Images not showing with the right orientation

Hi guys,

I just wanted to share my experience with images not showing with the right orientation in the submission lots. The interesting fact is that apparently the original images on my computer are all in the right orientation, however after uploading the all the images are becoming from portrait to landscape. This issue is only with my last 2 uploads.

Have you ever experienced such a problem?

I have notified the MS and recovery efforts are underway, however all the images with wrong orientation are back to the QC again.

I'll keep you posted for the workflow required to correct the problem.

Not an expert on this - and haven't had the problem. What I once read was that even if you have turned the image the EXIF data may still contain information of the old orientation (if any EXIF data - you did not mention whether you photograph in RAW format). If this is the problem - then Google may be your friend.

Not an expert on this - and haven't had the problem. What I once read was that even if you have turned the image the EXIF data may still contain information of the old orientation (if any EXIF data - you did not mention whether you photograph in RAW format). If this is the problem - then Google may be your friend.

Thanks for the advice Niels,

The images are in jpg format.

You must have changed your workflow at some time because there are a few upright format shots displaying properly from your earlier uploads. I haven't looked in detail at lots of your images, but it would appear to me that you are probably shooting jpegs in camera and not adjusting much if anything in even a basic digital tool like iPhoto (for Macs) or Photoshop Elements. There are even some free applications out there if you don't want to invest in software.

Three to check out: Picasa, Fotor, and GIMP. and you can do free 30 day trials of many like Lightroom and Photoshop Elements

If you have great light and absolutely nail the exposure, your camera can produce pretty good images for upload. But the rest of the time you really need to adjust some colours and contrast. And whip out any pesky dust spots or distant birds which look like flaws. I'm surprised QC didn't pick up on your orientation problem but they only check a few random images and it seems almost 20 of yours have slipped through.

As you are fairly new to Alamy, Member Services may offer helpful suggestions, but at the end of the day, Alamy will expect you to be up to speed with the basic technicalities

Sorry if that sounds harsh, we all have some learning to do and it never stops.

good luck!

You must have changed your workflow at some time because there are a few upright format shots displaying properly from your earlier uploads. I haven't looked in detail at lots of your images, but it would appear to me that you are probably shooting jpegs in camera and not adjusting much if anything in even a basic digital tool like iPhoto (for Macs) or Photoshop Elements. There are even some free applications out there if you don't want to invest in software.

Three to check out: Picasa, Fotor, and GIMP. and you can do free 30 day trials of many like Lightroom and Photoshop Elements

If you have great light and absolutely nail the exposure, your camera can produce pretty good images for upload. But the rest of the time you really need to adjust some colours and contrast. And whip out any pesky dust spots or distant birds which look like flaws. I'm surprised QC didn't pick up on your orientation problem but they only check a few random images and it seems almost 20 of yours have slipped through.

As you are fairly new to Alamy, Member Services may offer helpful suggestions, but at the end of the day, Alamy will expect you to be up to speed with the basic technicalities

Sorry if that sounds harsh, we all have some learning to do and it never stops.

good luck!

Thanks Robert, your advice is highly appreciated.

Regards

Here is the workflow for correcting the orientation if needed after uploading the images to Alamy:

1. Detect the images with the wrong orientation and record the Alamy ref# as well as the personal ref#

2. Upload the images with correct orientation to Alamy for QC

3. After images pass the QC record the Alamy ref# of the new corrected files

4. Send IM an email (im@alamy.com) with the list of files quoted by the Alamy ref# and personla ref# for replacement

All it takes is 2-3 days to get everything corrected, the keywords are passed to the new files from IM services.

I hope this helps.

Archived