SHARPENING X-TRANS FILES IN ADOBE LIGHTROOM

This has been making the rounds lately...

I posted some comments under the article on Pete's site here.

I felt that his specific settings recommendations were far too strong for my tastes; at least what I consider to be the goal of 'capture' sharpening (induced artifacts and halos in the files I tested, YMMV). Certainly far too strong for any stock use- I would never send any files to clients or agencies sharpened as aggressively as he suggests. A properly captured image from an X-trans sensor is generally VERY sharp to begin with, and needs only a minimal amount of sharpening (I rarely use more than 20-25% sharpening, more often 15% or so)! He was gracious enough to post my slightly critical comments, and in his reply he says: "The settings given are my personal starting points that I find work best for my own needs – creating exhibition prints for our gallery (it’s very subjective isn’t it)."

So he is creating prints, not preparing files for clients or stock agencies- just something to keep in mind, as the requirements are much different! And yes, as he points out- it's all very subjective!

Otherwise, it's a very well-written and informative article for beginners to better understand the processes and terminology involved in Lightroom sharpening.

-Jason

I agree on the 'level" setting (with you Jason) - its more the "detail" setting i think that needs more investigation... 

Once again, I think it's dangerous to give such broad recommendations! The Detail setting may be (almost) as important as the Amount setting- But using 100 detail across the board is not going to be the best policy. Best way is just to test- Always better to try a few different kinds of images: At 100% magnification, hold the alt key while moving the detail slider. The effects are very easy to see, but once you cross a certain threshold (depending on the content of the image) you will begin to see details appearing where there should not be any (OOF areas, clear skies, etc) and this is when artifacts and halos can begin to form. So, on a shot with a ton of foliage and rocks, a higher detail setting may work fine, but on another image with clear sky or smooth water, or hard dark/light contrasts, it's likely undesired. 

-Jason

From the post

"My default landscape sharpening presets, providing good starting points for X-Trans RAF files from both the Fuji X-Pro1 and X-T1 are as follows"

From my post

setting i think that needs more investigation... 

At no point did anyone say

using 100 detail across the board is  going to be the best policy

I know the post is doing the rounds I had not seen it here so I thought I would post it....

Its worth a read and a play...

At no point did anyone say

using 100 detail across the board is  going to be the best policy

Its worth a read and a play...

Definitely agree! Just mentioned the "100 detail across the board" because that's what he uses for all of his suggested presets in the article.

-Jason

Thanks for the link Julie and I will look at it later, no time just now.

My settings in LR for sharpness and noise which have, so far, worked for me.

Sharpness  Amount 78

Radius  1.0

Detail    10

Masking 25

Noise reduction Luminance  0 (so detail and smoothness are greyed out)

Colour 25

Detail 50

Smoothness 50

Allan

Archived