Spell check and grammar in Live News captions

mickfly

I realise that some photographers will be uploading News pictures from phones and they are difficult to use, but does anyone at Alamy check the captions? The news pictures today are littered with bad spelling (not typos), punctuation and grammar.

We can all make an odd mistake, and I'm not really a pedant, but along with the use of pejorative language, it seems some people are going overboard.

Rant over, I'll wait for red arrows now. 

The one of the guardsman? Extraordinary.

They certainly are looked at, I have had mine changed, always for the better, so perhaps it will be attended to soon.

Edit: it's one particular photographer who seems to have had an attack pf verbal diarrhoea.

I teende tobe mightiiy carefull, beingg both dyslexic and a former copy editor. No kidding. Was diagnosed at age seven or eight. 

But I'm wondering if anyone else who regularly uses the spellchecker finds that it has been doing some odd things in the past year? I'm on a Mac with gmail. 

More than one photographer today with bad spelling, but it's the pejorative language which made me rant.

Has it been cleaned up, or am I unable to find it?

I thought the opening image, for this week, of a huge crashing wave with a pretty cheerful young man must have been chosen by someone very very young.

wim

I teende tobe mightiiy carefull, beingg both dyslexic and a former copy editor. No kidding. Was diagnosed at age seven or eight. 

But I'm wondering if anyone else who regularly uses the spellchecker finds that it has been doing some odd things in the past year? I'm on a Mac with gmail. 

It isn't just spelling, it was also very basic grammar mistakes, and the use of pejorative language, very unprofessional to leave them sitting there. 
I use spell checkers and still make some mistakes, the examples today were way over the top.
Having said that, I corrected the white balance after shooting some night snow scenes lit by orange tungsten (sodium?) streetlights, then uploaded the original ones to the news feed.

More than one photographer today with bad spelling, but it's the pejorative language which made me rant.

I thought the opening image, for this week, of a huge crashing wave with a pretty cheerful young man must have been chosen by someone very very young.

wim

Missed the "pejorative" language too, as it seems did most everyone else (judging by the number of complaints about it) . . . come on MIckfly, share :-)

And that photo Wim . . . do you really have to be young to get a buzz out of the irrestible power of nature? :-) . . . and it told me much more of a story than the rope.

dd

wim

Missed the "pejorative" language too, as it seems did most everyone else (judging by the number of complaints about it) . . . come on MIckfly, share :-)

And that photo Wim . . . do you really have to be young to get a buzz out of the irrestible power of nature? :-) . . . and it told me much more of a story than the rope.

dd

Boxing Day tsunami?

wim

wim

dd

Yes, you missed it, because they were altered almost immediately but, there are still plenty of spelling mistakes in some pictures, and no, I won't point out the offending pics, but they are British.  :)

wim

dd

Boxing Day tsunami?

wim

Fair point, to a point . . . enjoying the ocean, and storms, is surely not mutually exclusive with respecting those lost, and survivors, of the tsunami and its after-effects (still beind felt today in many places). My grandmother somehow survived the terrible Dwellingup fires a lifetime ago (1961), and she woud never live on a property with trees after that, but she didn't expect others to not like trees . . .

I liked the wave photo, I thought it quite a positive image.

dd

I'm surprised to see several photographers have their telephone numbers and email addresses in the caption. I thought that was expressly forbidden.

I did notice one which almost had a full BIO of the photographer in one caption, with nothing much about the image.

Archived