Hi, Just wondering if any of you use a Wacom pen and tablet in Photoshop to do your PP for images. The reason I ask is that I am getting quite wobbly with the mouse now, and looking for something more accurate. I was looking at the Wacom Cintiq 13HD, a bit expensive !!!!  $1075 AUD :o

I have had the previous model, the 12 or how it was named (I mean the small tablet with a screen) but have sold it because I had problems with the offset (due to the thick glass layer) between the position of the pen on the surface and the real position of the hair-cross on the image below. Never got able to work around this offset, have used tablets for 10 years or so with a classical Wacom tablet without any issues, very useful for retouching etc. Using it with LR and PS (have the A5 sized Wacom).

Hope this helps.

I have one of the smaller (and cheaper!) Wacom pen and tablets (A6 size, Intuos range) which I got for under £100 a few years ago - for my day to day Alamy stuff frankly I dont use it -the mouse is fine, but I can see if I was doing more intricate photoshop work then I can see it would be very useful

Kumar Sriskandan

I've been using the Intuos 3 for years now both at work (before retiring) and at home, I'd find it hard to work without it now! I also use the wacom mouse as well as the pen.

There are enough features on this model for all my requirements, why not go for a used older model first to see how you get on? They are very well made and durable.

Best of luck

Chris

If I may speak for my teenage son, he uses the Wacom Bamboo to manipulate his Photoshop images so I'd imagine what others are saying here applies too. The only thing my son complained about early on was that the pen wears out quickly and by laying a sheet of acetate across the tablet, this prolongs the life of the pen.

Silly that one needs to resort to such measures with expensive gizmos - but it works apparently.

Richard.

I have recently upgraded my computer from Win XP 32 bit to Win 7 64 bit and my heart was in my mouth - would I be able to use my Wacom Intuos tablet, which must be about 15 years old. No problem,Wacom had an up to date driver available on line. Marvellous.

I really would find it difficult to process my images without it.

Barry

I have used a Wacom Bamboo for about 5 years, and use it for all my computer activity, not just working on images.  It took a little while to get used to it, but then I wondered how I ever did without it!

I've had a few issues with my Wacom Pen 'n' Touch (Bamboo range) on a Mac. Deleting all the Bamboo Dock cruft helped enormously so I'm left with just the tablet driver and no flowery drawing programs and such.

Having said that, it still doesn't play nice with onOne PhotoSuite and I occasionally have problems with the cursor going AWOL in PhotoShop CS5 but it's a lot more stable now in other regards, notably with Aperture.

Whether I use the tablet or the mouse depends on what I'm doing.

One thing about using the tablet I wish I could change is to be able to configure it so that the pointer only moves when the pen is actually touching the tablet surface rather than moving when the pen tip is within a couple of cm above it. I'm guessing that disabling that may interfere with tapping and clicking and so on then, though. And it's probably a feature that someone else can't do without...

Archived