Recovering files from card.

I really messed up. I put a memory card in my D800 that I had previously used for XT1. I thought it was reformatted, but actually there is a half dozen or so RAFS images on it.

I shot at least 100 images of bees on my crabapple in bloom with the Nikon and 105 macro using this card. I can view the images in Playback, but I can't see them on my iMac using my card reader.

Is there any way I can recover these NEFs? Gosh darn it, anyway. I'm bummed. Two days playing, "round and round the crabapple tree" wasted.

Betty

If you put the card back in the camera and connect the supplied usb cable directly from the camera to your computer you should be able to download the files with lightroom or with the View NX software Nikon supplied with your camera.

If you put the card back in the camera and connect the supplied usb cable directly from the camera to your computer you should be able to download the files with lightroom or with the View NX software Nikon supplied with your camera.

I need to search for that cable! Thanks.

The last time I used the Sandisk iamge recovery program, it did a fine job of rescuing JPEGs.  However, it had no success with RAW NEF files and I had to use an obscure third-party program to retrieve them. This was several years ago - have things changed since then?

If you don't have the original USB cable most phone USB cables will work.

The only time I had a problem like this with a card was when I deleted individual images to save space. I downloaded the Lexar Recovery Software and it recovered everything I'd ever shot with that card.

fD

Because the camera can play them back, they are on the card in an ordinary directory or folder. Not deleted or corrupt.

Are you sure you are looking in the right folder? Have you used the Finder or an image editor or the camera makers software to get the images into your computer?

Because SD and CF cards are Fat32 formatted, your card can be read in a PC also. That's another thing to try.

wim

Yes, because they are seen and accessible via the camera. Nikon Transfer software will download them to a folder on your computer based on the parameters you set in the program. It can be a bit slow if you have a lot of files on the card but give it time and it will download all new files and open them in View NX2.. If your images are on the card in slot 2 you have to use a drop down menu to select that card. Alternatively with a Nikon camera connected to a pc via an appropriate usb cable, the camera will be seen as an attached drive and you can also then copy files where you want them. I haven't used a mac for this but it should recognize the camera as a drive.

I found the cable to hook up the camera to my computer, but when I went to check thr card in playback mode to make sure the right card was in, my camera wouldn't work. Playback didn't work. Couldn't see images. The screen stayed blank. The shutter fired when I turned the camera on, yet no image showed on LCD. If I pushed playback, the shutter fired. But when I pressed the shutter button, it wouldn't fire! YIKES!

I've messed with it off and on all day. Just now I disconnected the remote and it started working. What the heck is up with that?

Tomorrow I'll try to get my mind up for image recovery through the cable. I'm too tired, now.

Thanks for all the tips, you all are the best!

Betty

This should be very simple. Just connect the camera to the Mac. Turn the camera on. It doesn't show as a drive in the finder so it is necessary to use a program such as Bridge (which you have and use I know from your previous posts) in the same way as downloading images from an iPhone to a Mac. 

Open Bridge and under the File menu, select Get Photos from Camera. If the camera is properly connected and the card is not damaged, a dialog will open up and you should be able to download the images to your computer.

Over the years, I have also goofed up. Lost an entire wedding reception once by hitting the delete button. I have had great success recovering files with Photo Rescue. Costs around $25 US and is worth every penny when you need to recover files. 

Over the years, I have also goofed up. Lost an entire wedding reception once by hitting the delete button. I have had great success recovering files with Photo Rescue. Costs around $25 US and is worth every penny when you need to recover files.

Richard, you just made my stomach thrill and clinch with that remark. I absolutely can't imagine what your stomach felt like at the time. Glad you didn't have a self-destructive weapon at hand. ;)

Wm, if I could understand Manualese, I'd not be such a technically underdeveloped person. That's why I often order a book on each camera that puts instructions in Betty-understandable language. I just never got around to ordering one for the D800. I'm not alone in my opinions about manuals. I'm probably in the majority, from what I've read elsewhere. Otherwise, there would be no money for authors by writing the books.

That said, :)...I successfully transferred the images this morning, culling and keeping one third out of 127 images. I used "image capture" in my iMac applications folder to recover them. It was easy.

I did as you all suggested, and hooked my camera to the computer via the cable. Thanks so much for suggesting that.

I know when I get in the deep end of the pool through one of my famous messes, the forum will throw me a life raft.

Betty

Archived