Stockimo

Allan Bell

I must admit that the camera quality on my Android is a bit useless and Apple have the camera-phone market pretty much tied up so I have seriously considered getting an iPhone just so I can use Stockimo - But to be honest I just can't bring myself to buy one, I don't really want to get stuck in that iPhone rut, I like the freedom of a rooted Android.

I'm fairly sure that buying an iPhone for Stockimo use might be inadvisable, but if you can get a cheap one off eBay, it might be worthwhile. It doesn't need to be connected to a mobile network, after all.

Agreed, plenty of iPhone 5's under 150 quid on ebay. Connection to a mobile network is no problem. Sorry for my Apple ignorance but I didn't even know an iPod had a camera !!! I thought it was for music. But even 5MP is better than my new Samsung which only has 3MP. The iPhone 5 has 8 MP and is very tempting but I just don't need another phone.

• 10 months later...

Agreed, plenty of iPhone 5's under 150 quid on ebay. Connection to a mobile network is no problem. Sorry for my Apple ignorance but I didn't even know an iPod had a camera !!! I thought it was for music. But even 5MP is better than my new Samsung which only has 3MP. The iPhone 5 has 8 MP and is very tempting but I just don't need another phone.

The current iPod Touch has an 8 megapixel camera.

http://www.apple.com/ipod-touch/

We have FTP now.

We can upload with FTP photos made on any smartphone to a Stockimo folder.

Where is the problem ?

I don't see a Stockimo Folder when I login via ftp. Are you sure you're not confusing it with the normal stock upload?

My understanding is Stockimo images can only be uploaded via the Stockimo App.

We have FTP now.

Where is the problem ?

I don't see a Stockimo Folder when I login via ftp. Are you sure you're not confusing it with the normal stock upload?

I guess in theory, if you can get your pictures off your phone and onto your computer then you could upload them (via FTP or otherwise) as stock images like any other photo. So you would just be putting images into the normal 'Stock' folder.. not a special 'Stockimo' folder. Now that, theoretically, Alamy have done away with the supported camera list, then if the images are good enough to pass QC then this would be the alternative to the Stockimo app.

We have FTP now.

Where is the problem ?

I guess in theory, if you can get your pictures off your phone and onto your computer then you could upload them (via FTP or otherwise) as stock images like any other photo. So you would just be putting images into the normal 'Stock' folder.. not a special 'Stockimo' folder. Now that, theoretically, Alamy have done away with the supported camera list, then if the images are good enough to pass QC then this would be the alternative to the Stockimo app.

It would be one way for Alamy to allow those of us with Android phones, and no other iXXXX kit, to submit to Stockimo without need to develop an Android app. At least for existing contributors.

We have FTP now.

Where is the problem ?

It would be one way for Alamy to allow those of us with Android phones, and no other iXXXX kit, to submit to Stockimo without need to develop an Android app. At least for existing contributors.

The thing is though by uploading an image taken on a mobile phone direct to Alamy via FTP upload, you're not submitting to Stockimo. Maybe just semantics to some extent but the level of creative editing that is usually required to get an image accepted by Stockimo QC would likely be rejected by Alamy QC. Also, I believe Stockimo and Alamy pictures get pushed to different distributors/partner agencies.

Flickr have just published some interesting stats, suggesting that Apple devices for photography are even more popular than Nikon. Given that 10 billion images were uploaded to Flickr last year from 100 million users, this is significant.

They also posted some stats specifically about mobile phone usage across flickr:

Screen-Shot-2015-01-09-at-4.48.26-PM.png

You can read more analysis here: http://tnw.co/1BZLyva

We hope this goes some way to help explain why iOS is the current priority for us. We're really excited about being able to offer Android in the future, it's definitely something we also want.

Cheers

Alamy

I can see why iphone was a priority initially, but putting it another way you're ignoring the larger 60 odd percent who contribute that don't own an iphone.

3 years on from Stockimo's  launch I think it's somewhat sad you've not come up with a solution to this.

Another point.    The current system is being got round anyway.  One look at the stockimo pages  tells you that.  The depth of field or speed of reaction required on some is just not possible with an iphone.

Take just one example on the very first page.  It shows a couple in a mirror.  The keyword captions include mirror & selfie.  And the camera in the Mirror is..... A Nikon.

BTW I uploaded some when I had an iphone.  Not having one any longer does anyone know how you can tell if you make a sale?  Does it show up in your normal alamy account?

Cheers,  Dave

BTW I uploaded some when I had an iphone.  Not having one any longer does anyone know how you can tell if you make a sale?  Does it show up in your normal alamy account?

Cheers,  Dave

It pops up in the Stockimo app.. doesn't show in Alamy.. Stockimo users don't necessarily have an Alamy account....

Cheers,  Dave

It pops up in the Stockimo app.. doesn't show in Alamy.. Stockimo users don't necessarily have an Alamy account....

Thanks Matt,  best download it to my ipad then. Dave

Or you could just monitor your Pay Pal account for any Stockimo payments. Stockimo hits my PayPal on the first of the month, while Alamy Stock is usually on the 10th.

Or you could just monitor your Pay Pal account for any Stockimo payments. Stockimo hits my PayPal on the first of the month, while Alamy Stock is usually on the 10th.

That requires you to make enough sales to pass the earnings threshold at which they pay you! :-)

Thanks Lisa.  Great youtube videos BTW.  Wish I'd watched them whilst I still had an iphone. Would probably have helped my acceptance rate.  Dave

That requires you to make enough sales to pass the earnings threshold at which they pay you! :-)

Well I only managed to get 70 odd accepted anyway so I'm not holding my breath.....

• 3 months later...

iPhones may make up less than 12% of phones world wide but when's the last time you heard someone mention Androidography?

My son uses Windows at home and at work but he's on something like his third iPhone. He and his wife each have two iPads each.  Even WIndows users like iOS ;)

With 20 years in the IT industry, I can unequivocally say: No, they don't. :-)

Hi everyone,

This forum is for Alamy discussion only and therefore we can no longer allow posts to be made regarding Stockimo. 

Stockimo is a separate brand with a very different model in all aspects from submitting, shooting, keywording and as you can see from some recent posts - selling.

It's important that the Stockimo and Alamy brands are not confused.

We are considering the options of setting a Stockimo forum up but in the meantime, if you need to communicate with the Stockimo team you can email support@stockimo.com

The Stockimo team are also very active across social media on Instagram and Twitter.

Thanks for your understanding

Alamy

Archived