Changing to mirrorless camera

I have decided to sell my Nikon kit and go 100% Fuji mainly due to ill health and having to carry all the weight of a nikon http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/141453947328?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649

Unless you shoot sport and action then you won't regret it. I still have my pro Canon gear but I have only used it 3 times this year since I went down the mirrorless route (Fuji too). I keep it because I keep telling myself I shoot sport - I am deluding myself really! Weight and bulk was the main consideration fo rme as well but I had to maintain the quality.

Still hanging on to my Canon DSLR, but hardly used it these last couple of years after buying a Sony NEX 6.

I do miss the fast and accurate autofocus for people shots, but suspect that the next generation of mirrorless will have that sorted, I just need Sony to introduce that usable and quality assured general purpose zoom! 

If the rumoured Sony A7000 turns into reality and there is an upgraded and half decent Zeiss zoom, will follow your lead and sell Canon to finance purchase. 

Mirrorless, it has to be the way forward!

I think canon and |Nikon have missed the boat Fuji Sony Samsung Lumix producing great camera and once someone leaves a brand hard to get them back. I love my nikon system but weight is a big issue for me now

Still hanging on to my Canon DSLR, but hardly used it these last couple of years after buying a Sony NEX 6.

I do miss the fast and accurate autofocus for people shots, but suspect that the next generation of mirrorless will have that sorted, I just need Sony to introduce that usable and quality assured general purpose zoom! 

If the rumoured Sony A7000 turns into reality and there is an upgraded and half decent Zeiss zoom, will follow your lead and sell Canon to finance purchase. 

Absolutely Bryan, I am similarly waiting for the Fuji X-T2 and am sorting of hoping that the iminent new fast zooms with different AF motor technology may close the gap.

I agree that Canon and Nikon are in danger of missing the boat and risk losing a lot of customers unless they move very quickly. They should have hit Photokina with something. My guess is that there will be a full blown professional build mirrorless system within a year or two - something to compete with Canon 1D? and Nikon D4 and their successors. DSLRs will be a niche product at all levels in 5 years time. They are not perfect but I love EVFs - especially the other week when I was shooting in near dark (1/30 @ f4 at ISO3200) - I could actually see what I was doing with the Fuji, with the Canon it was pretty much guessowrk.

I'm not happy with the Nex 6 but I'm still eyeing the Sony A7R, and if it works out for me I will get rid of the 5DM2 in a heartbeat. My funds are a bit short this year so it will have to wait until next year to make the switch.

Bryan, I find autofocus with the hybrid AF-compatible Sony lenses to be very fast and accurate, but I know you are using mainly vintage manual-focus primes. The NEX's tendency to back-focus is the only real focusing issue that I have. Don't know if that is a problem with Fuji mirrorless cameras as well. Back-focusing caused me at least one QC failure, but I think I have it figured out now.

Hopefully, that rumoured new Zeiss zoom you alluded to will materialize. But then I won't be able to afford it anyway, and I've sold just about everything worth selling.  On my last trip to Mexico in 2013, I lugged along my DSLR and lenses and ended up never taking them out of the bag.

Bryan, I find autofocus with the hybrid AF-compatible Sony lenses to be very fast and accurate, but I know you are using mainly vintage manual-focus primes. The NEX's tendency to back-focus is the only real focusing issue that I have. Don't know if that is a problem with Fuji mirrorless cameras as well. Back-focusing caused me at least one QC failure, but I think I have it figured out now.

What's the secret then John?

Hopefully, that rumoured new Zeiss zoom you alluded to will materialize. But then I won't be able to afford it anyway, and I've sold just about everything worth selling.  On my last trip to Mexico in 2013, I lugged along my DSLR and lenses and ended up never taking them out of the bag.

That is where I was 18 months ago. Mirrorless has rejuvenated my photography - I have probably shot more in that time than in previous 4-5 years. And better work as well (mostly anyway). I am now back to full time photography, just tring to find exactly what my true metier is.

I have  Fuji x pro 1 which i won and have 18mm 35mm 55mm-200mm lens all great well maybe the 55mm-200mm could be a bit better. want the 10mm-24mm and prehaps XT-1 or hold out to see what else comes out

What's the secret then John?

I use the selective spot focusing a lot more than I used to, especially with the 55-210 lens. Also, I keep a careful eye on which focus points the camera is selecting when in multi-point AF mode. When I first started using the NEX cameras, I was too trusting of the technology. My manual-focusing skills never seemed to come back from the distant past, but I do use MF sometimes as well.

I also sold all of my Nikon gear to go 100% Fuji. An upgrade to my old DSLR had been long overdue and, in addition to IQ and high ISO performance, the size/weight of the replacement was also an important factor. No regrets after over a year with Fuji (X-E1 and X100), and I was pleasantly surprised at how well the Nikon lenses had kept their value.

I just packed up my Sony A7R and 24-70 f4 lens.

WHY?
Because the darn thing is a *itch to focus.That is if you want razor sharp images without using a tripod.

Maybe I get up too late in the day to shoot at 1/400 and  at f11 on iso 100?

Whatever;this is my second one this year.My photos look like mush.Did the same side by side shoot practically with my full frame Canon and zoom and the Canon is sharp as expected.

I know what the Sony A7R is capable of.I've seen some amazing photos and have a few friends that use them.But they are all tripod users.

The lenses for the system are really lacking and I'm not going to be lugging slow pricey adapters either.

I was given an A6000and returned it. I was not impressed with the kit lens and that shutter,like the A7R was sooooo loud. Also,the A6000 really can't be stealthy with noise like that and doesn't even have touch screen capability. I read the A7000 will though, so we'll see.

I love the idea of a smaller system but for action shots or red carpet,mirrorless is just not there yet unfortunately.

I thought Fuji IQ with the better lenses was quite nice though in many,but not all situations.

Canon and Nikon need to get serious before they lose the old breed of photog that has kept them in business. The younger photogs(not sports shooters) are not sporting 40 pounds of camera gear on their shoulder.They know better!

L

This morning this godawful noise started on my street, sounding like a cement mixer. So I opened the live cam shot of Mulberry, and there was a cement mixer parked across the street. 

(Oh gosh, I'm off topic again!) Ah . . . and when I looked at the EarthCam I saw someone with a mirrorless camera. 

I had a revelation yesterday. I did some food shots with the X-T1, hand held. 18-135 lens. They were sharp and in focus. Then I got out my D800 with 24-70 lens. Mounted on a tripod.

Comparing a 16mp hand-held camera with a 36mp camera on a tripod with a remote. I was completely happy with the nikon combo once upon a time. The Fuji blew the nikon away. So much for high resolution.

It had been a couple of months since I shot my Nikon, and when I picked it up, it felt like I picked up 3 bricks.

I'm still missing a 1:1 macro for my Fuji, and I know the superzoom is in the works. I don't understand why Fuji announced it but are waiting so far in the future to ship. The 1:1 Zeiss macro is very nice but I don't like the focal length.

Fuji has announced a future 90mm lens but nothing was said about it being a macro.

I'm so close to selling off all my Nikon gear, it scares me.

If and when, I'll save the money until an X-T2 comes out for a 2nd body. I can be patient, because n the event of a Fuji calamity, I still have two Sony RX100s. One being the third version.

The lack of macro for the Fuji was something I wasn't happy with either.

I have a client that wants the high MP count so that's why I opted for the Sony A7r.I wish Fuji would do a full frame that could work with their better lenses.

L

I've been a mirror-less convert since the early days of the Panasonic Lumix GH1 (2010) initially because of it's rather good abilities as a video camera. I think the whole mirror-less camera market segment has since 'come of age' and I couldn't see myself making a DSLR choice now.   

Since I got my Fuji x100 camera (mirrorless) my Alamy sales have just gone up and up. It goes most places with me, whereas a Canon DSLR doesn't !

Thanks. Useful to know as my plan is to buy an X100 in the next couple of weeks. Just need to finish having a clear-out at home to raise the funds.

Archived