Need Input from Sony A7 Photographers

I need some input from those of you shooting the Sony A7 mirrorless camera, if there are any on the forum.

I currently use the Fuji X system, (X-T1 & X-E2).  I primarily use the 18-55mm for everyday use and the 35mm f1.4 and 60mm f2.4 for close-up work.  I love my Fuji's and the image quality they produce, but, I am having a problem with camera shake.  This is accentuated by the fact the cameras are small and Fuji uses an APS-C sensor.  I am coming from full frame Nikon.  For close up shots with my Nikons I used the 105mm VRII lens.  Fuji does not have OIS in any prime lens and the OIS on the 18-55mm is not very good.  It actually adds shake to any image shot over 125th/sec, in my experience.

So, I am considering buying the new Sony A7II with IBIS.  I realize the lens selection is rather limited at this point but they have what I would need, (24-70mm f4, 16-35mm f4, 55mm f1.8).  I am perfectly happy with using those lenses for the type of stock photography I wish to do.

My question, though, is what do you think of the image quality?  I have read that the A7s is perhaps the best low light sensor on the market right now but that is not the sensor in the A7II.  I have looked at a few examples, on-line, of A7 RAW files but most do not seem to be properly exposed.  Perhaps this was done on purpose to expose noise and the short comings of the sensor.  I'm not sure.

Believe me, I do not have "GAS".  I am not thrilled about changing systems again.  I love my Fuji's but I am finding myself taking up to four (4) shots of the same image, hoping I get one sharp.  And, I am trying to use 1/500th sec as my minimum shutter speed, but that is not always possible.

Any input will be welcome.  I do plan on renting the A7II and the 24-70mm f4 lens from Borrowlenses next month but would still welcome the input.

Well I've had the A7R and had camera shake.No keepers.

I then purchased the A7 and the 55mm 1.8,24-70,the Sony adapter and a couple of older cheap Minolta A lenses.

All I can say is...

What a waste of time for me and money.

I thought the lenses were very overpriced. The 55 1.8 was the best out of all of them but I did not find any gain in quality from any other camera I've ever used. I was quite disappointed actually.

Then I thought about it some more and realized,if I am going to use this system for work I will need a back up and I still won't have the lenses I need.

The Sony adapter has mirrors inside that you have to be very careful putting onto your camera and on your lens. I feared it would break on a shoot and I'd be screwed.

I packed up everything,returned most of it and sold a couple items I could not return.

I was really disappointed because i have an arm/shoulder injury and the weight was good.But seeing I'd have to carry a whole bag of lenses,I don't feel like I was cutting back that much on the weight from an APS-C set up.

The Fuji XT1 to me is a well rounded system. I did not keep it because I had a hard time w/focus on the red carpet but for everything else I did it performed perfectly.

I don't feel at this time I personally can trust the Sony logic of thinking. Their 'Pro' service charges $100 a year and requires photogs to have 2 pro bodies...WTH...

I also don't know their track record on service not to mention their reasoning with all of these confusing designation of lenses.

I was not impressed with the Sony A7/A7R. Never tried the Sony A7M2 or the AS.

I think this camera system requires more patience than what I have and it's not good for all types of photography.

I went back to Nikon with the D7100 and excellent 18-140mm kit lens and the Tokina 11-17mm 2.8.  So far,so good,no complaints.

I also bought the Neewer brand flash for appx $55 which has TTL and I can use off camera without using my remotes all of the time.

L

I am a Sony user since 5 years and i can say that the sensors of these cameras are amazing and can handle a lot. It is just like Linda said. To have a good Sony lens you have to spend a lot of money otherwise you will not use the sensors ability.

Looking at you needs it seems that for you it is important to have a light camera with good stabilization. In this case you could try to check out the Olympus OM-D series. These cameras are relative small with great in body stabilization. Next to that Olympus has a large choice of superior Zuiko lensen that gives extremely sharp results. The prices of this lenses are much cheaper then the Sony ones.

Mirco

Have you tried adding some weight to the camera by way of the add on battery grip?

It also gives an improved hold of the machine.

Another benefit is you will not have to change the battery so often when doing a long shoot.

Switch the OIS off on the 18-55?

Allan

Thank you Linda.  I have no desire to go 36mp just for that reason.  I would have to use a tripod for every image:-)  I have nerve damage in my right arm and shoulder but I think my problem is with a worsening balance issue, so the camera shake is becoming an issue.  The IBIS on the A7II looks compelling, but I have zero experience with Sony cameras.  The IBIS on the Olympus OMD E1 is legendary but I worry about that small of a sensor and noise at early ISO's.

Have you tried adding some weight to the camera by way of the add on battery grip?

It also gives an improved hold of the machine.

Another benefit is you will not have to change the battery so often when doing a long shoot.

Switch the OIS off on the 18-55?

Allan

Hey Allan,

I want to get away from battery grips.  I hear you though.  That would probably help a little.  If my shutter speed is at 1/125th or above I turn off the OIS on the 18-55mm.  I wish they would update the lens with their current generation OIS.  There is no clear indication OIS will be on the new 16-55mm f2.8.  I suspect it will not.

Thank you Linda.  I have no desire to go 36mp just for that reason.  I would have to use a tripod for every image:-)  I have nerve damage in my right arm and shoulder but I think my problem is with a worsening balance issue, so the camera shake is becoming an issue.  The IBIS on the A7II looks compelling, but I have zero experience with Sony cameras.  The IBIS on the Olympus OMD E1 is legendary but I worry about that small of a sensor and noise at early ISO's.

I'm not at all familiar with the A7 cameras, but I can say that the IBIS on Sony's conventional DSLRs works very well. 

I'm a fan of the old NEX5N and 6 used with Sigma and the Zeiss 24 1.8.

I bought an A7 when they first came out and without going into detail, I was very disappointed with image quality, the kit 24-70 lens was utterly appalling at all apertures!

I returned the whole kit for a refund, and went back to my trusty Fuji X Pro 1 and X100, which I have to say have far superior IQ.

I am a Sony user since 5 years and i can say that the sensors of these cameras are amazing and can handle a lot. It is just like Linda said. To have a good Sony lens you have to spend a lot of money otherwise you will not use the sensors ability.

Looking at you needs it seems that for you it is important to have a light camera with good stabilization. In this case you could try to check out the Olympus OM-D series. These cameras are relative small with great in body stabilization. Next to that Olympus has a large choice of superior Zuiko lensen that gives extremely sharp results. The prices of this lenses are much cheaper then the Sony ones.

Mirco

I had the OLY and my clients do not want images from small sensor cameras. My clients include advertising agencies,PR firms,film studios. So I use APS-C and my full frame.

L

And another thing...The Sony cameras including the A7,A7R,RX1 have the WORST battery life I have ever experienced.

And no,I will not carry a little red wagon of backup batteries.

With a DSLR I can shoot for days and not have to worry.But I always bring a back up battery...not 6 or more like with a Sony camera.

I loved the Sony flash and how it rotated though....

Sony is very innovative,I just think if they are going to charge more than 'the big kids' they need to work on lenses,battery life,better focusing(A7/A7R).

The A7 really doesn't like to focus in a room with ambient available light.

L

For months I've been toying with buying a zoom for my 5DM2 or replacing my NEX6 that I don't like with a Sony A7R as a compact everyday camera for street photography.  Reviews of the Sony A7R are conflicting and I just can't get into buying a $2000 brick for my Canon (aka lens).  I'm seriously considering just getting a used A7 instead to see if I like it, and then upgrade my 5DM2 next year when I figure out what I really want.

Next time what I plan to do is rent it first. Lensrentals.com is not that expensive and they  have a program that if you like the item,you can buy it.

I've wasted enough $$$ on too much back and forth since my injury.

So,at least for a year I HOPE I don't need to purchase anything more than a lens.

Lynn,I had the Sony A7R and this just isn't a great walking around camera unless you are in great light and can use a fast shutter or lug a tripod.

That was my experience and the same of many others. But done right,the camera is excellent...then again,I was not impressed with the direct line of Sony lenses for this format.

L

For months I've been toying with buying a zoom for my 5DM2 or replacing my NEX6 that I don't like with a Sony A7R as a compact everyday camera for street photography.  Reviews of the Sony A7R are conflicting and I just can't get into buying a $2000 brick for my Canon (aka lens).  I'm seriously considering just getting a used A7 instead to see if I like it, and then upgrade my 5DM2 next year when I figure out what I really want.

What don't you like about the NEX-6, Lynn? I'm very happy with mine. The menus can be a pain, but that's par for the course these days.

What don't you like about the NEX-6, Lynn? I'm very happy with mine. The menus can be a pain, but that's par for the course these days.

Ditto. I was selecting some pics recently to print up for an exhibition and I was quite surprised to find that a significant proportion had been taken with the NEX6 despite that fact that I've only had it a few months and only used it occasionally when I can't be bothered to lug gear around.

Also, after my brief and unsuccessful dalliance with the X-T1 I don't see anything that would tempt me away from the 5D2. At the moment I'm doing some of the best photography of my life with it.

Alan

I like my 5dm2. For QC it's been great and I've spent no time in the sin bin. If and when I trade it in it will probably be for a mark 3 or 4 although I hate the bulk and weight of the camera and lenses. Like many of you lugging a heavy kit around is increasingly more difficult with a bad back, knee, ankle and foot injuries. My sales here aren't going to support me any time soon so I work a full time job and look for stock shooting opportunities as they come. I can't carry a large camera during the day to work and in downtown Miami I don't need the attention large, expensive looking equipment brings.

I bought the NEX 6 and its size and specs would seem perfect but I find I'm losing too many shots due to high noise and the noise reduction software often leaves the image unusable. The same image taken with my 5dm2 can be fixed and will pass QC. Also, with the NEX's APS-C sensor cropping and downsizing are much more limited. The A7 would seem like a good alternative. It's still small, has a FF sensor and its limited lens selection isn't that important for my purposes. I really only need a couple lenses.

I can understand Linda's reasoning, she's shooting red carpet and weddings where equipment durability/dependability is an absolute requirement and tripods aren't practical. Personally, I find a tripod is a necessity for me at night, even with the 5dm2, but I'm hoping the A7 will perform better handheld than the NEX 6 for lower light conditions where I can't use a tripod but I can use a higher ISO setting. 

Alan, you have some good results from your NEX, what lens are you using with it?  Your evening shots, were they handheld or on a tripod?

Thank goodness I read this thread, especially Linda's first-hand experience.

Yesterday I came close to using reward points towards a Sony a6000, but decided to wait to see if a7000 had touch screen as rumored, but if Sony's a7 series isn't good enough for L's needs...

Right now I mainly use Nikon D4 and could really, really use an AFFORDABLE + SOLID mirrorless camera to fill in the gap between that and iPhone - Ann

Yesterday I came close to using reward points towards a Sony a6000, but decided to wait to see if a7000 had touch screen as rumored, but if Sony's a7 series isn't good enough for L's needs...

Right now I mainly use Nikon D4 and could really, really use an AFFORDABLE + SOLID mirrorless camera to fill in the gap between that and iPhone - Ann

There are lots of pluses and minuses. You only need to check which of them are important for you so you can make the right decision.  The A7 has mega image quality and is relative small but still not as fast as an DSLR. But reading that you where interested to check the A6000 i would say just try it out. The Sony A6000 is much faster then the A7. It can compete in my opinion with DSLR.

By the way...... in 2015 there are two new Sony cameras coming. It will be the flagships of Sony. 48 megapixel mirrorless cameras that are expected to be mega fast and especially build for the professional photographer. 

Mirco

There are lots of pluses and minuses. You only need to check which of them are important for you so you can make the right decision.  The A7 has mega image quality and is relative small but still not as fast as an DSLR. But reading that you where interested to check the A6000 i would say just try it out. The Sony A6000 is much faster then the A7. It can compete in my opinion with DSLR.

By the way...... in 2015 there are two new Sony cameras coming. It will be the flagships of Sony. 48 megapixel mirrorless cameras that are expected to be mega fast and especially build for the professional photographer. 

Mirco

Wow!  48MP.  Try hand holding that:-)  Now it makes sense why Sony put IBIS in the A7II.  Test bed for the new models.

Ann I bought a 14 megapixel Nikon AW1 mirrorless rugged small lightweight, for use around water. However I am finding I am using it for all kinds of things. The only drawback is that the excellent waterproof lens limits you to a 30-70 full frame equivalent. You can use non waterproof nikon series 1 lenses for more lens selection, but you loose the waterproofing. Took this image through the waterproof lens, while on my way to do water photography.

artists-group-painting-in-en-plein-air-a

Alan, you have some good results from your NEX, what lens are you using with it?  Your evening shots, were they handheld or on a tripod?

I use the 16-50 lens. The camera and lens are small enough to fit in a pocket and the 16mm means I don't lose any angles that I would have used with the Canon 24-105.

However, virtually all the photos on my first page were taken with the 5D2 + 24-105. The evening ones were handheld (or in the case of the one with blur, resting my arms on a railing), working right at the 5D2's limits so I've got a lot of others from the same shoot that weren't quite good enough for Alamy.

The only NEX6 shot on that page is this one:

EA71NY.jpg

Alan

My quest continues.  I'm not going to buy a not-quite-ready-for-prime-time camera.  I'll make due with what I have and see what the coming year brings.  Hopefully Nikon or Canon will come out with a compact FF mirrorless offering.

It's about time that Nikon and Canon brought something to the FF mirrorless table or at least made their future intentions clear in this regards (although that might risk medium term DSLR sales). The Sony A7 range may not be perfect yet but plenty of people are making the switch to them and getting very good results.

Ann, I can't speak to Linda's experience with the a6000, but I find my NEX-6 to be solidly built. I can see using it for a long time to come. In fact, after one year of shooting with the NEX-6, I'm only now figuring out how to get the most out of it. Also, I'm content with APS-C and love not having to lug around heavy gear any longer. However, I've never been one to obsess over equipment (except of course on the Alamy forum B) ). Better to go out and take pictures IMO.

Just like John i am also shooting with Nex-6. I am also very happy for my uses. My previous cameras where a Canon 50d and a Sony Alpha 77. Since i made step to Nex-6 i didnt used the larger ones anymore so i ended up with selling them. 

It is like i said for everyone there is a different need. I will stay for a while with the Nex-6 and we will see. Anyway it is very difficult to keep in track with the speed of Sony putting new cameras in the market. It felt like yesterday when the Sony Nex-6 came out and today it is allready "old cake'..... Lets not fall in the buying trap of Sony. 

Archived