Hey there, 

As a relatively new member I have struggled to build my portfolio based on the fact that most of the images I like to take or have the opportunity to take would probably require a model/property release. 

I have noticed over the last couple of days that every person I've looked at pictures of (about 10 people ) doesn't seem to have model/property release for most of the work that is on here. So how does anybody sell anything? 

I reckon I could increase my contribution by a bucket load if I didn't need releases, however, I was always told that I needed it for everything that wasn't owned by me or in the public domain. 

I went through about 20 pages yesterday of someones portfolio and not one picture had a model/property release and it was mostly pictures of town centres, parks, car shows, or candid moments out and about. Some were even models in a studio. So I scratched my head for a while, then created this thread. 

How do these images sell? 

Cheers, 

Paul

Glasgow

Hi Paul,

Releases are needed when you sell your pictures as RF (royalty free).

Submitting them as RM (rights managed) doesn't require any model or property releases.

Cheers,

Philippe

This is quite clearly where I have gone wrong. I really don't believe that I have been this stupid and did not find this out sooner.

Thanks for the info :)

Remember that although you dont need model or property releases for RM images, if you have them it often will make them more saleable for both editorial and then also commercial uses!

Kumar Sriskandan

While Philippe is right in essense it is just a bit more complicated

If you have people or owned property in your pictures you can still sell them for 'Editorial' use without releases - as RM - the same pictures sold licensed for a commercial usage would need the permission (release) to be available . 

Many pictures are licensed by newspapers and magazines and are used in the 'Editorial' context as simple illustrations - and providing that the image does not bring the subject into 'disrepute' by implying that they have, or subscribe to undesirable  traits then there should be no problem - the same of course applies to implying any particular attitude to a product - either approval or disapproval.  But this is in the hands of the publisher of the work - not you - they are the ones who would be at fault providing that you make clear in your information fields that you do not have releases - and that the images are available for normal editorial usage.

The best money of course is for commercial/advertising usage, and there model/property releases are essential and simply standard practice.

Looking at your images almost all of them qualify for the 'Editorial use' - so if you've got more then RM is the route to go - if you've got releases so much the better !

While Philippe is right in essense it is just a bit more complicated

If you have people or owned property in your pictures you can still sell them for 'Editorial' use without releases - as RM - the same pictures sold licensed for a commercial usage would need the permission (release) to be available . 

Many pictures are licensed by newspapers and magazines and are used in the 'Editorial' context as simple illustrations - and providing that the image does not bring the subject into 'disrepute' by implying that they have, or subscribe to undesirable  traits then there should be no problem - the same of course applies to implying any particular attitude to a product - either approval or disapproval.  But this is in the hands of the publisher of the work - not you - they are the ones who would be at fault providing that you make clear in your information fields that you do not have releases - and that the images are available for normal editorial usage.

The best money of course is for commercial/advertising usage, and there model/property releases are essential and simply standard practice.

Looking at your images almost all of them qualify for the 'Editorial use' - so if you've got more then RM is the route to go - if you've got releases so much the better !

Thanks for the detailed answer David. It's close to my understanding of how it works. My current portfolio is not very good and needs work, but its nice to know that editorial is popular, but with releases its more saleable

Archived