Wide Angle for New York

Hey folks, 

Round about the end of May I'm going to be going to New York with the Mrs. I have 5D Mark III and the trusty 24-105L and just wanted to ask if anyone who lives there or who has visited could advise on the best focal length for the trip? The trip is mainly centred around the area around Ground Zero etc as my good lady has a fascination with the whole thing. Even so that we're booking the Millenium Hotel next to it with views. I want to take advantage of the trip with getting some shots. 

I know I won't be making much of a difference to 1.5m shots of the place already on here, but mostly just for my own tick box really. 

What sort of things do I need to be concerned about? 

Security?
no go zones?

Is it pretty much a free for all when taking pictures? 

Thanks in advance :) 

Paul 

To be honest Alex, I had a we play with the D810 yesterday and it felt odd in my hands (naturally with it being a different shape) I just don't think it's worth swapping everything I have for what seems to be a marginal change. If I can't make shots with a 5D3 then maybe switching isnt the answer. 

Ahhh you mean trade in my stuff in New York? then come home with the Nikon? I hadn't even thought of that. The mind boggles. 

Of course. I'm pretty much keeping my 5D3 anyway. I'm just looking to see if 24mm is going to be wide enough, but based on the current pics there's a lot of viewpoints so would probably be ok. I might get the Samyang 14mm 2.8 for landscape work so I could just use that. 

Don't forget the VAT and import duty.

And possible warranty issues.

My top tips for NY whilst you're there:

Use the subway system (buy a Metrocard apiece) and use it, especially from JFK to midtown, or wherever you're staying, a big cost saving.

Use the subway and buses to get to the Bronx Zoo, Botanical Gardens, City Island, Cloisters, Wave Hill and all over Manhattan Island and other boroughs.

Take the Circle Line Cruise around the Island of Manhattan, very informative, and go up the Rock for better views than the Empire State (but do that as well).

You'll probably feel safer in NY than you would in many parts of the UK, BUT, after dark the animals come out wherever in the world you are.

Happy shooting.

Good advice from Mick. I'm always shocked at how many out-of-towners are afraid to take the Subway. Sitting in a taxi, waiting for the traffic to move and the light to change, is not a way to get around in NYC. Yes, take the Subway. 

An equipment tip savvy pros have always paid attention to: don't take a new camera on an important trip. (Adorama on 18th Street is also a good place to shop or swap.) 

I'm sure the Millenium Hotel has some great views, but I'm not sure what they're of. Downtown is a good place to use as your base. (Why do they spell Millennium wrong???)

NYC is a multi-cultural, sophisticated city, and it's now one of the safest large cities in the USA. Forget about those Charles Bronson movies. Your need to pay attention to security is no different than it is anywhere else on Earth. But . . . if you're out on the street at 3:00AM drunk or trying to score some drugs, you're on your own, mate.  :)

Oh, I forgot about your wide angle question! 24mm is good much of the time. A 20mm or even a 15mm is helpful at Ground Zero or Wall Street.

E8PRF1.jpg    E8BYB7.jpg  E7FNR5.jpg

14mm  >                24mm  >                 120mm

As far as I know, the only restrictions on taking photos at Ground Zero are inside the Memorial Museum. I think Ed has been there recently so he'll know more about that. People are taking pictures constantly and everywhere in NYC. I see people taking them in museums -- where it is probably "not allowed". You'll be able to be sensible, I'm sure. Have fun!!!! Lots to do here. There was a recent blog on photo exhibits. One I would particularly recommend is the Marc Riboud exhibit at the Rubin Museum on 17th Street. It's not too big either so won't take a huge amount of your valuable time.

Paulette

My widest lens of the moment is the Nikon 20mm f/2.8 AF. It's great and very easy to handle. I got rid of the cumbersome Nikon 14-24 that captured the image on the left above. I have bought and returned two very wide lenses for my NEX cameras. The Zeiss Toutit AF would not stop hunting and the budget third-party lens was a puzzle I didn't want to deal with. There is the Sony 10-18 zoom to consider, but it's very pricy. I think, being here in NYC, I do need a very-wide lens . . . but I've never liked that lazy, optical view of the world. I use the RX10 with its 24-200 (view) zoom most of the time now. On my NEX cameras, my workhorse is the 24mm f/1.8 with a 36mm view, the best lens I've ever owned. 

In our wonderful Metropolitan Museum of Art, you can take pictures of anything in the permeant collection, but you are not allowed to shoot anything in the special exhibitions. Each museum -- and we have many -- has its own rules about using cameras. Look them up on the Web. Check which day they are closed, too. 

You are allowed to use a tripod in the 9/11 area, but you'll find that it's impractical to do so.

If you go to my blog (link with 2 below) and scan down to the one called Lost, you'll see what I have to say about the New World Trade Center. The Freedom Tower is now the tallest building in the Western Hemisphere. 

E4M063.jpg   DHYH90.jpg  D9JYTG.jpg

Oh, dear Ed. I read your Lost post and it made me cry. I used to think I'd get over it but I don't think so. I also didn't lose anyone I knew but it had such an effect on me. Me and the little dog. Very off topic, I know. Sorry.

Paulette

Thanks for reading it, Paulette. I just reread it myself and teared up. I don't think it's off-topic. Paul and his wife will be staying down there, and his wife is very interested in the event. All of us who were here will carry it with us always. 

I know I won't be making much of a difference to 1.5m shots of the place already on here, but mostly just for my own tick box really. 

You might be surprised,  I have found the USA, and NYC in particular, to be an easier market than the UK, selling more per image uploaded. Maybe just random luck!

We first visited in 2010 and found the place to be both a whole lot safer that I had anticipated, it's full of cops, and wonderfully clean. We walked miles and rode the subways with never a hint of hassle.

The subways can be a bit daunting, there are express as well as regular trains and passenger information is not always as clear as it might be. Just appear lost and somebody will probably approach and offer advice.

Enjoy

Oh, my widest lens on my last visit was a FF equivalent of 28mm and I didn't feel that to be a problem, but a real wide would add to the excitement!

Paul,

Switching gear in NYC is a pain and not a good idea, BTDT.

Take a look at the Tokina 16-28 f2.8, I am F mount and I like

this lens a lot, I shoot mostly at 18 to 28 at f4 to 11 and it is really

great, it is large and by some peoples standards heavy, but so it

the NIKKOR 14-24. I got mine new on ebay for less than $550.00

Best,

Chuck (Still the original Chuck)

I rely on Klaus Schroff's site, Photozone.de, where he posts this roundup of Canon full-frame lenses.

If shooting around Ground Zero suggests that you're interested in architectural shots, sharp to the corners with no distortion, etc., you might consider renting a 24mm TS-E II for a few days. It might be more weight than you want to lug around, but the quality will be as good as it gets.

I rely on Klaus Schroff's site, Photozone.de, where he posts this roundup of Canon full-frame lenses.

If shooting around Ground Zero suggests that you're interested in architectural shots, sharp to the corners with no distortion, etc., you might consider renting a 24mm TS-E II for a few days. It might be more weight than you want to lug around, but the quality will be as good as it gets.

+1!

Lensrentals will rent to you if you stay at a hotel. They will ship to a Fedex office nearby. (Like every other block in NYC.)

If you're a regular customer they will ship to certain hotels. But your drop off will probably be at the same Fedex.

They have the new Canon 11-24mm on pre-order ;-)

wim

Using a tilt-shift lens implies using a tripod, Don. You will find no joy trying to setup a tripod at a good viewing spot in the 9/11 area (witness the people lined up in the shot below).  That's all day everyday. Tripod use is tricky most anywhere on the crowded streets of Manhattan. 

And you know distortion in images is much like dissonance in music: people have grown used to it. 

Both B&H and Adorama rent equipment. 

the-south-pool-of-the-new-world-trade-ce

Does nobody do hand-held stitched panoramas anymore?

dd

Great inofrmation folks, thanks a lot. Heard a lot of vibes for the Tokina lens. I forgot about it till now right enough. Always tried to get Canon stuff as I'm a Gold CPS member. Still have that wee voice in my head to try a D810 but I'll rent one for a more formal test. 

Does nobody do hand-held stitched panoramas anymore?

dd

E63WAY.jpg

Yes with my 17mm TS ;-)

wim

Yup!

lava-flow-from-asamayama-volcano-near-ka

shiraito-falls-in-karuizawa-nagano-japan

I love the way you can select the images in LR and tell it to stitch them in Photoshop with nothing more than a right click.  Some interesting results with people walking too...

(not on Alamy)

MSR-Blog-1006733X1.jpg?resize=660%2C440

Just in case it's not obvious - same woman in the picture 3 times.

Mike

Using a tilt-shift lens implies using a tripod, Don. You will find no joy trying to setup a tripod at a good viewing spot in the 9/11 area (witness the people lined up in the shot below).  That's all day everyday. Tripod use is tricky most anywhere on the crowded streets of Manhattan. 

And you know distortion in images is much like dissonance in music: people have grown used to it. 

Both B&H and Adorama rent equipment. 

the-south-pool-of-the-new-world-trade-ce

Then again, Edo, since it's easy to do some amount of perspective correction in post these days, there would be no harm in shooting the TS-E hand-held using the shift to accommodate the tall buildings. That ought to get at least part of the way toward correct perspective in the camera.

Archived