable me to download the same high-res files back if needed.

ive never had a "spinning" hard drive fail, but i think its because i (usually) upgrade my full pc every few years. BUT they do fail, even the slowest ones spin at 5400 RPM, seeking data. mechanical wear and tear with motors etc.

i have heard good things about "drobo" this is an enclosure that you can put drives into and if one or even 2 fails, u can swap them out and it will still have all your data safe. not cheap though! and there may be better solutions now, last time i read up on this stuff was a good 18 mths ago.

Betty - hope your headache is gone now - at least the one my previous post induced ;-)

In any case - be aware that in the future if the harddrive (or any component) in your iMac is replaced with a non-Apple "approved" part even if the part is replaced by an Apple Authorized Service Provider Apple will refuse servicing/replacing that part even if you offer pay for it like you have plague.

Ask me how I know.

Not satisfied with giving me a technical headache, now you are trying to terrorize me. ;)

I'm already going crazy. Two hours after dropping off the Mac, I started to jump up and finish a folder I shot a couple of days ago. Oops. 10 minutes later, I remembered an image I wanted to do artistic things to for FFA. Oops.

Thank heavens for my iPad. At least I can make a pest of myself on the forum. I hate losing the work time. Guess I'll just have to go shoot.

Archived