Need Input from Sony A7 Photographers

Just like John i am also shooting with Nex-6. I am also very happy for my uses. My previous cameras where a Canon 50d and a Sony Alpha 77. Since i made step to Nex-6 i didnt used the larger ones anymore so i ended up with selling them. 

It is like i said for everyone there is a different need. I will stay for a while with the Nex-6 and we will see. Anyway it is very difficult to keep in track with the speed of Sony putting new cameras in the market. It felt like yesterday when the Sony Nex-6 came out and today it is allready "old cake'..... Lets not fall in the buying trap of Sony. 

Yes, everyone has different equipment needs. I'm lucky because mine are pretty basic, plus I can't afford Sony's buying trap, which they are very good at setting, I must admit.

Whew!  You had me worried for a moment Alan.  I'm not getting results like that out of my NEX6, especially the night shots.

I still want a smaller FF camera but I'm going to wait until next year and see if they come out with a new version of the A7R with IBIS.  That might win me over.

Whew!  You had me worried for a moment Alan.  I'm not getting results like that out of my NEX6, especially the night shots.

I still want a smaller FF camera but I'm going to wait until next year and see if they come out with a new version of the A7R with IBIS.  That might win me over.

Sony has had IBIS in their regular DSLRs for years, so you kinda have to wonder why they didn't include it in the A7 to begin with. It couldn't have been a marketing strategy, could it?

Lynn, I don't do much night / low-light photography. However, when I do, I find it easy to carry around a lightweight tripod, which is all the NEX cameras need, so that I can shoot at low ISOs. I have an inexpensive SLIK tripod that weighs less than one kg and slings over my shoulder.

Whew! You had me worried for a moment Alan. I'm not getting results like that out of my NEX6, especially the night shots.

I haven't tried any night work yet with the NEX6, but I'm planning to do so soon. On the evidence I have so far, I would not expect it to be any worse than the 5D2, which is OK for tripod work but really has to be pushed to the limit for anything else, making it touch and go as to whether the images would make it through QC. Most of the night shots on my first page were taken with the Sigma fisheye which gave me an extra stop over the 24-105.

My original comment was about general use, and the fact that when I came to select photos for an exhibition of canal-related photography I found that out of about a dozen pics exhibited, no fewer than 5 had been taken by the NEX (seen here) despite the fact that I still haven't even reached the 1000 mark with the camera. The NEX group contained the ones that received the most positive comments from the good people of my town.

Alan

Whew! You had me worried for a moment Alan. I'm not getting results like that out of my NEX6, especially the night shots.

I haven't tried any night work yet with the NEX6, but I'm planning to do so soon. On the evidence I have so far, I would not expect it to be any worse than the 5D2, which is OK for tripod work but really has to be pushed to the limit for anything else, making it touch and go as to whether the images would make it through QC. Most of the night shots on my first page were taken with the Sigma fisheye which gave me an extra stop over the 24-105.

My original comment was about general use, and the fact that when I came to select photos for an exhibition of canal-related photography I found that out of about a dozen pics exhibited, no fewer than 5 had been taken by the NEX (seen here) despite the fact that I still haven't even reached the 1000 mark with the camera. The NEX group contained the ones that received the most positive comments from the good people of my town.

Alan

Very nice. I especially like the barge in the tunnel shot. The only issue I've had when using the NEX-6 at night is its tendency to back focus. I had a QC failure last year because of this. Now I either manual focus or use flexible spot AF and choose my focus point carefully for night shots.

I've also got the NEX 6 and 5DII combo. Neither are fantastic at very high ISO, there isn't too much to choose between them. I use the NEX because I can carry it around all day, while I prefer the quality of the Canon 24-105 and accurate and predictable auto focus to the 16-50 of the NEX.  Using old primes on the NEX provides the quality without exceeding the weight limit, but no auto focus!

I've had the NEX for a couple of years and used it most days, the paint is wearing off in places, but it all seems to be hanging together.

Here are a few NEX 6 high ISO shots, all got through QC

DMN4WR.jpgDMN51P.jpgD2B1NW.jpgD8E4WE.jpgD2B1NY.jpg

I use the NEX because I can carry it around all day, while I prefer the quality of the Canon 24-105 and accurate and predictable auto focus to the 16-50 of the NEX.

Yep, that's pretty much my impression of the two in a nutshell. Also the Canon is better balanced in the hand and has a smooth satisfying shutter action which results in a higher proportion of keepers.

Alan

I agree with almost all that has been said above. My 5DM2/24-105 combo is both well balanced and reliable aside from being a bit large and heavy. However, I'm still enamored with the compact FF A7, and think the IBIS feature might be worth the extra money to me. I'm ultimately working towards maintaining two cameras, a smaller one for stock and the other for nature and wildlife.

I understand a full frame isn't absolutely necessary for stock shooting but I can tell the difference and prefer the detail captured by the bigger sensor. I do have both a tripod and monopod that I grudgingly use at night but if the A7 performs well enough at higher ISOs I might not need to always use them. I still think an A7ii will perform better than the NEX6 - faster shutter, better focusing, IBIS, and better high ISO performance. perhaps it's not as good as the 5DM2 but it will still be better than the NEX.

Archived