Selling news photo!

Hello everybody,

Unfortunately I was not able to find an answer for my question in the forum.  I know that selling commercial photos is not easy task and one needs to have at least around 3000-4000 photos to make some regular sales. But how is the case for selling News photos? I would like to know about your experience in selling News photos. I uploaded around 100 photos about a local event in Switzerland and I was wondering if I should except any sale for that or not? (See photos below)

http://www.alamy.com/news/#BHM=foo%3Dbar%26qt%3D%26pn%3D1%26ps%3D120%26aoa%3D1%26news%3D%26sports%3D%26entmt%3D%26Videos%3D%26bb%3D1%26md%3DOL3233391%26dt%3D%26gid%3D%7BE135CDA4-7592-44D1-B392-F9CCF0EC63CD%7D%26destxml%3D%26imglst%3D%26orderby%3DDT%26newsseq%3D%26userid%3D%257bA3831CA3-4D1E-4E83-9DE6-C7C8DF3185CF%257d%26rand%3D1424941684361

Additionally, I would like to know if I can get any statistics (like Alamy measures) for News images?

Thanks!

Your news photos are transferred to your normal stock portfolio at Alamy after two days. My understanding is that most news photos are sold by UK photographers during these two days - unless, of course, you really deliver some breaking world news, but these are often covered by other agencies. However, I often sell news photos when they have been transferred to my stock collection - sometimes years later....

Quality not quantity with news. I keep to a limit of 25 if I can. Some make the cut some don't. Keep an eye out on Google news for anything with reference to Alamy or your name. I find news to be one of the most demanding of the genres. Encapsulating the story of the scene/event in one or a few pictures is key. Some papers or online sites might only use one picture from an event so best to keep that in mind. More breaking news might be more and for human tragedy events there's some order to it. The event, the scene, the victims and the aftermath. You can take many many shots and get them used too. I had about 7 used at the Bin Lorry crash in Glasgow. 

It's a tough world, and with so many people fighting for that one slot in a news story. It needs to be filled with the best shot. Any doubts, just leave it out. You do know when it all comes together and you have a winner, usually emotion at the event, smiles, happy reactions, tears, hugs and all that. blah blah sorry I'm rabbiting on. 

Archived