What would you like to see in the new manage images / upload process?

...Ability to Append or Delete words to any number of image keywords via batch process.

...Have defaults for most of the choices required in Manage Images

...Have a window choice larger than 96 images.  Say 200 images.  Scrolling down would not bother me.

1 - Editorial only button in Restrictions

2 - Appending of keywords

3 - Possibility to name people eg with quotation marks. So if you have John Jones and Paul Smith in the same picture to tell the search engine not to bring up Paul Jones and/or John Smith in a search.

I think some of the suggestions are very close to this, but to be specific:  a Lightroom plug-in using Lightroom's Publish capability that handles uploads, initial keywording and subsequent keyword updates (as and when those arise).  If Alamy retains the separation of keywords by significance as at the moment, the plug-in should include XMP extensions so that our keywords maintain the same separation.

FTP sounds nice, but if you implement it please beware FTP's security weaknesses..

Regards and Thanks for asking

Lionel

Ability to switch images, i.e a year later I review an image and produce a better version, I would find it useful to be able to just switch it rather than reload a flash image and yo have yo keyword, happy for them then to go into a holding pattern for review.

Ability to create key word templates for locations, subjects etc.

Ability to switch images, i.e a year later I review an image and produce a better version, I would find it useful to be able to just switch it rather than reload a flash image and yo have yo keyword, happy for them then to go into a holding pattern for review.

Ability to create key word templates for locations, subjects etc.

An option requesting it would be enough.

I can see the problems for images that have been sold before, when they come up for renewal.

Besides, clients do not always agree: I have some images where I have kept the original on line. Clients buy both versions, even if the superseded version sits buried deep below.

wim

FTP upload.

Keyword appending or deletion to a single image or group.

Flash removal for iPad or an externally developed iPad app.

Added search / filter options:

- images sold within last month

- images zoomed within last month

- images viewed but not zoomed within last month

If an image hasn't "gone live" yet give us the option to change its status back to incomplete or to delete it altogether, even if all the Attribute fields have been completed. 

I also vote for being able to see what images were uploaded for QC and give us the ability to delete images from the batch before it goes to QC.

I'd like a way for when keywording the word 'England', other variants could automatically be entered at the same time (in to the Main Keywords box). For example typing 'england' would also add 'english, gb, great britain, british, uk, united kingdom, europe, european' etc. etc. Also the same for Wales, Scotland, Ireland etc.

Maybe a personal preassigned custom button could do this ?

(could be useful for other variants too; transport, transportation, travel, journey etc).

And as others have said, a magnifier thing to help us find those tiny people in our images ! (for the number of people in image count).

I'd like a way for when keywording the word 'England', other variants could automatically be entered at the same time (in to the Main Keywords box). For example typing 'england' would also add 'english, gb, great britain, british, uk, united kingdom, europe, european' etc. etc. Also the same for Wales, Scotland, Ireland etc.

What a good a idea!

I would like to be able to batch add  keywords through Manage Images, without losing existing ones - for example, I have a lot of landscapes, keyworded with the word "landscape". You recently brought in a category for landscapes, which seems to include files keyworded with the single word "landscapes". Since you have said in the past that we should not use plurals unless there is more than one, all mine are missing from this category. No way am I going through files individually to add "landscapes". If you brought in stemming that would solve the particular problem, but would still be useful for forgotten keywords.

Thanks for asking for input, Alamy!

My wish list:

(1) Lightroom Plug-in that means I only need to do minimal work in Manage Images. This would largely negate (2) and (3)

(2) LARGE thumbnails, preferably delivered via a 'responsive' UI. For example, I do most of my work on a 27" monitor - the current thumbnails are tiny and I would like them to use as much of the screen real estate as possible. But if I move to an iPad for example, I would also want the thumbnail to occupy screen real estate in keeping with the size of the tablet.  'One size fits all' is no longer appropriate. 

(3) Along with everyone else, a simple way of batch appending, editing, deleting and grouping keywords, according to a grouping structure that I determine. 

What is the likely ETA on a new version of Manage Images (given I have a set of 9000 new images to upload :-) )

1. It would be great if you could have user-defined groups which could overlap, with group keywords.

e.g. I can add all photographs taken in England to my "England" group and have the keywords "England", "Britain", "UK" etc. attached to that group. Then if I later decide that I should add "GB", I can just update the group and all of the images will automatically update.  Of course, that image could be in other groups as well ("London", "Cityscapes" etc.).  With a bit of thought, a lot of the standard stuff could be easily covered.

There might also be a case for predefining/standardising some of these.

2. Group append keywords

3. Find and replace across groups and whole portfolio too.

Thanks,

Mike

Has the possibility of uploading videos through the same system been considered? To make it available would also imply making video submissions available to a wider range of contributors, not just those with established collections wiling to submit large number of clips at once. Or is this suggestion flogging a dead horse?

Maybe a personal preassigned custom button could do this ?

(could be useful for other variants too; transport, transportation, travel, journey etc).

Yes, a customisable keyword generator would be very useful: a way to store the set of keywords that a photographer habitually uses.

Allow the backspace key to work as intended.  If I mistype a letter I will generally backup and retype, but in Manage Images the backup key moves you to a different tab.

I find it works sometimes and not others - as you would say over there, 'go figure!'.  :D

Hi All 

Phew no more flash does this mean FTP for all?

Copy and paste between multiple monitors/windows

Photoshop plugin for iTCP fields to match alamy fields.

Oh And thanks for asking I think you should ask more of your contributors we use the system every day .

Jon

PS some sort of clickable thumbnail to see it larger for checking i.e. number of people

Please bear in mind not all of us have massive bandwidth.

+1 for video.  I am already a video contributor and have several thousand clips I would like to upload.  Sending in a disc with the clips on is not a great way to be doing this and is time consuming to process at least 250 clips at a time.  My initial sub was sent in on pen drives and came back with the envelope damaged and only one of the pen drives had actually been downloaded.  I would rather not chance a hard drive so have not uploaded any more clips. 

Also being able to keyword vids online rather than via spreadsheet.

Pretty please Alamy :) :)

I wonder if there is a way to give us some control over the order in which our images appear. Perhaps we could give an extra boost to a percentage of our portfolio to make our best images of a subject come up first. I think some scrambling is good but we might be able to improve the experience for the buyer as well as letting us put our best images forward. I realize it is not the most "artistic" images that sell best but I think we get a feel after a while for the sorts of things that get zooms and sell.

Paulette

I would like to see a clipboard function to put text into that would only function for the length of a session but with the option to save for future use any keywords, descriptions or titles.  I also want Manage Images to automatically recognize my photo subject and add the keywords, title, description, number of people, and whether or not I have model releases or not, and do it with one button push. :D

I wonder if there is a way to give us some control over the order in which our images appear. Perhaps we could give an extra boost to a percentage of our portfolio to make our best images of a subject come up first. I think some scrambling is good but we might be able to improve the experience for the buyer as well as letting us put our best images forward. I realize it is not the most "artistic" images that sell best but I think we get a feel after a while for the sorts of things that get zooms and sell.

Paulette

That would be great, but for which combination of keywords?

I would mean giving a weight to every individual keyword. I don't think that's viable.

I'm afraid the much maligned three tier keyword order is the only way to somewhat control the order of our images.

Unless we would have a system in place to give our own images a sort of ranking. Like what contributors now do with different pseudos. So we would have tiers within our pseudo. 3? 10?

This does not have a lot to do with Manage Images 3.0. It is however an important part of managing our images. I would be for it.

That three tier order may also be the only slight edge an individual contributor has on all the agencies.

wim

I hope I'm not asking for something I would regret later, but something is done to the Creative images that makes them come up first no matter which keywords are used. It can actually be annoying sometimes. The only elephant images of mine that get seen sometimes are the Creative ones so I am aware that there can be a disadvantage to the designation. I'd like some of my other elephants to show more often. So I'm just throwing it out there that there might be a way to influence the order of our images. Possibly the three sections we have now are really the best way.

Paulette

Archived