Post your positive results here :)

Hello fellow photographers.

I know that there is not always easy to make sales but lets for the change be positive. You had a good month? Or you made a high sale? Lets put in this topic all your good results.

New people should be encouraged. :) :)

Mirco

See monthly sales threads and Sales Prices - Comparison thread to see how (un) positive it is lately... Cutting prices was going to bring more clients and more money. But it brought lower income only :(

Even x2 or x3 larger gallery can't change it to be more positive.

I agree, we all respond better to positive messages.

From my point of view, I've bobbed along without much action (or uploads for that matter) for a couple of years but a few weeks ago I had image sales of $450 and $300 on consecutive days! One RM and one RF. Unbelievable.

I'm well aware that this is an anomaly and I'm most likely to return to dribs and drabs of $30 images here and there, but it has proved to be a real boost and motivated me to shoot and upload more.

I think I have realistic expectations from Alamy, I regard sales as a bonus to regular income - as most people here probably realise, the thrill of a sale popping up is not matched by the financial return.

It just shows that you never know which of your images will be just what someone needs.

See monthly sales threads and Sales Prices - Comparison thread to see how (un) positive it is lately... Cutting prices was going to bring more clients and more money. But it brought lower income only :(

Even x2 or x3 larger gallery can't change it to be more positive.

No, this thread doesn't want to discuss or be compared to the very negative thread you mention. This appears to be an attempt to avoid the doldrum of that other thread (and its many, many, many tedious clones), so please, keep it on topic . . . otherwise it's just one more huge whinge, which I for one think Mirco was actually trying to avoid.

I'll add some positive for you Mirco: had a sale this month, then two days later it was refunded (wait for it . . . ), then a day later the image re-licensed for the original amount ($180) . . . sold, refunded, then sold again for the same amount . . .

dd

Just my opinion, but....

Alamy is possibaly the finest collection of images available and not because of

"Great Photographers" but great images from all over the planet.  Alamy is not

Tony Stone (gone) or Gamma Press (Gone) or The Picture Group (Gone) or

Magnum (not gone, but).  I am betting the farm on Alamy not being gone.  I've

spent ten years scanning and retouching images to put on Alamy and I expect

Alamy to license those images for the rest of my life time and most of my children's.

Over more than three decades I've worked with most of the major agencies (see

above) and of all of them Alamy has been the easiest and most honest to work

with.

When I started contributing to Alamy over ten years ago my average license

from an image was over 400 USD.  For 2014 my average was about 90 USD.

As I have written, I do not blame Alamy for this.  I believe that Alamy has done

every thing within Alamy's power to keep license fees up.  Think one finger in the

dike (sorry but bad analogy)....

The up side to this post is that I have gone back into corporate photography and

I am shooting more than I would like to.  I am writing this to get away from retouching

50+ executive heads and product shots.  From what I've found there is a huge market

for real photographers ( I produce 7000+ @300DPI files in aRGB color as well as 1050

@ 96DPI files in sRGB color files) When I go out on a shoot I have over 6,000 watts of

studio strobe packs and ten heads with up to 7ft octodomes, grids etc.

I am now shooting every thing on Nikon D800's in RAW which produce a 206MB original

in 16bit aRGB color.

I Love Alamy and I look forward to the day when Alamy produces more of my income,  but

I don't think that will be in 2015.

My Food for thought.

Chuck Nacke (still the original one)

After 15 months with Alamy I've just had my first magazine front cover.  Amateur Gardening (UK), the same magazine that published my first article back in 1984.  Nice little earner, as well.  Very positive  :)

Great stuff!

We occasionally see threads questioning the merit of shooting well known landmarks, and I have myself argued that, as a local, you should shoot your own landmark sites, as you should know the best times, seasons and views. Well, on a visit to the States last year I did the tourist thing and shot the Brooklyn bridge and Manhattan skyline. It was nothing special, daytime, no tripod and 17,000+ images available on Alamy alone.

It sold last month!  Some times you get lucky....

After 15 months with Alamy I've just had my first magazine front cover.  Amateur Gardening (UK), the same magazine that published my first article back in 1984.  Nice little earner, as well.  Very positive  :)

Great stuff!

We occasionally see threads questioning the merit of shooting well known landmarks, and I have myself argued that, as a local, you should shoot your own landmark sites, as you should know the best times, seasons and views. Well, on a visit to the States last year I did the tourist thing and shot the Brooklyn bridge and Manhattan skyline. It was nothing special, daytime, no tripod and 17,000+ images available on Alamy alone.

On a visit to relatives in the West Country at Christmas I spent a couple of hours around one of the cities taking photos of the famous landmarks.  Fortunately it was a sunny day with blue sky so I got some good shots. A couple of weeks ago one of those images was used in an article in the main section of the Sunday Times - they chose my image out of 2000 others on Alamy of that iconic building. Lucky? maybe, but to some extent you make your own luck! I'd describe it as seizing the opportunity - the conditions were favourable and I was there anyway so it cost me very little. Would it be worth making a special trip there to target getting those images? - definitely not.

Great stuff!

On a visit to relatives in the West Country at Christmas I spent a couple of hours around one of the cities taking photos of the famous landmarks.  Fortunately it was a sunny day with blue sky so I got some good shots. A couple of weeks ago one of those images was used in an article in the main section of the Sunday Times - they chose my image out of 2000 others on Alamy of that iconic building. Lucky? maybe, but to some extent you make your own luck! I'd describe it as seizing the opportunity - the conditions were favourable and I was there anyway so it cost me very little. Would it be worth making a special trip there to target getting those images? - definitely not.

Many people suggest that there is no point photographing well known buildings or locations because there are thousands of images on Alamy already. However there are thousands of images because those places are very popular and their images are used much more often than other places. Also I think purchasers sometimes look for newer images which haven't been used before.

If you are going there anyway whats not to gain?

Kumar

I've got good news - bad news. 

The bad news is that I've had no sales posted to my dashboard this month.  The good news is that 6 sales came in today (using invoice data) for $712. 

Overall, that's pretty good.

I mean the sales today have not shown up in my sales history or dashboard.  But setting the date range out to 2016 and looking at invoices in the net revenue sales report, I see six invoiced today that will show up tomorrow.

General positivity: tons of licenses are still been sold around the world for very good prices.  Had a couple last month.  For $1032 and $600 respectively, two different agencies.  Straight photography, not at all commercial.   A year or two ago I had a couple of four figure sales here (one netting me £1000).  Interestingly, in these cases and others, the highest figures tend to be for more personal work.  But I won't make the classic mistake of forming any general conclusions from my own experience:  sometimes it's the really commercial stuff that sells best. 

Just spotted a random travel shot, of the Gemini Giant on Route 66, in a calender

https://plus.google.com/106814313685299525386/posts/i1TgCqbrRRP

Not had many sales from that trip, as I figure route 66 is pretty much shot to death by stock photographers, but I guess even a blind squirrel, finds a nut every so often! 

Here's another bit of general positivity. I just noticed that my gross income has passed the $50,000 mark. Given that photography is a part-time pursuit for me, I'm very happy about this. When I started submitting over seven years ago, I didn't think my images would do nearly as well as they have.

Thanks, Alamy.

Here's another bit of general positivity. I just noticed that my gross income has passed the $50,000 mark. Given that photography is a part-time pursuit for me, I'm very happy about this. When I started submitting over seven years ago, I didn't think my images would do nearly as well as they have.

Thanks, Alamy.

Congratulations John. Good shooting. 

Thanks, Alamy.

Congratulations John. Good shooting. 

Thanks for the kind words, but it has been mostly good luck. My images managed to fill some existing gaps.

Nice $180 text book sale showed up today. After over a year and a half on Alamy, beginning to see which of my images are the money earners and which are just me taking images of things I want to take, not ones people actually want to buy.

Also, as to the saturated images of landmarks, I have sold the CN tower, and almost didn't bother. As Phillipe once mentioned, as long as your image shows up in the first few pages, it doesn't matter if there are 20,000 images behind you.

Jill

OK. Awful first two weeks of April BUT (this is the positive bit) much better in the last few days.

I too had one of those $180 textbooks sales - a pic I took at this year's New year's day Parade in London, where I nearly froze, so that has made the trip worthwhile.

Two weeks ago I bumped into George Galloway in Westminster and got a couple of good portraits of him. I put one on twitter that evening and he saw and retweeted it. Yesterday two of the images sold, (one of which, a cut-out, I had only uploaded seven days before) to the same customer. The licence was "Marketing package - Small business". I suspect it was him or his party.

EJG0P1 and EKF3J7

Hello fellow photographers.

I know that there is not always easy to make sales but lets for the change be positive. You had a good month? Or you made a high sale? Lets put in this topic all your good results.

New people should be encouraged. :) :)

Mirco

Hmm.  And why do you think I should share that detailed information, Micro? I come up with an idea for a subject; I go out at the best time to shoot it, capture the image . . . and then tell everyone here, my competition, what that subject is that sold?  Don't think so.  :huh:

Archived