Location Location Location

Just curious - what would others do?

You take a photo of a bridge that crosses a river which is a county boundary. The photo shows the bridge and not much else, so which county goes in the location? The one where you're standing (say Hereshire)? Or the one towards which your camera is pointing (say Thereshire, though the photo doesn't actually show anything of it)?

The local town is over in Thereshire. So if you answered Hereshire to the first question, do you then give the location as Sometown, Hereshire  (which is clearly wrong)?.

My own solution is to use Sometown,Thereshire but to include Hereshire in the keywords. But I wondered if I've overlooked a different solution.

Alan

Hello Alan,

If 5 meters behind the border of Germany is standing a church and i take a photo of the Church on Dutch ground 1 meter from the German border i will not put in the description Netherlands while the church is in Germany. The fact that i am standing on Dutch ground is irrelevant. On the photo i see only the German church. If i would had a wide angle i cloud go two meters further and i would be in German ground and the photo looks exactly the same.

Your case in my opinion is not different. That whats on the photo is important and also that what the buyer is looking for. No buyer is interested where you are standing. With a zoom lens 500 meters from the bridge or with an wide angle 100 meters.

This is my opinion. I remember this discussions in the past here and there where different opinions about it. ........ Waiting for the contra :)

Mirco

In location I would put as " river border between Hereshire and Thereshire". In the keywords I would put bridge over whatever river that separates Hereshire and Thereshire. Someone might search for that so you would need both names but in the comprehensive section

Jill

I would put all those proper nouns in the keywords, Alan -- there are only a few. 

I always put the location in both the caption and the keywords -- if I want it known. I had a sale of a sign the other day that said "Open 7 Days." I did not put in a location, because it's the concept that's important, and I did not want to limit it to NYC or the USA. In fact it sold in the UK. 

I'm not positive, Jill, but I don't thing the Location Box above the Date is searchable any longer. ??? 

Edo

Well, just enter some town or the other.  :)

I would enter the location of the main subject in the image and in the description tell where the photo is taken from. Both names may or may not be necessary in the keywords. In the case with the bridge I would enter the to and fro names.

I often do that with images taken in the port of Copenhagen across the main harbour channel / canal (it is both) - as the two sides have different place names, though all of it is Copenhagen.

I know GPS recording cameras will deal with this differently, but my camera doesn't have this feature - yet... 

PS - and, of course, enter the name of any waterway the bridge may cross in both caption / description and in the keywords.

I would put all those proper nouns in the keywords, Alan -- there are only a few. 

I always put the location in both the caption and the keywords -- if I want it known. I had a sale of a sign the other day that said "Open 7 Days." I did not put in a location, because it's the concept that's important, and I did not want to limit it to NYC or the USA. In fact it sold in the UK. 

I'm not positive, Jill, but I don't thing the Location Box above the Date is searchable any longer. ??? 

Edo

I know its not searchable, but if you don't put it in the keywords then if someone is looking for that bridge or doing a book or story on border bridges in the UK, then it could be helpful. It may be important to say in their book or article where that bridge is located, It certainly can't hurt. I try to always put the location in just in case that is an important part of the search. They can check.

Jill

Jill

I would always put everything in the keywords anyway, and I'm quite happy with how I would create captions and keywords, but really it's just curiosity about a generic question: how do you actually define the location of a photograph when the subject straddles two counties, the camera is in one of them, the town is in the other, and the the photo shows only the connecting bridge and nothing else? It's almost a rhetorical question because I suspect there is no definitive answer.

Alan

To me the answer is very simple. The location is the exact spot where the camera was placed. This is totally objective, in this case Hereshire.  This is what a GPS would say. The only way it could then involve two counties would be if the camera was placed in a position that actually straddled the border. The subject of the picture is the bridge which is then described in the description and in the keywords. Thereshire and Hereshire would also be included in the keywords and the description.

To take a few examples, I have loads of pictures of Teide Volcano in Tenerife taken from three of the other Canary Islands as well as Tenerife itself. Clearly to my mind, the location is where the picture was taken from, not the subject of the picture which is more than 100 km away in several of the pictures. If somebody else wanted to repeat my picture, then they would go to where the picture was taken from and that to me is the location. I wouldn't send them to Tenerife, I would send them to Gran Canaria or wherever. I fail to see how anything else could be valid for the location.

I also have pictures of the Irish Sea, taken from Killiney Hill near Dublin, with the mountains of Snowdonia in Wales visible in the background. Clearly my location was not the sea or my gear would have had a right soaking, nor was it Snowdonia about 150 km away.

An extreme example would be a picture of the moon or some other celestial object. The location would clearly not be the moon unless it was actually taken from the moon itself.

Mirco doesn't agree I know.

Ok. I wanted to mention you before ..... but i was hoping somehow that you had no time to go into the forum or something .... But i see that you are back :D . I think lets just ignore eachother and lets concentrate on the other answers .....

But i still want to mention that the end product is the photo. What you see is what you get :rolleyes: .

Location of the subject matter. Location of the photographer is irrelevant and sometimes misleading.

If subject is on a border keyword and caption in with both locations as I did here. Foreground is Toronto, background is in Pickering.

morning-rush-hour-in-the-toronto-bound-l

"Location of the subject matter. Location of the photographer is irrelevant and sometimes misleading.

If subject is on a border keyword and caption in with both locations as I did here. Foreground is Toronto, background is in Pickering." -- BB

Totally logical, I feel. We are, after all, trying to help a buyer find our image.

I live in a series of adjacent neighborhoods in Lower Manhattan: Little Italy, Chinatown, Nolita, and SoHo. Just a bit further afield there's the Lower Eastside, Greenwich Village, and TriBeCa. I know the border streets of all these areas, but I seriously doubt that buyers outside of NYC do. So when I have an image that is on or close to a border street I put in both area names. I have a lot of images captured on Layette Street, which separates SoHo from Nolita . . . so I include both neighborhoods in my keywords. Most out of towners think the border street is Broadway. It's not. 

Each one of us has to make a judgement call for location and keywords for every image. That's what I do. 

Edo

Interesting. I've been to Iguazu, and that image looks as if it was taken from the Brazil side. However, the huge area that is the many many falls does not run in a straight line, so perhaps I'm wrong. (The shooter probably knows what country he was in.) "Seen from" is a good idea.  :)

http://edoruan2.blogspot.com/2014/11/south-of-border-imagined-danger-was-my.html

Archived