Help with Registering USA & uk CopyRight

hi all,

im going to be registering latest batch of copyright images, and hopefully using the electronic deposit this time, after looking up tutorial online on how to go through step by step.

im just wondering, can i resize the images, or do they need the full-fat versions? i have also emailed the USA office, but they say it can take 5 business days, so thought i'd ask anyone on here who may have also been through this.

i was thinking resizing to 800x640 or similar would allow enough detail to be seen, so it can be proven its my image etc

also has anyone ever used the UK copyright service - UKCS, which is a paid for service kinda like the USA one, which offers proof of registration if needed.

thanks

dan

I can't remember where I got these instructions but they are to make jpegs, file name only, 72 resolution, 70 quality, sRGB, sharpen for screen, 400 pixels on long side, minimize metadata and include copyright.

Paulette

Last batch of US copyright office images were 640 on long side. Not sure why anyone in photography (shooting raws) would need to use the UK copyright service - barge pole anyone?

Their is no national UK, no legit purchasable copyright service; like the U.S.A. 

Have you checked gov.uk out?

All the so called UK companies, who sell you copyright "protection" are just jokes.  

They just charge an admin fee per image or whatever: They give no benefits, which you can already do for free. 

https://www.gov.uk/copyright

https://www.gov.uk/intellectual-property/copyright

yea, it does seem that way with regard to the UK "promises", a lot more flimsy compared to the USA system.

thanks for the info guys, its good to know i should be ok, resizing for upload. apart from that the only other specifications i can see, are files must be under 500mb, which should be fine, especially if resize AND .zip / .rar file them up.

yea, it does seem that way with regard to the UK "promises", a lot more flimsy compared to the USA system.

thanks for the info guys, its good to know i should be ok, resizing for upload. apart from that the only other specifications i can see, are files must be under 500mb, which should be fine, especially if resize AND .zip / .rar file them up.

Forgive my ignorance, but what "promises" does the US system provide above and beyond the automatic (and cost-free) creation of copyright that occurs in the UK (and elsewhere)?

Or, as others have alluded to above, what does a UK copyright "service" provide beyond what is bestowed on the rest of us for free?

dd

the ability to persue "punitive" damages is the USA big one,

aka, u can pursue more than what a legit licence would cost,

because there are many stories of people only getting back what the licence (if granted) would have cost anyway. where USA system i believe, allows you to pursue damages for costs / and punishments for the flagrancy of it.

thats as i understand it anyway. anyone feel free to add anything more.

the ability to persue "punitive" damages is the USA big one,

aka, u can pursue more than what a legit licence would cost,

because there are many stories of people only getting back what the licence (if granted) would have cost anyway. where USA system i believe, allows you to pursue damages for costs / and punishments for the flagrancy of it.

thats as i understand it anyway. anyone feel free to add anything more.

So the chatter on the internet goes . . . have you read this fairly informed piece? I think the comments about why NOT to sue are worth a second look . . . as is the bit about the actual market value of an image.

There may indeed be many stories about these matters (not sure exactly where they are, but hey . . . ), but the reality is sometimes a rather more nuanced situation.

dd

• 4 months later...

hi all,

im going to be registering latest batch of copyright images, and hopefully using the electronic deposit this time, after looking up tutorial online on how to go through step by step.

im just wondering, can i resize the images, or do they need the full-fat versions? i have also emailed the USA office, but they say it can take 5 business days, so thought i'd ask anyone on here who may have also been through this.

i was thinking resizing to 800x640 or similar would allow enough detail to be seen, so it can be proven its my image etc

also has anyone ever used the UK copyright service - UKCS, which is a paid for service kinda like the USA one, which offers proof of registration if needed. 

thanks

dan

Just post your contact sheets to yourself. That's the most you can do in the UK. As copyright exists at the time of creation, the postal route just gives a confirmed date. Keep the envelope as proof. The US system also has copyright at the moment of creation but the registration system allows for statutory damages and legal fees.  These UK registration systems are a joke and prey on the ignorant.  Even better, shoot raw. The taking date is embedded in Nikon's NEF and, as far as I know, there's no way to change this. Most decent Nikon cameras have an authentication system in their firmware. JPGs also have this but as the EXIF can be easily accessed, is less trustworthy. Dunno about Canon's system.

Just post your contact sheets to yourself. That's the most you can do in the UK. As copyright exists at the time of creation, the postal route just gives a confirmed date. Keep the envelope as proof. The US system also has copyright at the moment of creation but the registration system allows for statutory damages and legal fees.  These UK registration systems are a joke and prey on the ignorant.  Even better, shoot raw. The taking date is embedded in Nikon's NEF and, as far as I know, there's no way to change this. Most decent Nikon cameras have an authentication system in their firmware. JPGs also have this but as the EXIF can be easily accessed, is less trustworthy. Dunno about Canon's system.

Make sure you don't open the envelope though.  :unsure: Even then, it's hardly proof. Envelopes can easily be opened and resealed, or even posted to oneself unsealed, and the contact sheets added later and then the envelope is sealed.

It's much easier to just keep the RAW files as you suggest.

Make sure you don't open the envelope though.  :unsure: Even then, it's hardly proof. Envelopes can easily be opened and resealed, or even posted to oneself unsealed, and the contact sheets added later and then the envelope is sealed.

It's much easier to just keep the RAW files as you suggest.

Or go back even further in time... ;) :)

Archived