Welcome to the Alamy Contributor Forum. Log-in using your existing Alamy account details. If you're not registered yet then you need to create an Alamy Contributor account to be able to post here. Once registered, you'll be able to choose a forum display name and there will be a link to your images on Alamy within your profile. Please have a read of the rules and announcements before posting. Your first post will be moderated before appearing. Welcome to our photographer community!

Photo
- - - - -

Nothing sold yet?!

sold money selling nothing

• Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

#21 Ed Rooney

Ed Rooney

Forum regular

• Verified
  • PipPip
  • 3,431 posts
  • LocationNew York City

Posted 27 March 2015 - 04:55 PM

Dude,

I joined in October, 2012, uploaded 53 photos in November and had my first sale on December 9, 2012. As of January, 2015 I had 1,000 for sale with 90 sales. My suggestion is that you shoot anything trendy. I get an e-mail each morning from Yahoo which anyone with a Yahoo email address gets automatically. At the bottom, it lists the ten most popular searches for the prior day. For example this mornings searches were for E-file tax return, IPhone 6 Plus, Medicare Part D, etc. It gives me ideas on what I should be shooting. I would suggest you take a photo of an elderly person taking a Selfie. Things like that. Also, I've had four sales so far this month, 2 via Alamy (now at 1740 photos) and 2 via Stockimo (377 photos). So you might be better off going the Stockimo route, which has a modern vibe. I don't think you should give up, just try a new, more current subject matter to see if that sells. Best of luck to you.

Very good advice for us all, Lisa. Thank you.   :)

#22 John Mitchell

John Mitchell

Part of the forum furniture

• Verified
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,291 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 27 March 2015 - 05:24 PM

... and don't forget to check Alamy Measures / All of Alamy regularly. It can tell you what searches are "trending," which can be useful.

That said, making sales isn't exactly easy these days. Good luck

Edited by John Mitchell, 27 March 2015 - 05:31 PM.

John Mitchell

#23 MariaJ

MariaJ

Forum regular

• Verified
  • PipPip
  • 558 posts
  • LocationVancouver, Canada

Posted 27 March 2015 - 10:36 PM

Dado the Dude,

Lisa's got some great tips for you.   Some other suggestions are to add more details to your descriptions.  I like your images but noticed some had very vague captions.  For example DBJCYY is labelled 'wild strawberries'.  There are strawberries, but they're in containers with other fruit in what looks like a farmer's market perhaps, with no details as to where. And there doesn't appear to be a location in the keywords.  If someone is looking for a farmer's market image from that particular town, they will miss your image, ad the Locations box is no longer searchable (I believe).  I always add location (town and country) the the keywords, and often the caption.

Also getting more images up there, as many have suggested, is important.  Compared to the pros here, I'm just a beginner, starting at alamy right around the time you did.  I've got close to 800 images so far, with my first sale at around 320 images.   The content matters too of course, not just the numbers.  Good luck!

#24 Rex Jarvis

Rex Jarvis

Forum newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 27 March 2015 - 10:47 PM

I am a little older now Niels Quist ;-)

#25 Dado The Dude

Dado The Dude

Forum newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • LocationBrussels,Belgium

Posted 28 March 2015 - 12:07 AM

Wow...I haven't expected such a great tips and comments in the first place... thank you all .This  means a lot  to me in terms of motivation.I have some 100k pix at my harddisc...images from all around the world...mostly Europe, because I am traveling most of my  time.

So the general strategy would be: keep uploading and tag keys by myself (most of the keywords I am getting from keyboarding tool,which I found now thats not actually working as wel)

#26 arterra

arterra

Forum regular

• Verified
  • PipPip
  • 3,913 posts
  • LocationBelgium

Posted 28 March 2015 - 09:33 AM

You've got 100,000 pictures on your harddisk .....????
Here's what you have to do: spend the next couple of months keywording till you see blue, roots start growing from your bum into your office chair and your legs fall off.
Contact Alamy how to provide the keywords in an excel file (to avoid having to do the "Manage your images" part afterwards) and once you have prepared several thousand pictures, send the whole lot on a hard disk.
I started by submitting them 12,000 pictures at once.

Cheers and good luck,
Philippe

HARD WORK

spotlights the

CHARACTER

of people: 

some turn up

their sleeves

some turn up

their noses

some don't

turn up at all

Quote by Sam Ewing

;) 

Edited by arterra, 28 March 2015 - 10:59 AM.

Arterra Picture LibraryWildeyes

nature, travel and environmental photography

LogoFineArtAmericaBlueShape.jpg

#27 Arletta

Arletta

Forum regular

• Verified
  • PipPip
  • 583 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 28 March 2015 - 09:55 AM

Here's what you have to do: spend the next couple of months keywording till you see blue, roots start growing from your bum into your office chair and your legs fall off.

This reminds me my 2014...  :(  ;)

My website ariene.pl     ~     FAA prints by Arletta Cwalina     ~     Welcome to Ruciane-Nida

#28 DDoug

DDoug

Forum regular

• Verified
  • PipPip
  • 541 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 28 March 2015 - 10:00 AM

I’m in a similar situation as Dado the Dude: been with Alamy for one year and have over 700 images online. My one and only sale was withdrawn, so the total is zero.

However, my CTR is currently 0.72 overall and 1.65 for the last month – higher than the Alamy average. My question is, do those of you who sell regularly have CTRs that are higher still? Is there any relation at all between CTR and sales? It would be easier to understand the lack (total absence) of sales if there were also no clicks.

#29 funkyworm

funkyworm

Forum regular

• Verified
  • PipPip
  • 936 posts

Posted 28 March 2015 - 10:29 AM

Have all the images ready keyworded and captioned on your hard drive. (Drives!)

Then, without wanting to get this thread locked, dont forget the eggs and baskets rule.

groetjes, 

Richard

BTW I think its Zandvoort, but Zandvoort isn;t in the keywords. And the country needs to be corrected from Netherlads. Although the lads from Nether does conjure up some interesting idea's. ;)

Edited by funkyworm, 28 March 2015 - 10:31 AM.

#30 arterra

arterra

Forum regular

• Verified
  • PipPip
  • 3,913 posts
  • LocationBelgium

Posted 28 March 2015 - 11:44 AM

I’m in a similar situation as Dado the Dude: been with Alamy for one year and have over 700 images online. My one and only sale was withdrawn, so the total is zero.

However, my CTR is currently 0.72 overall and 1.65 for the last month – higher than the Alamy average. My question is, do those of you who sell regularly have CTRs that are higher still? Is there any relation at all between CTR and sales? It would be easier to understand the lack (total absence) of sales if there were also no clicks.

CTR's are a mystery to all ;) But here are my two cents. I truly believe it is far more important to have a steady CTR which is constantly slightly above Alamy's average than one that looks like a roller coaster and jumps from 0 to 14.29 and back to 0.

One of my pseudonyms (67 images, no sales so far) has for the moment a CTR of 14.29. The picture which was recently zoomed, is of an oil tanker.
When I look for "oil tanker" I see 8,553 images (96 pages with 90 pictures each). I couldn't find this pseudonym's picture within the first five pages, BUT ................ I found several "oil tanker" pictures of my main pseudonym (14761 images, daily sales)  - which has a CONSTANT (average) CTR of only 0.55 - already on page two.

So, can't say that high CTR numbers impress me ;)
There's a little and very reliable trick to know where you really stand: just look for one of your ordinary pictures (one of which there are thousands of competing images) and see on which page yours lands. Not within the first three to five pages? Well, there you have a problem :mellow: In that case, your best technique would be to fill in the gaps (less competition >> better visibility).

Cheers,
Philippe

Edited by arterra, 29 March 2015 - 09:43 AM.

#31 Pearl

Pearl

Forum regular

• Verified
  • PipPip
  • 1,008 posts
  • LocationAnglesey, Wales, UK

Posted 30 March 2015 - 07:17 AM

I don't think there is a correlation between CTR and sales but there is a correlation between zooms and sales. I know some togs will jump down my throat saying most of their sales haven't been zoomed but that is not true in my experience. Sometimes you have to look back a long way to find the zooms that have turned into sales. I would say about 50% of my sales were zoomed first. Obviously this wouldn't hold true for those selling lots of live news though.

Pearl

Edited by Pearl, 30 March 2015 - 07:21 AM.

www.realimage.co.uk

#32 MariaJ

MariaJ

Forum regular

• Verified
  • PipPip
  • 558 posts
  • LocationVancouver, Canada

Posted 30 March 2015 - 07:40 AM

I would say about 50% of my sales were zoomed first. 

That's good to know Pearl.  I was wondering what percentage of zooms have ended up as sales.  If zooms are so important to CTR, I'm curious how predictive they are of sales.  I haven't sold that many yet, so it's hard for me to tell.  But for my main pseudo, none of the zooms in the past year translated into sales.  My my other pseudo, about 25% of the zooms turned into sales.  The rest of my sales were never zoomed.

I'm also curious how the relationship between zooms, views and CTR works if your work is on distributor's web sites.  Would we know if our images are viewed or zoomed (if they have zooming) on those sites?

#33 Bryan

Bryan

Forum regular

• Verified
  • PipPip
  • 3,239 posts
  • LocationNE England

Posted 30 March 2015 - 08:17 AM

I only have 10 images up so far and am happy to wait for my retirement while my portfolio builds. All of my many 1000's of older images were pre DSLR compact camera so are useless for Alamy's quality control although other sites will take them.  This summer I will just get out there on my travels with my new cameras and start to build a collection all over again.

-  and from your avatar it seems you have quite a good, long time to build that portfolio  :)

You could consider the reportage route on Alamy for older suitable images of quality.

Niels

There is an archival route - where the photos are marked archival indicating to buyers that they may not be to current Alamy standards. From memory, and I may be wrong, you have to have a reasonable track record with Alamy before they allow you to join, but there's no reason why you shouldn't achieve that.

I have found that old, even black and white, images have a niche position with the most unusual uses - for example calendars for industrial shots. I was recently chuffed ;)  to see a 1960s steam loco shot being zoomed, the only one out of over a 1000 views, and my CTR is very average. So there you go, there's a great opportunity if you have genuine old shots of reasonable quality.

#34 spacecadet

spacecadet

• Verified
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,079 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted 30 March 2015 - 07:56 PM

That reminds me, must add fragaria (and I think vesca for the wild white strawberry?) to one of mine.

.  For example DBJCYY is labelled 'wild strawberries'. 

Mark Dunn

#35 losdemas

losdemas

Forum regular

• Verified
  • PipPip
  • 1,706 posts

Posted 30 March 2015 - 10:31 PM

FWIW, 75% of my sales have been zoomed.

#36 spacecadet

spacecadet

• Verified
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,079 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted 31 March 2015 - 05:23 AM

FWIW, 75% of my sales have been zoomed.

Just under half within the year for me.

Mark Dunn

#37 Jobz Foto

Jobz Foto

Forum newbie

• Verified
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 3 weeks ago

Hi everyone, I just arrived on Alamy

Starts with about 300 files and I will not stop upload until I see my first sale

I would like to ask if you, who have been here for quite some time sell ​​your files on alamy with exclusivity?

I upload the same files that i sell in other micro stock agencies. Will this decrease my sales?

Thanks all

#38 Jill Morgan

Jill Morgan

Forum regular

• Verified
  • PipPip
  • 1,828 posts
  • LocationThe Back 40, Lindsay, Ontario

Posted 3 weeks ago

Starts with about 300 files and I will not stop upload until I see my first sale

I would like to ask if you, who have been here for quite some time sell ​​your files on alamy with exclusivity?

I upload the same files that i sell in other micro stock agencies. Will this decrease my sales?

Thanks all

Alamy is not a micro site.  There is no point in selling your images here if you are basically selling the same image for next to nothing at a micro.  Images sold here should not be on micro.  Why would a buyer pay more here if they can get it cheaper elsewhere?

Jill

Photography Website:  http://jkmorganpets....rganphotography

Custom Equestrian & Dog Supplies:  http://jkmorganpets.com

#39 spacecadet

spacecadet

• Verified
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,079 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted 3 weeks ago

Thanks all

I did a GIS on one of your images and, guess what, it popped up on SS. Why would I pay Alamy's price?

Do the rest of us a favour and don' t have the same images on both sites.

Edited by spacecadet, 3 weeks ago.

Mark Dunn

#40 arterra

arterra

Forum regular

• Verified
  • PipPip
  • 3,913 posts
  • LocationBelgium

Posted 3 weeks ago

Please don't hijack someone else's (old) thread but start a new one.

Cheers,

Philippe

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: sold, money, selling, nothing

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users