Maybe this shouldn't have happened in the first place but...

We made some changes to your Alamy contract on 16th February that were due to come into force on April 1st. 

We've had some feedback from our photographers and it made us realise that some of the clauses didn't accurately reflect how we work, so we've made some changes. 

To summarise: 

• After deletion or termination, we will only issue re-use licences for the same product or project as the original sale.
  • We will only licence images after deletion or termination if we've already entered into negotiations or had a download for the proposed licence before the image was removed from the site.
  • We've set a limit of two years from the date of deletion or termination for licensing of images where there's been a download or we've entered into negotiations.
  • We're not preventing photographers from chasing alleged copyright infringements, but they need to check with us first.

We're sorry we didn't do a good job of explaining this before. 

Because we've made some further changes we're writing to give you 45 days notice of all recent changes. 

The new contract is here and the key changes are listed here. All changes will be effective from 14th May 2015.

We don't need anything but you might want to keep a copy of the contract once you've read it through.

(Email received from Alamy today).

Now..... if they had provided notice of "Possible" changes and asked for opinion to begin with, they would have been pro active, caring and valuing their contributors opinion. Maybe going forward that could be a business model to follow? It would give them room to back out gracefully from "ify" changes and look good at the same time?!?

Good to see the changes in the end though!!

And there's also a prepared email for those who have terminated their contracts - suggests there may have been a few who took that course.

Good to see Alamy is listening (again!) to us, thanks Alamy. But, what happens with people like Linda and many others, who already deleted galleries here? I can't image they will upload few k files again, just no way ;)

Thank you to Alamy for listening..... at last....

It's a shame the contract changes weren't thought through in more detail before release, and that Alamy didn't then call a halt to proceedings as soon as the EPUK response was published (which made it very evident that the changes were somewhat flawed).

It could have saved contributors a deal of grief, and possibly avoided some departures.

Anyway, thanks again.

Mark

T

, and that Alamy didn't then call a halt to proceedings as soon as the EPUK response was published

They did, in effect. There's another six weeks' notice given as of today.

Que? What I meant was, it's a shame they didn't tell contributors that they were reconsidering the amendments a bit sooner (i.e. just after the EPUK response was published) rather than trying to "bluff" their way through it with their response to EPUK.

Thanks for the heads-up, Russell.  (I don't get any of the important notification e-mails from Alamy :angry:).

Good to see that they have paid attention to this thorny issue, albeit belatedly.  For the zero difference that it makes to either party, I have been totally put off uploading anything since this broke, and was on the point of quitting.  Talk about final hour: extremely timely for me.

Good to see Alamy is listening (again!) to us, thanks Alamy. But, what happens with people like Linda and many others, who already deleted galleries here? I can't image they will upload few k files again, just no way ;)

I imagine that, since they have only just gone, that systems are in place will allow their images to be reinstated fairly easily with all Alamy metadata intact?  The question is will they feel comfortable coming back?

Thanks for the heads-up, Russell.  (I don't get any of the important notification e-mails from Alamy :angry:).

I found my email from Alamy had got stuck in the BT "Bulk mail" spam trap folder. It might be worth checking your "Spam" or "Junk" or "Bulk mail" folders.

I haven't found any way to reliably stop emails occasionally ending up in "Bulk". I turned off all mail filters, but it still seems to ignore me. :(

I hope the updates to the contract are enough for infringement warriors like Linda Matlow and David Hoffman (& a number of EPUKers). These people have learned how to confront and usually bring infringers to book and are an inspiration to us all. We all benefit indirectly. It is only right that they should not be prevented from hunting down copyright thieves by an Alamy restrictive contract.

The "infinity and beyond" terms to some publishers seem scary and I have often wrangled with art buyers with varying results. In fact they tend to be American text book publishers who don't actually publish forever as feared. They tend to be back every two or three years with a new edition if it becomes a standard text, plus a request for a renewed contract and a reuse bill. And they don't expect a huge discount! So it usually turns out better than expected.

It used to be we could fit our terms & conditions on the back of an envelope. Sadly, no more........

Archived