Editing images on Android tablet

Bryan

Everything else, on the Alamy site, appears to work fine on my Nexus Android tablet, but I am unable to edit (i.e. manage) my images due to the lack of a flash player that the operating system does not support.

Certainly not a deal breaker, but it would be useful if this could be resolved. I wonder what is so peculiar to the editor that requires the flash player, and is there an alternative solution?

There are Flash for Android apps but I've heard you have to disable some of the Android security to enable them. It's well beyond my ability to do it so I bought an iPad Mini with Flash installed. Alamy's Manage Images doesn't work on it either.

Everything else, on the Alamy site, appears to work fine on my Nexus Android tablet, but I am unable to edit (i.e. manage) my images due to the lack of a flash player that the operating system does not support.

Certainly not a deal breaker, but it would be useful if this could be resolved. I wonder what is so peculiar to the editor that requires the flash player, and is there an alternative solution?

I have exactly the same problem with my Nexus7.  Didn't I hear that Flash was going sometime soon though?

• 3 weeks later...

I have always used Dolphin Browser on both my sony tablet and my nexus and have been able to edit images fine. I believe that firefox browser may work too once flash is installed this guide and the links within it may help http://nexus7.wonderhowto.com/how-to/install-flash-player-your-nexus-7-tablet-watch-streaming-web-based-flash-videos-0146315/

Re Flash. I seem to recall that Alamy were bringing out a new version of Manage Images that will not be using Flash in early 2015. I can't find the post at the moment.

Perhaps Alamy could advise progress of this upgrade.

Ken

• 1 month later...

Hi Bryan, I came across the same problem as you on my Nexus 7, however I found reasonable solution called Dolphin browser (Google play), this browser supports Adobe Flash and you can use it with Alamy applet.

Cheers,

Hi Pavel

Thanks for your suggestion. I have installed Dolphin and am using it now to write this reply. Unfortunately I am getting the same problem with my Nexus 10 tablet as I have with Chrome, it needs Flash player and it won't work with this device.

Still awaiting Flash free solution from Alamy!

Edit - Dolphin has one important advantage over the current version of Chrome, it's much better for doing the Guardian crossword, Chrome appears to have lost the plot on that one recently!

Hi guys, Dolphin stopped working for me once the update to lollipop rolled ( it was not opening any page) even though it was upgraded with the new OS. I reinstalled it and it is back to normal now, nicely working with the applets.

And Bryan at least Dolphin improved one aspect of your daily routine ;)

Cheers

• 4 weeks later...

Yesterday Dolphin allowed me to install the Flash player, where previously it would not. I am now able to edit images in Dolphin on my Google Nexus Android tablet. It's a tad slow and clunky but it appears to work. I went on to try using Flash with Chrome, but still no joy.

Still waiting for Flash free version of Manage Images however.

Spoke too soon. I can open Manage Images and search for multiple images in Dolphin, but unable to double click to select an individual image to edit the keywords. Suspect that it might be possible if selected by code number, but not at all convenient!

Edit - It's possible to search for an image outside of Manage Images and, having made a selection, choose to edit the keywords of that image. This transfers activity to Manage Images where you can edit the keywords. A slight difficulty is that the Save Changes command is partially obscured by the window outline.

Not at all convenient, but if you've time on your hands and only one or two edits to make, possible!

Archived