Adobe Flash Player Trouble!!!

Earlier today my iMac could play videos on YouTube, HuluPlus and PBS, but now I'm getting a Flash out-of-date sign . . . and nothing plays. I click on that and get a window telling me to download Flash, which I've done twice, but then I'm told (by Apple?) that Flash won't open because they don't recognize the source---something like that. 

I can still play streaming videos on Netflix, for some reason. 

Does anyone know what's happening here? 

Thank you, Edo

I'm never entirely confident when I upgrade Flash. I have to drag it around a bit and there remain old versions on my drive so I'm just wondering if your iMac is finding an old version of Flash. I'm still on 10.6.8, I forget what kind of Cat that was called, Tiger I think. I'm stuck in the past because I have some legacy software which wont work on the latest systems. I dare say I wont get away with it forever. You upgraded to Maverick as I recall.

I'm on 10.9.5. Flash Player has, I assume, been playing in the background without problems, now this situation. Thanks for answering.

I know this is not a photography problem, but I think without YouTube it will become one. 

Yes, Gervais, all the problem video sites run on both Firefox and Chrome, even though I have not used them in the past, except for unloading them and testing them. I've been happily using Safari only till now. Thank you so much for that suggestion. You are a techie, I assume? 

Now the plot thickens. I have a Keeper keyword safe on my iPhone, which is no longer a smart phone, because I changed my contract and the SIM card. But the Keeper safe has been working fine . . . until maybe last week. Now it won't open. I do have a notebook where I've written down "all" the keywords, but maybe every one is not be up to date. 

Of course this is all coming down on me when I'm already jammed up with non-computer must-does. 

Any other useful suggestions, anyone? People of The Netherlands: suicide is not on the table at the moment. 

Edo

Ed, God forbid that anyone would think I'm a techie :)

The guys I mostly talk with are all film and tv music writers and computers are a way of life to them all. I just pick stuff up from mostly the American contingent and then pretend I actually know something (which I do but it's all second hand).

Yes, had a feeling that it would work on Firefox ( I assume that's right?). It's a Safari 'plug ins' issue by the sound of it. Check out 'plug ins' on the web and see what comes up.

Sorry Ed. Just don't do iPhones, Twitter or Facebook!  :lol:

Sorry to have labeled you as a techie, G. No offense meant. :) I don't consider it a dirty word, but it surely is a foreign word to me. Yes, I can run videos with Chrome and Firefox, but I can't get into my own blog to edit and I'm sure other problems will pop up.

I guess I told you I was a musician in the past and wrote jingles in the '90s.  B)

Yes you did and I wish I could write jingles! The money these days is much lower than it was.

Anyway I'm glad it works and I find myself going from Safari to Firefox often. Safari can be a pain and another app I don't have a lot of time for on Macs is their Mail app. That can be a serious pita to set up based on different providers. Mail setup should be easy as it relatively is on an iPad.

Ed, you can play Flash videos, yet you're getting an update warning?  Not a malware issue, by any chance?  E.g. - http://www.cnet.com/how-to/mac-flashback-malware-what-it-is-and-how-to-get-rid-of-it-faq/

Sorry, if I've misread or missed something - I just skipped through the thread rapidly before hitting the sack.

Jingles being in the commercial definition of the term, 15 to 30 second instrumental compositions. I was a ghost writer for a couple of high-end film composers I used to know back in my jazz days. I did things in jazz and neoclassical and New Age. Most of the other ghosts did rock or just textures. Very time consuming work. And there wasn't enough work to make a living. 

Thanks, Danny, for jumping in. Yes, I get a warning, no, I can't play Flash. There is a warning that I might have malware, but I deleted Flash and then downloaded directly from Adobe. Still won't work, still getting warnings. 

Hey, look! Here I am in the forum . . . but on Chrome! Do I look different? Could not upload images to Alamy on Safari. Got that same error message.  But sometimes there are funny things about these tech screw-ups. 

I mentioned earlier that I can't open the password safe on my phone. So I was looking for passwords in my notebook. I found what I thought was the most recent one for Alamy . . . but I couldn't read my own writing. It took me most of today to finally realize what the first word was. I'm laughing, sure, but I don't think I'd be laughing if I had not been able to figure it out. 

And Danny: I'm just now reading your link -- and yes, I think I might well be a victim of that malware. Oh my. 

The C/Net link that DannyC posted yesterday has changed. I tried the steps of discovering if I had the Russian virus, but found nothing . . . but I don't know if that's because I don't have the virus onboard or that my computer skills are just not up to the task at hand. C/Net says the problem is with both Safari and Firefox, which is why I'm now using Chrome. 

Are there no other forum contributors out there who are having this Flash Player virus problem? C/Net says that 600,000 Mac users are infected.

Thanks again, Gervais. It seems I may be the only Alamy contributor who's having these problems. And I'm not at all sure I have a virus.

I stopped in at the local Apple Store today and asked about Adobe Flash and the virus. Basically, they suggested I make an appointment to see someone at the Genius Bar, and bring in my iMac. The Apple floor staff are not as helpful as they once were and function mostly now as iPhone salesman. Since my extended warranty is up (iMac bought in 2010) and the iMac is heavy, I rather not mess with that Genius gang right now.

Using Chrome, I seem to be back to full function. (A new browser takes a bit of getting used to.) 

Piano piano (step by step). 

Ed, sorry - just came back to this thread.

I use Windows, so I'm probably not of much help to you, but I did encounter a threat page (Warning Flash out of date, etc.) which threw up a JavaScript button telling me to update Flash.  Whole browser (using Firefox, by the way) was unresponsive, (dependent upon that button), but as I never clicked the button, I was OK.

I started up in safe mode (computer and FF) and reset the tabs to only show one page on startup, deleted all history, cookies, cache, the lot, then gave the whole computer a good scrub down with malwarebytes (best AV program I've ever used).  All seems fine, but better safe than sorry, and all that.

Fingers x'd you have no probs.

Of course Malwarebytes is a Windows program so it doesn't run on a Mac. Since at the moment Chrome is allowing me to run videos and upload to Alamy I will be putting this problem aside for the moment.

Thanks, Danny.

Ed, I know you are on Safari/Mac, but by some strange coincidence, or not, my Windows 7 Firefox turned into a black screen for 24 hours this week, and I think it happened after I absent-mindedly updated Flash.   I ran Malwarebytes (which is a great program) and spent an hour online chatting with Norton, no luck.  Finally I logged onto Firefox's site from IE and searched for "black screen" and was advised to go in via Firefox's safe mode and uncheck hardware acceleration.  Problem solved!

Maybe your computer is having a similar issue?  Or otherwise, this may help Firefox users on W7.

No black screens here, Rosemary (sounds ominous), and Malwarebytes won't run on a Mac. And things have been working okay with Chrome, Google's browser. Glad you're up and running again. 

Gervais, my iMac was bought in 2010 and I'm running OS X 10.9.5 with 8GB of RAM. I've had nothing but routine bumps until this Flashback business. 

Archived