Problem with cutting and pasting keywords!

Having just had my first batch of shots pass QC I set about separating the key words between essential/ less essential  - but soon discovered that I'm unable for some reason to cut and paste relevant words from the collection of keywords uploaded with each image. Without the C&P facility separating and correctly allocating the key words will be a laborious chore, so can anyone out there tell me if I'm omitting to do so something really obvious? As far as I can see the only means of cutting and pasting is via the Safari Edit menu, which, as I say won't allow me to actually paste any of the words that I select.

If someone can help I'd be really obliged!   

Yes, it is only right click or control click within Manage Images (or, I gather, keyboard shortcuts). I also use Safari and can only use the top menu to pick up something outside of Manage Images. Within Manage Images I use control click or right click if I'm using the mouse. I don't know why I didn't see this query if it was asked two days ago. Must have been sleeping.

Paulette

On Windows, I just use CTRL X to cut and CTRL V to paste. Easiest.

Jill

Just read a report today - research by Google apparently shows that only 10% of computer users know these short cuts, which are common to most software (probably a much higher rate amongst Alamy photographers ;-) )

What is missing though is ctrl-z (undo last action), which is equally universal (... er, well, actually, not in our case!). It would be useful when an accidental tap on my laptop trackpad deletes several lines of keywords!! 

Having just had my first batch of shots pass QC I set about separating the key words between essential/ less essential  - but soon discovered that I'm unable for some reason to cut and paste relevant words from the collection of keywords uploaded with each image. Without the C&P facility separating and correctly allocating the key words will be a laborious chore, so can anyone out there tell me if I'm omitting to do so something really obvious? As far as I can see the only means of cutting and pasting is via the Safari Edit menu, which, as I say won't allow me to actually paste any of the words that I select.

Keyword on a computer using software that allows you to place keywords in a specific order (not just alphabetically). Such as Photo Machanic 5.

Upload to Alamy and when passed, copy the first keywords totalling 50 characters to first box and the rest to the next box.... done, next image please.

There are a few agencies that use keyword ranking so I always work this way to avoid spending a lifetime keywording images.

That said, keywording for Alamy is the last thing I do as they are the lowest payers (net per month)....I concentrate on other agencies and come back here when I have time. 

Keyword on a computer using software that allows you to place keywords in a specific order (not just alphabetically). Such as Photo Machanic 5.

Upload to Alamy and when passed, copy the first keywords totalling 50 characters to first box and the rest to the next box.... done, next image please.

There are a few agencies that use keyword ranking so I always work this way to avoid spending a lifetime keywording images.

That said, keywording for Alamy is the last thing I do as they are the lowest payers (net per month)....I concentrate on other agencies and come back here when I have time. 

Just using the File Info in PS will leave your keywords in the order in which you put them. The only time the keywords are seen alphabetical in Alamy is on the image page. In MI, they are in the order you typed them as well.

Jill

• 1 year later...

Hi,

I know this is a n old thread - but I am in the same position as the original post.  Using Safari on OSX 10.11.5 and am unable to paste anything in Manage Images. 

No options work - keyboard, mouse or menu. The menu in fact is greyed out for Paste.

Any solutions?

Thanks.

Command - c and v etc work not control (that is only for the context menu on a Mac if you haven't set the right click to do it). The beep in Safari is a bug in the programming and has been around for years - just ignore, mute the sound or use Firefox. I'm using the same OS and the latest Safari but I find Firefox is better behaved with Alamy - same for uploading.

Hi,

Yes, ok I do use cmd-c, as it's a Mac. But still doesn't work.

Actually, I have found a workaround:  My source data is stored in a Numbers spreadsheet and cut 'n paste does not work from there. But if I first paste it first into Textedit (basic editor), I can then cut and paste from there. A bit tedious, but does seem to work.

The old Manage Images version must not be available to newbies. Also, I think I read somewhere in the distant past if you don't use it for a while, it becomes unavailable. I don't know if that is a fact. Like I said, a dim memory.

I do all my work in the old version, and only use the new for searches, or to find an image or two to add or change a few keywords.

I wouldn't like to do without either.

I hope, personally, that the next version of Manage Images will allow for copy & paste. However, I can see a disadvantage in doing that: it makes it easier to steal & paste other people's keywords. 

Too many contributors, particularly FNG's (newbies) want to find a way to game the system and avoid the hard, tedious work that is keywording. I actually like to keyword (but then I like washing dishes by hand). The more keywording we do, the better we get at it, and the better we get at selecting new stock subjects. Yes, it's a challenge to include all the relative keywords without spamming. 

I hope, personally, that the next version of Manage Images will allow for copy & paste.

Just to be clear - copy and paste do work in the latest Manage Images on a Mac in both Safari and Firefox if you use the keyboard shortcuts or the context menus (right click or control click) but are not available on the main menu. There are bugs, however, as Safari beeps annoyingly when you use the keyboard shortcuts but not the context menus. It has been like this for years and is easily usable if you use the keyboard shortcuts (command-c and command-v), preferably in Firefox to avoid the silly beeps. I'm not sure what problem rjmusto was having. I've never had a problem copying (my own I hasten to add) keywords.

Thanks, MDM. The only shortcut I know is the one to my Mexican restaurant. I'll have look-see.  :)

I've recently taken to opening a word processing page and researching basic info while waiting for QC to do their thing. 

You can save a lot of time doing repetitive tasks Ed so it's well worth taking the time to learn a few basic shortcuts like cmd-c (copy), cmd-v (paste) and cmd-x (cut) which work on most programs. In Lightroom a lot of the keyboard shortcuts are single keys so, for example, hitting d opens the develop module and g switches to the thumbnail grid view. In Photoshop you can completely customise it to make your own shortcuts. Really saves a lot of time once you get used to it.

The old Manage Images version must not be available to newbies. Also, I think I read somewhere in the distant past if you don't use it for a while, it becomes unavailable. I don't know if that is a fact. Like I said, a dim memory.

I do all my work in the old version, and only use the new for searches, or to find an image or two to add or change a few keywords.

I wouldn't like to do without either.

I use the old one too.  I went from Oct 4 to May 1 without submitting anything, and it still worked.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Duncan, Can I ask how much more as a % the other agencies you refer to pay? Is it substantial? I had heard that likes of SS and GI were not as good as Alamy. Without breaking any Alamy rules and regulations would you be able to hint at the ones you are referring to? 

Archived