difference between Stockimo QC and Alamy QC

I wonder if there are different QC criteria for Stockimo and Alamy. I just sent in my first batch for Stockimo and found that an image shot for Alamy with my D800e is ok but the same image shot with my iPhone 5s is not.
I don't mind, but I like to know more about what kind of stock images Stockimo QC is looking for. Any comments on that?

I wonder if there are different QC criteria for Stockimo and Alamy. I just sent in my first batch for Stockimo and found that an image shot for Alamy with my D800e is ok but the same image shot with my iPhone 5s is not.

I don't mind, but I like to know more about what kind of stock images Stockimo QC is looking for. Any comments on that?

I'm confused, how do you submit an image shot with a D800 to Stockimo?

Also, why would you submit and image shot with an iPhone as regular stock?

He

He hasn't, he's just taken the same subject with both cameras.

He

Still confused...

Arttext:

At the risk of sounding unhelpful, there have been several threads discussing what Stockimo is looking for. I recommend doing a Forum search for 'Stockimo' and then, as Ann suggested, do an Alamy search for 'Stockimo' images. As you will see, Stockimo is a very different animal and it's certainly not just a case of swapping your Nikon for an iPhone.

Cheers

John

He

I don't mind, but I like to know more about what kind of stock images Stockimo QC is looking for. Any comments on that?

Exactly!

Thanks for the clarification. This was the sentence that confused me: "I just sent in my first batch for Stockimo and found that an image shot for Alamy with my D800e is ok but the same image shot with my iPhone 5s is not." To me, it says that you submitted a batch containing both images (shot with the two different cameras) to Stockimo. Good luck.

Totally different.

I asked a similar question a week or so ago and after a few people suggested, I used Snapseed, or another phone app, to change the image, I have since found success, last week I had one image on stockimo, with about 15 rejections, now have 19 with only two further rejections.

it is a totally different QC I couldn't get my head around it, but now "I get it", whether I gain any sales or anyone else does, I'm not sure?

Hi Edo!    Bad weather, tight spaces, &/or unexpected photo opportunities are main reasons I've submitted some photos to Stockimo:

A few to Stockimo News

At news event I brought ultra wide angle lens, so used iPhone for variety.

While visiting friends in rainy Manhattan - took total of about 15 minutes to take photos, caption, keyword & upload a couple

rainy curb scene

formal party, & iPhone was all I had

A few of my Singapura cat at home

I needed to capture scene quickly, and iPhone was nearby; plus, for one, it was very tight fit between window & plants

Sweet Minnie died a few weeks ago, and I'm so happy that a Stockimo photo of her was featured on the Alamy iPad app last year. (She also was the front Cover Cat of a holiday magazine, as part of my direct client work.)

cat-yawning-hissing-at-person-seen-as-sh

the rest - mainly photos I took for fun and then had fun adding filters

Also, taking iPhone/mobile photos is okay some places that other types of photos aren't. For example, one needs advance permission to use DSLRs, or even point & shoots, at malls in my area.

An iPhone photo I uploaded to a news wire service was licensed for major car company magazine, so I consider iPhone news photos worth it.

- Ann

Ann, I think of you as shooting News and Stock. Are you shooting Stockimo, too? I'm wondering why if you do?  :)

Thank you, Edo. I loved Minnie beyond words. She was as affectionate as she was beautiful - a very important part of our family, starting long ago when my daughters were in their teens. Since she died, our rescue black & white cat hangs out on the couch more.

I have a guess what you mean, you old dog, you - smiles - Ann

Oh, what an amazing looking cat, with her super-sized eyes. Sorry to hear she's gone. I'm a 12-year-old dog myself, if you know what I mean.

Thanks for the thoughtful answer. :)

Hi Mark - You're right - it was a yawn - a bit of serendipity while photographing angelic 6-pound furball.

cat-yawning-hissing-at-person-seen-as-sh

Is that a yawn or a hiss? Hard to tell, although the ears usually go back for a hiss.

This is what Alamy like from stockimo.... their pininterest board http://www.pinterest.com/alamy/stockimo/

Thx for all the replies. I think I got a pretty good idea now what Stockimo likes and acted accordingly with submitting a new bunch. But before that I had had to let go of my resentment about the use of digital filters, being more of a pure image photographer. I'll keep that for Alamy submissions. New times, new tricks, apparently.

• 3 weeks later...

Here's my take on the difference between Stockimo QC and Alamy QC.

I submitted a few pictures to Stockimo taken by my iphone 6 plus and only one got accepted, the rest was rejected. I sent them an email and asked why my pictures were rejected while these same pictures if taken by a camera would be accepted in Alamy. Here are their answers to me:

Photos can be rejected for a number of reasons:

• Low rating: Photos are rated out of 4 by 3 independent people, based on emotive response, creativity and saleability.
  • Photos that get an average over 2 are accepted. The 3 raters might have had three different reasons why they gave the photo a low score which is why we can’t give you a specific reason.
  • Incorrect info (people or property): If you've answered the questions about people/property incorrectly your photo will also be rejected
  • Inappropriate: If we suspect the photos been taken on an SLR, or there's a watermark, or the content is too graphic or overly editorial in nature it will also be rejected.

Apparently the QC in Stockimo is based on these independent raters. If their tastes for pictures are different from yours, there's a chance your pictures would be rejected no matter how good you think the pictures are. I don't know how Alamy handle their QC, I'm glad they don't seem to have people rating your pictures.

Archived