Would it be fair to say that less physical content is being bought in the forms of books, magazines, papers and the like? Thus meaning less companies needing to get such a license and then having a knock on effect down the line? We're always going to be at the thin end of the wedge. We're just a part of a bigger process and time will come when costs over savings will mean less quality stock content is used or the price of it gets lower and lower. Wait, that's happening now...

I can't wait for the day we start to see things get cheaper for us to buy. A business reward/payback scheme. Been a tog for 10-20 years? cool there's a nice discount on stuff across the specturm of services you use. 

Would it be fair to say that less physical content is being bought in the forms of books, magazines, papers and the like? Thus meaning less companies needing to get such a license and then having a knock on effect down the line? We're always going to be at the thin end of the wedge. We're just a part of a bigger process and time will come when costs over savings will mean less quality stock content is used or the price of it gets lower and lower. Wait, that's happening now...

I can't wait for the day we start to see things get cheaper for us to buy. A business reward/payback scheme. Been a tog for 10-20 years? cool there's a nice discount on stuff across the specturm of services you use. 

You are correct that more digital content is being created these days but, there could be an argument that someone linking, copying and pasting is similar to photocopying the article from a hardcopy. Someone takes a pic with there camera of your work and posts it on facebook.... in affect, copying your work for there reference/archive .

I would love to think we would end up with cheaper gear but it is unlikely to happen. If we're lucky, the price will stay the same and we get more features/functions  ;)

It's not to do with the amout Paul as DACS receives 8% so in your example it would just be 8% of less. What they want to do is make the 8% a lower percentage so it will be less of less :wacko:

I'm wondering if it's more to do with the new collecting societies that will be set up to deal with 'Orphan Works'

I was pleasantly surprised a few years back when I started claiming my DACS payback. Too good to last!

So two of the main funders of DACS are trying to pull out. This trend has been going on for as long as I can remember. 40 years ago I was supping a few pints with mates in the publishing game and they freely admitted that when looking for some budget cuts, the first thing they did was slash the photography part. 

So I says,"you can get the next round in then!" which they did.......

I was pleasantly surprised a few years back when I started claiming my DACS payback. Too good to last!

My feelings exactly -- too good to be true!

However, I sure hope that all this can be sorted out. Can't pretend to understand any of it myself.

What exactly is the Copyright Licensing Agency?

Paulette

It's an organisation that facilitates the licensing of copying of books (and more). It operates as a clearing house, in a similar way to DACS but the focus is on the written word rather than imagery. There's a similar organisation in Australia (CAL, the Copyright Agency Limited).

There are many ways in which they do this, but one of the main ones is educational licensing. Here, if you're, say, a school or university, you can purchase a licence from CAL that allows your teachers to copy up to 10% or one chapter of a book for use in class without having to negotiate individual permission from each publisher or author. The fees from these licenses are then distributed by CAL to the publishers and authors in proportion to how much their books were copied. I believe the UK system works in a very similar way. Authors benefit from this income in a similar way that photographers benefit from DACS.

To me, as a recipient of CAL and CLA as well as DACS income, it's very disappointing indeed that CLA and DACS are arguing. These organisations both do good work, and should really be working together.

David.  

Very good news and I'm glad it has been sorted out. 

It would be interesting to know what the agreement was though. Perhaps they'll release that information soon. 

Cheers, 

David. 

Archived