UK photographer hits back at Taylor Swift over imposing photography restrictions

A must read for everyone. Taylor Swift has just won a victory over Apple, but at the same time she (or her management) restricts photographers at her concerts. A must read. 

http://metro.co.uk/2015/06/22/photographer-accuses-taylor-swift-of-being-a-hypocrite-over-copyright-in-new-open-letter-following-her-apple-victory-5257575/?fb_ref=Default

i heard a similar thing of "mehgan trainor", but shes relatiely new compared to taylor.

perhaps the same management or something somewhere along the lines, or a worrying new "trend".

I suppose the fact that she can do this suggests where the balance of power lies.

There will be any number of photographers available to work at her gigs, but there's only one T Swift.

wouldnt the adage of, you should never delete any images even when asked, override this?

your property, your finger on the shutter.

as is usually said as advice, when police etc, try to get you to remove film or del.

And I just spotted this on Petapixel. If true, they can destroy your equipment if you fail to comply.

I can see interesting court cases ensuing if it ever comes to pass

http://petapixel.com/2015/06/23/taylor-swift-photo-contract-break-our-rules-and-we-can-break-your-gear/

wouldnt the adage of, you should never delete any images even when asked, override this?

your property, your finger on the shutter.

as is usually said as advice, when police etc, try to get you to remove film or del.

And I just spotted this on Petapixel. If true, they can destroy your equipment if you fail to comply.

I can see interesting court cases ensuing if it ever comes to passhttp://petapixel.com/2015/06/23/taylor-swift-photo-contract-break-our-rules-and-we-can-break-your-gear/

I know little about the law, but I guess a contract trumps an adage. It does depend on you handing over the items required, though.

yes true, but as a good rule of thumb, u shouldnt delete anything if asked,

and im sure if your required to, only a court order or similar would do.,

but sad to say, there WILL be photographer who will sign the contract, 1000's wouldnt, 1 would.. either way, mrs swift wins.

ya takes ya chances.. always plenty ready to step in your shoes i guess,

A lot of "Pop" bands have done this for a while, The Stone Roses did it for their comeback tour a couple of years ago, it's a bit like footballers with their image rights, you now have acts who think they are so important, they want to stop anyone else from earning off the back of them.

Some of the older bands At Arenas have you far away, so Its difficult to take photos, or use a lot of red LED's in the first three songs, then all of a sudden, the lighting is good.

Funny though because as has been mentioned tons of photos & videos are taken using smart phones, but the only band I've heard of who did ban them at their concerts, either last year or 2013, I think was The Eagles, who instructed the security in their Arena tours to tell people to put their phones away when they got them out to take photos.

Archived