Apple Aperture RIP

We have all known that Aperture's days were numbered and now it has been confirmed.

For now, I think I'll wait for LR 5.0 to be released & just get stuck in.

But what of the Aperture Library ?

Yes, the App will continue for function, unsupported for a while. But will it still function with a future Mac OS upgrade ?

My Aperture Library (250g +/-)  contains both Jpeg & Canon RAW originals together with their Aperture Versions.

So the concern is to protect the library for the future. I plan to export most of the library as Quality 12 Jpeg to two or more external drives and maybe export most of the RAW originals in the same manner.

Has anyone used the Aperture to LR App to migrate ? Any Tricks or Traps ?

Any Advise or Comments greatly received.

Jonny.

"For now, I think I'll wait for LR 5.0 to be released & just get stuck in."

??????????????

I am using LR5 and have been for some time now. Rumours abound that LR 6 may be released later this year. Is that what you mean?

I do not have Aperture on my iMac but does the library in Aperture not work similarly to LR in that you download RAWs to a hard drive then the library function just maintains a record of where your images are stored on the drive and can retrieve them when needed?

Allan

I do not have Aperture on my iMac but does the library in Aperture not work similarly to LR in that you download RAWs to a hard drive then the library function just maintains a record of where your images are stored on the drive and can retrieve them when needed?

Allan

Not necessarily. Where Aperture won out over Lightroom was that it was filing system agnostic. You could set it up to "reference" folders and files (like LR) but you could also literally import images into the database so it was contained within Aperture (so-called "managed"). This allowed a more granular level of control of albums/collections and the like.

Even if you used a reference system, you could still exercise a more refined control than Lightroom. Also, you could move images around in the Finder and Aperture would keep track of them (unlike LR).

To the OP, I didn't use the migration app because I saw the writing on the wall and ran an Aperture library and LR catalog in parallel, switching wholly to LR last year when Apple made their announcement regarding Aperture's extended demise. So I can't help you with that I'm afraid.

If you've used a referenced Aperture library, you can just add the images to LR, exporting only those that you've worked on to produce a derivative. If you used a managed library then I guess you could give the migration app a whirl, perhaps by creating a new, smaller managed library of images to see how it goes.

Hopefully, a trawl of the forums or somebody here will offer more useful information than I have.

Good luck.

I am stuck in the middle, I bought LR 6 months ago to convert but each time I put my head inside it I run back to aperture. 

But I don't think Photos will ever be what I want it to be so am stuck with calling it a day on aperture in the future and forcing LR on myself.

I was hoping LR6 would have user interface tweaks to tempt the last Aperture die hards but sadly not.

Excuse the brief line but about to walk out the office - I think I picked up on this thread that some one wanted to move over to LightRoom but would lose there Aperture catalogue (if that is the correct term)

This may help, found this morning after upgrading LR to CC

http://landing.adobe.com/en/uk/products/creative-cloud/54511-aperture-switcher.html

Hope it helps

• 4 months later...

Hello All

This is my first post to this forum. I'm curious about this topic as I cant quite see what the problem is.

I have Aperture 3 on my Macs and have recently started using it. I think it is very good.

Up until now I have been using Picasa on PC's to tweak my digital pictures but as I am starting to take (re-take) my photogpahy more seriously I have been looking into Aperture tutorials on YouTube and it would seem to do everything I need.

So......... I have this software, it works, it seemms fairly robust and mature, I like it. Why should I switch to something else because Apple have decided to compete with Spotify rather than put time and effort in for photographers?

I'll add that I just don't like the way Adobe do things. I was reminded of this just last week when for the sake of due dilligence I attempted to use the trial version of Lightroom. It was during this I was reminded of Adobe's obstructive methodology in attracting customers. eg "Before you can use this software, please verify your email address by repling to the email we sent you"......................what email? ..........No email. At that point I deleted everything Adobe and went back to Apreture.

Why not just stick with Aperture until it doesn't work any more? By then the world may have ended anyway.

Yours

Robert

I can't see the point in investing time and effort in a program that is dead. If technology never advanced then maybe. Before long you will be losing out to other RAW processors which would make your images look better. Alamy is a place to sell so competitive advantage is important.

I understand that you don't like Adobe, however a missing email seems a bit extreme for you to dismiss the market leading RAW convertor/DAM program. I have two factor authentication on any account that needs it. Frequently those texts don't arrive and I have to ask for another. I stick with it because of the benefit it gives me.

Michael

Thank for taking the time to reply.

You make a good point with regard to Alamy being a competative environment, however I always understood that Alamy didn't want a lot of tweaking.

My challenges with Adobe go back, the experience with the lost email just reminded me of it and underlined it. It's difficult to explain but I sense a sort of arrogance about them.

I don't consider Apreture to be dead, it's just stopped growing for me. I think I can live with that fror a while. If I upgrade the OS then I may have problems but after the experience of upgrading to Yosimite I'm going to think carefully before I do that again.

I have had a look at a program called Capture One. I may go for that at a later date. But for now Aperture works well.

Thanks for your input, it is appreciated.

Robert

I have note a program caleed h

Michael

Thank for taking the time to reply.

You make a good point with regard to Alamy being a competative environment, however I always understood that Alamy didn't want a lot of tweaking.

My challenges with Adobe go back, the experience with the lost email just reminded me of it and underlined it. It's difficult to explain but I sense a sort of arrogance about them.

I don't consider Apreture to be dead, it's just stopped growing for me. I think I can live with that fror a while. If I upgrade the OS then I may have problems but after the experience of upgrading to Yosimite I'm going to think carefully before I do that again.

I have had a look at a program called Capture One. I may go for that at a later date. But for now Aperture works well.

Thanks for your input, it is appreciated.

Robert

I have note a program caleed h

You're welcome Robert.  I would throughly recommend giving Capture One a try if you don't want to use Adobe products. I have C1 and it gives a very good RAW conversion (especially with skin tones imho). 

I understand your point about Alamy not wanting a lot of tweaking (there's another thread running about that whole topic). I would refine that to say Alamy don't want badly tweaked photos. The reason I would caution against using a legacy product is that as time go on you may miss out on features that really do help your workflow. For example perspective correction was a very compelling one for me. (I think Aperture also has that).  I'm fully onboard with you about the pain of OS upgrades but inevitably they have to happen at some point. 

Archived