Understanding Alamy Statistics

I've always been somewhat confused by the statistics on Alamy so I tend to ignore them.  All I really knew was that my stats were poor.  Thankfully the last 3-4 months have been quite a bit better for me--my zooms are up, I've made a couple sales and for a change my numbers seem to be on par or slightly better than Alamy's.  My CTRs for the last three months are 1.61, 0.88 and 0.72. 

I'm curious whether I'm interpreting the numbers correctly?  Does my Average CTR correlate directly to Alamy's Average CTR, and why do I have a Total CTR but Alamy doesn't? 

My stats under My Alamy today are:

My best performing pseudo 0.92

My Total CTR 0.44

My Average CTR 0.67

Alamy's Average CTR 0.46

One last thing is especially confusing...my total zooms dropped by 2 since this morning.  How can that happen??

I'd be more inclined to compare each individual pseudonym with the "All of Alamy" average CTR. That'll give you a better idea of how each pseudo. performs. There is of course nothing to stop you using your average CTR. I'd ignore the total ctr which is a straightforward  average of your CTRs (add up ctr for each pseudo and divide by number of pseudos) - it's rather meaningless and can be skewed by  small pseudos.

The total zooms is the number of zooms counted over a one year period so I'd guess you had two zooms on 30th Sept. 2013 which have mow fallen off.

I'd be more inclined to compare each individual pseudonym with the "All of Alamy" average CTR. That'll give you a better idea of how each pseudo. performs. There is of course nothing to stop you using your average CTR. I'd ignore the total ctr which is a straightforward  average of your CTRs (add up ctr for each pseudo and divide by number of pseudos) - it's rather meaningless and can be skewed by  small pseudos.

The total zooms is the number of zooms counted over a one year period so I'd guess you had two zooms on 30th Sept. 2013 which have mow fallen off.

Bit off duff information there, I'm afraid!

The Total CTR is the important one for your own statistics - the total zooms divided by total views. The Average CTR is just an average of averages, which is meaningless.

The number of zooms is a rolling 30 day total, not annual and will constantly change.

The only real thing to aim for is as high a CTR as possible but, with small collections and few zooms, there will be wild fluctuations which don't really tell you very much.

Ian D

"The number of zooms is a rolling 30 day total, not annual and will constantly change."

Ian D

It's not quite that simple.  Without changing anything there are 3 different Total CTR measures, reflecting 3 different measurement periods.

On the opening dashboard the Total zooms and Total views are rolling annual totals and represent the number of zooms and views recorded in the period at the top of the measures statistics.  As of this morning that was 01 October 2013 to 30 Sept 2014.  Your dashboard total CTR is derived from this annual no of zooms / annual number of views * 100.  This is taken across all your pseudonyms. 

The CTR figures shown in the graph are total values for each individual month.  These show the current position within the month as the month rolls on.  The 1st of the month will always show zero for that month because the figures for that day have not yet been updated.

Only when you click the Your Images button and go into Pseudonym summary does it show a rolling 30 day total.  This is a default value which can be altered in the date settings - but only for a single use.  As you rightly say, Ian, this constantly changes to reflect the previous 30 day period.

"The number of zooms is a rolling 30 day total, not annual and will constantly change."

Ian D

It's not quite that simple.  Without changing anything there are 3 different Total CTR measures, reflecting 3 different measurement periods.

On the opening dashboard the Total zooms and Total views are rolling annual totals and represent the number of zooms and views recorded in the period at the top of the measures statistics.  As of this morning that was 01 October 2013 to 30 Sept 2014.  Your dashboard total CTR is derived from this annual no of zooms / annual number of views * 100.  This is taken across all your pseudonyms. 

The CTR figures shown in the graph are total values for each individual month.  These show the current position within the month as the month rolls on.  The 1st of the month will always show zero for that month because the figures for that day have not yet been updated.

Only when you click the Your Images button and go into Pseudonym summary does it show a rolling 30 day total.  This is a default value which can be altered in the date settings - but only for a single use.  As you rightly say, Ian, this constantly changes to reflect the previous 30 day period.

You're quite right, John - mea culpa.

I rarely use the dashboard but have a link directly through to Measures, as I find the most useful information comes from going down to individual pseudonym level.

Thanks for pointing out my error! I might even be wrong about the Total/ Average on the ddashboard, although I haven't checked?

Ian D

I agree that it is the 'total' CTR figure that is the most important - whether that is on a annual or monthly or any other basis...

Average CTR - is as Ian says is just the avarage of averages and is, statisticaly,  a worthless figure

The confusion in  terminology is compounded when we need to compare our total CTR with Alamy's average to see how our portfolio's are faring..

km

Confusing is right guys!

I must compare my total with Alamy's average CTR? Surprisingly I never noticed before that it was a one year total and that zooms were dropping off. Still, bring on the re-rank, I'm bound to finally move up a few pages! It would be nice to see if I get more zooms with a better ranking.

Thanks for all the help.

Bit off duff information there, I'm afraid!

The Total CTR is the important one for your own statistics - the total zooms divided by total views. The Average CTR is just an average of averages, which is meaningless.

The number of zooms is a rolling 30 day total, not annual and will constantly change.

The only real thing to aim for is as high a CTR as possible but, with small collections and few zooms, there will be wild fluctuations which don't really tell you very much.

Ian D

Me provide duff info? :)  I used to be the only one who understood these. Yep I muddled total with average. Obviously I was describing average CTR . .. but I stand by comparing each pseudo with the Alamy average. Depends on what individuals do but if they for instance have "A" and "B" pseudos the total CTR only gives an overview of the whole.

..and of course total zooms is a rolling annual total as I correctly pointed out. (This is the total zooms as stated on the summary page of my Alamy as opposed to the pseudonym summary page which initially displays rolling 30day stats.) 

Archived