First upload with the Fuji X-T1

Took delivery of my new Fuji X-T1 today with 18-55 kit. Sold all my Canon gear for the switch to mirrorless. Like an excited schoolboy, I ran out at lunch to just grab a few files to get a feel for it. A couple of images that just popped right out at me were edited on arrival back and uploaded. I must say I'm really impressed with the files. I reserve judgement for how easy it is to use over the 5D3, however, it's nice to just slow down and look around sometimes. Being able to blend in to society rather than standing out is pretty nice. 

Downloaded Capture One Pro 8 to see how that goes against using LR. However, first impressions are positively in favour of the switch. I can totally understand why the rangefinder style Fuji's are popular. You would be able to slip them into a jacket pocket, whereas you can't with this one. 

Felt a lot of pressure out with the 5D3 to produce 'special' work. Ended up being quite a mental block. So yes, I'm impressed with this. 

This, coupled with a 10-24 should be ideal for New York :) 

aaand relax

Paul 

I have the 5D3 and the X-T1.  I love them both but find myself preferring to use the Fuji most of the time other than for studio work.  Having a macro lens and extension tubes for the 5D3 makes it easier to use for table top shots. The Fuji produces lovely files, has great lenses and is such a joy to use.

Pearl

One thing I've come to understand, Paul, is that I had to throw out a lot of my Nikon skills to learn my XT1. I'm not technical, and I think it takes a technical person to fully grasp Fuji X.

In spite of all that, I use this camera extensively and get great images. There are areas of the system where "if you set this, then that doesn't work."

It seems there are more than a few of those little land mines. I suggest you join the FujiX forum, in case you bump up against something you can't figure out. Those people are quick to answer your questions.

I'm growing my lens system. I just took possession of the 50-140 2.8 lens, and am in the process of evaluating it. I'm thrilled that there will be a 120mm macro and a long zoom for wildlife in the works.

Betty

Just in case you didn't realise Paul, Fuji have today issued firmware updates for the X-T1 and 18-55mm (amongst others).

Navigate starting from this page http://www.fujifilm.eu/uk/support/digital-cameras/software/ to get to the firmware downloads.

Thanks. Yes I have updated them today. I won't know what to evaluate it against as it was updated before I really used it lol 

One thing I've come to understand, Paul, is that I had to throw out a lot of my Nikon skills to learn my XT1. I'm not technical, and I think it takes a technical person to fully grasp Fuji X.

In spite of all that, I use this camera extensively and get great images. There are areas of the system where "if you set this, then that doesn't work."

It seems there are more than a few of those little land mines. I suggest you join the FujiX forum, in case you bump up against something you can't figure out. Those people are quick to answer your questions.

I'm growing my lens system. I just took possession of the 50-140 2.8 lens, and am in the process of evaluating it. I'm thrilled that there will be a 120mm macro and a long zoom for wildlife in the works.

Betty

I noticed you over at the forum there Betty. Another steep learning curve but it's fun this time. No big pressure anymore for me. :) 

Many thanks to Russell for letting us know about the firmware updates. However, I've been trying to download the update for the 18-55 and after selecting the "I Agree - Begin Download" for v3.12 it sends me to the v3.11 download page. Anyone else having similar problems or is it me doing something dull?

Many thanks to Russell for letting us know about the firmware updates. However, I've been trying to download the update for the 18-55 and after selecting the "I Agree - Begin Download" for v3.12 it sends me to the v3.11 download page. Anyone else having similar problems or is it me doing something dull?

I have it on good authority that this is a typo and downloading from that page will get you v3.12 rather than v3.11

Thanks for heads up Russell. A green one for you.

Allan

There is an upgrade for the X100 models as well.

Allan

Are you sure about upgrades for the X100 models Allan? The X100 page is still showing v2.10 which was released last year I believe, and the X100S appears to have had an upgrade at the same time. Less sure about the X100T though.

All Fuji zooms have upgraded firmware as do the X-T1 and X-100T. I think the X100T is the only one out of the X100's to receive the latest one according to Fuji Rumours website.

I haven't tested them after the update but reports are suggesting they may have tinkered with AF speed as well?!? That would be a nice bonus. At least now you can select Mechanical+Electronic shutter and still use the flash until the speed crosses over the point you need to use the Electronic shutter now.

The IS on the lenses is supposed to be greatly improved!

FR are also reporting a new Macro lens from Samyang - 100mm / f/2.8. It will feel like a 150mm on your fuji as it's been designed for a FF camera originally. It will be manual, which is fine for macro studio work. Could be worth picking up!

One thing I find amazing is the dynamic range. Crikey it's way better than my 5D3. No shadow noise banding or colour noise. I heard that Sony make the sensor for the X series but I can't confirm this. It certainly seems so with this excellent performance. Not really liking the kit lens for CA at all right enough. Plus there's no profile for LR for it. I end up needing to use the X100S profile, and still manually need to remove the CA. I heard the kit lens was bad for this. 

CA is such a pet hate of mine. 

Paul. LR sucks for the X-Trans files. I've flogged it to death trying to get something decent and there isn't anything. Switch to Capture One and see the real benefits of the Fuji and the kit lens.

Hope this helps

Interesting comments about the CA. I use Capture 1 Pro and have never been particularly conscious of CA with the 18-55, with the 18-135 I am very aware of it. I have been using Fuji 18-55mm for almost 2 years. I wonder if the CA people are seeing is a LR artifact from its demosaicing especially if it does not clean up easily with the LR tools. When I have chance I will go back and have look at some 18-55mm images, not used that lens much recently.

Do any other C1 users have similar experience?

I only took 250 pics on the X-T1 before I gave up on it, but I just ticked "Remove Chromatic Aberration" in LR for all of them and had no problem with CA whatsoever.

Alan

One thing I find amazing is the dynamic range. Crikey it's way better than my 5D3. No shadow noise banding or colour noise. I heard that Sony make the sensor for the X series but I can't confirm this. It certainly seems so with this excellent performance. Not really liking the kit lens for CA at all right enough. Plus there's no profile for LR for it. I end up needing to use the X100S profile, and still manually need to remove the CA. I heard the kit lens was bad for this. 

CA is such a pet hate of mine. 

Sony do make the sensors for Fuji and then Fuji create the CFA layer (X Trans)

I don't have the 18-55 lens so can't comment on the CA for that but there is little to no CA with their primes, even the 10-24.

Once you get used to the C1 P interface it's actually not that complicated. Go to their website for video tutorials on how to migrate from LR to C1.

As others have said, the CA handling of C1 might not as good as LR but I don't often have CA with the lenses I use so it hasn't been a big issue for me. 

Interesting discussion ref. CA. I still use the X-E1 and folks I know suggest that the CA issues DO NOT arise with the earlier models but SOMETIMES can indeed be an issue with the latter models.

This may be something to investigate.

I've just edtied a few pics with CP1 and I can honestly say it's rendering RAWS out of the Fuji quite remarkably well. The interface does look like the control room of the starship enterprise but it's pretty simple once you get your head around it. Still amazed at the files coming out of this camera. Crazy. 

Probably preaching heresy, but I prefer the OOC Jpegs from my X-E1/18-55/55-200 combos to the results of the RAW processing options I've tried. This includes Capture One (admittedly the Express version). Certainly no hint of CA or any other problems in the Jpegs and, touch wood, no QC problems after 2 years with the X-series. 

That said, I still shoot Jpeg+RAW but only resort to RAW processing to 'rescue' the occasional image.

Went against the grain at first (always used RAWs with my old Nikon) but it works for me.

Archived