critique my portfolio

Hi everyone

Iam new here at Alamy and was wondering if any one coude critique my portfolio to see if its going the right way :)

normally only shooting video but gonna give the Photography side a chance as well.

Daniel (NIar)

What Arletta means is that there are quite a lot of very similar, sometimes almost identical, shots in your collection.

What this will do over time is to hurt your ranking because your views:zooms ratio will be lower.

Alan

Sales are really the best portfolio critique you can get. But remember that sales can be irregular from ports under a few thousand.

You have some quite interesting images in your port. Some of them are on the light side and without as much contrast, as I sometimes would prefer. I would also try to avoid cutting people in two, showing a sliced vertical part of the person at the edge of the image, if you could crop the image to a better composition. Remember that tiny persons in the distance and parts of people also count as people at Alamy. You may consider removing them, if they are very distant and it is easily done.

Niar, at Alamy, Quality Control looks at our submissions for technical excellence only. It's up to us to edit our shoots down to the best two or three images . . . and it wouldn't hurt to put in a vertical once in a while. By submitting over a dozen very similar images of those two men in a rowboat at dusk you are giving your job of basic editing to the designer/buyer/researcher. It is not in your interest to do that. 

Hi Niar,

A few of points:

1. Blue skies sell for stock much better than grey ones

2. Make sure you include the location of your images in the keywords

3. When you put an image up for sale, ask yourself the questions "Why would someone buy this image and what would they use it for?" 

4. Make sure your spellings in captions and keywords are all correct otherwise keyword searches will not find your images

Good luck!

Kind regards

Kumar

Actually, I think Philippe is being very kind and helpful to take the time and effort to point out your many mistakes,  Niar, as have others. 

Doc, let me differ with one of your points: '3. When you put an image up for sale, ask yourself the questions "Why would someone buy this image and what would they use it for?" ' We might be able to come up with some answers to those questions but surely not all. If I see something I feel inclined to take a picture of I ask myself to write a quick caption for the subject.

Also, if I have a cooked food image I name the cuisine -- but I don't always tie it to a location. 

Archived