I used to save my processed files in Tiff. No more. I keep a copy of the jpegs I upload to Alamy only so I know which images I have processed when I go back to look at a folder. I have those marked in the file name.

If I decide to reprocess an image, I do it with the raw file. The past couple of days I've been revisiting some images I took in 2008, these were processed with PS version 2003! After changing it to 2012, I reprocessed, and the new files are far superior to the old. Some of the improvement is due to the later version of PS, some of it is due to my skills growing through the years. I'm getting a kick seeing how lovely these images, taken with my D200 are. Although I see more noise, and less than great transition areas compared to the later cameras. I'd forgotten about that, lol!

Some of these I will resubmit, and if they pass, I'll put the old version up for deletion. But there are a lot of new images to submit, because some of them after cropping for best effect with a 10mp camera, were too small to withstand the interpolation to 48mb back in the day when that was the standard. All of these newly processed images, cropped, are over the 17mb currently required! All good.

I think the CC is great. If I ever decide to quit, I'll still have my Raw files to use with something else. But I expect to stick with it as long as I'm involved with photography. Barring Adobe raising subscription price to something unreasonable.

Betty

Betty, this is where ACR is great. The problem with tiffs is that if you make a lot of changes in PS, then they become these huge files. So along with a big RAW file, you have a big TIFF file as well as the jpg. With doing changes in ACR, all the changes are in the xmp file that goes with the RAW and don't cause these huge files that hog so much disk space. The only time I save a TIFF or PSD is if I do a lot of fudging with the picture using Content Aware or the Patch tool or use my Topaz filters. Don't want to do that again if I want to resubmit elsewhere or change something up.

And as I mentioned before, that defringe slider is a godsend for me. 

Jill

BTW, whatever resides on your computer processed with CC will always reside on your computer. As long as the original files are there, and as long as you saved processed files back to your hard drives, you will not lose them if you quit CC. That is a misconception. The only things that disappear is the software. Not sure about DNG, I don't save in that format.

I never download directly into LR. I download to my desktop folder with date/subject, then take them into LR. Processed images are saved directly back into my original desktop folder, then copied onto two mirrored external drives.

I used to save my processed files in Tiff. No more. I keep a copy of the jpegs I upload to Alamy only so I know which images I have processed when I go back to look at a folder. I have those marked in the file name.

If I decide to reprocess an image, I do it with the raw file. The past couple of days I've been revisiting some images I took in 2008, these were processed with PS version 2003! After changing it to 2012, I reprocessed, and the new files are far superior to the old. Some of the improvement is due to the later version of PS, some of it is due to my skills growing through the years. I'm getting a kick seeing how lovely these images, taken with my D200 are. Although I see more noise, and less than great transition areas compared to the later cameras. I'd forgotten about that, lol!

Some of these I will resubmit, and if they pass, I'll put the old version up for deletion. But there are a lot of new images to submit, because some of them after cropping for best effect with a 10mp camera, were too small to withstand the interpolation to 48mb back in the day when that was the standard. All of these newly processed images, cropped, are over the 17mb currently required! All good.

I think the CC is great. If I ever decide to quit, I'll still have my Raw files to use with something else. But I expect to stick with it as long as I'm involved with photography. Barring Adobe raising subscription price to something unreasonable.

Betty

Betty, this is where ACR is great. The problem with tiffs is that if you make a lot of changes in PS, then they become these huge files. So along with a big RAW file, you have a big TIFF file as well as the jpg. With doing changes in ACR, all the changes are in the xmp file that goes with the RAW and don't cause these huge files that hog so much disk space. The only time I save a TIFF or PSD is if I do a lot of fudging with the picture using Content Aware or the Patch tool or use my Topaz filters. Don't want to do that again if I want to resubmit elsewhere or change something up.

And as I mentioned before, that defringe slider is a godsend for me. 

Jill

If I were to sumit to another agency, I'd just use the jpegs I already saved. All processed and ready to go.

Do the sums on the cc version and factor in upgrades....

How long have you used the student version? What is the license terms? Are you still within it's terms of use? ( just questions, we moan about others abusing our licenses)....

Back to CC as I say, do the sums and compare with buying along with upgrade costs.... Other options are pixelmator on the Mac... Very very good.... I used Lightroom and pixelmator in the past and am now on CC, not due to a deficiency in the software, actually down to vfm.... Don't get in the "I'm not renting" mindset... It's a bad way to think... Business is business....

I did the math, too. I usually upgraded PS every other year, unless a new feature came along I couldn't live without. Can't remember if the upgrade was $200 or $300. If it was $200, if the smaller amount, that averaged out over $8.00 a month. The larger amount averaged $12.50. And that doesn't include LR upgrades, which puts the smaller amount at $11.60 a month.

I think I have a good deal. Plus I don't have to wait two years to get new features. I still say he upright tool in LR is the greatest thing since hair dryers were invented.

Two other options for Mac are Hasselblad Phocus (free) which I think uses the Apple library RAW files - although there may be a problem at the moment with Yosemite, or Iridient developer, which can use either it's own RAW database or the Apple library. Neither are the best catalogue libraries, although I think they can be integrated with outside viewers, they both convert well, but can be a bit clunky - ok if you don't have masses of images to sort through.

Iridient costs about 99 USD and you get free updates for at least 18 months ( maybe 24) and a discount if you upgrade after that.

Julie, I'm not sure who you are directing your comment to about student software but in my case the student software was legally obtained since I'm working on my thesis. This thread was started to help me select between editing packages and I'm only considering full retail options.

Don't get in the "I'm not renting" mindset... It's a bad way to think... Business is business....

Very true, rent assets that lose their value, buy assets that will gain in value.... business 101.

Julie, I'm not sure who you are directing your comment to about student software but in my case the student software was legally obtained since I'm working on my thesis. This thread was started to help me select between editing packages and I'm only considering full retail options.

They were just questions for you to consider, thats all, nothing "aimed" :) 

Additional interesting note on the student additions though: It seems it depends on where you are in the world if you can use the student editions for commercial work. See: https://forums.adobe.com/thread/453900 

I have just gone through a lot of this as I have been an Aperture user for years and as its been "discontinued" and Photos is feature poor to say the least (the very least) - after trialling everything available it came down to choose of 2. To be honest Capture One was the winner and the way I wanted to go BUT after the whole Aperture debacle I was just scared of going with smaller company and thereby risking a move again sometime in the future, I went for the Photographers CC package after a lot of soul searching - I figured if I can't make 9 USD a month, selling photographs is something I should personally turn my back on. I don't like the look and feel of LR, and exporting from Aperture has not been a process without difficulty (esp in setting up my video library) but it seems the right choice according to my head - my heart will probably stay forever with Caputure One, what a beautiful interface and whatever it does with presharpening in RAW conversion really makes the files look far better than LR or AP.

I see WEX have Capture One Pro 8 on offer for £188, except that is a pre-order price, they don't actually have any in stock. Or is that a version not quite yet released?

It does support A LOT OF CAMERAS, some very recent models, so I very much doubt it is going west to join Aperture any time soon. I have a little more faith in the people who developed Phase digital backs for pros rather than the more cynical commercial folk like Apple, Microsoft, Adobe and on and on

If my Photoshop CS5 ran into trouble, I might take a good look at Capture Pro rather than pad out Adobe's pockets even more.

I see WEX have Capture One Pro 8 on offer for £188, except that is a pre-order price, they don't actually have any in stock. Or is that a version not quite yet released?

C1 V8 was released last year. Easiest place to get it is from the Phase One site - the WEX price is for a direct dl from Phase One (not a pre-order price) . If you are not in a rush, C1 has a history of discount periods.

Just checked the Phase one site and it's 229 euros which is a shade under £165 by today's rates, or rent at 12 euros a month which doesn't sound that great a deal but then I have a thing about those little "leaks" in my bank account

Just checked the Phase one site and it's 229 euros which is a shade under £165 by today's rates, or rent at 12 euros a month which doesn't sound that great a deal but then I have a thing about those little "leaks" in my bank account

That price is without VAT/sales tax which is applied at checkout according to your country of residence.

Archived