A Great Loss - Jane Bown dies.

Martin P Wilson

It has just been announced that Jane Bown the veteran Observer photographer has died. Only last week, seeking inspiration, I was rereading Exposures, her book of portraits for which she was renowned. Despite her reputation for portraits her enthusiasm as reportage.. I love her work, so sorry there will be no more.

http://www.theguardian.com/artanddesign/2014/dec/21/observer-photographer-jane-bown-dies-age-89

As low profile as she was, especially outside UK photography circles, I would agree with those that suggest she is one of the greatest photographers of her generation.

Absolutely.  She was a portrait photographer whose images were deceptively simple, and yet the more you look at them, the more they reveal.     Some of her portraits are the definitive image of their subjects,  her portrait of Samuel Beckett is how most people see and imagine the writer.  If you have never seen her work, do have a look 

Archived