There has been talk in the forums of members submitting jpeg images straight from the X-T1 lately.

As I have only ever shot RAW with my X-T1, for which some of the camera settings have been left at neutral as they do not affect RAW images, I am hoping members will not consider this an imposition, but would ask their help with jpeg settings for the X-T1.

As I am leaving shortly for a two week sabbatical in the Cotswolds I do not seem to have time to experiment with jpeg settings before leaving so am asking if members who use X-T1 cameras would mind giving me their base settings for such menu items as:

Dynamic range

Colour

Sharpness

Highlight tone

Shadow tone

Noise reduction

All of which are set on zero at the moment but have settings from -2 to +2.

Thanking you all for any advice you can give, even if I have missed something. :mellow:

Allan

I have used the default (RAW+Fine) settings and sent ooc JPGs through the News and Reportage channels with no problem. They bypass the usual QC but I do believe they get at least a cursory inspection by the News team as they change order and have asked me questions about submiisions (conternt not quality).

If you have the cards why not shoot RAW+jpeg and play with the settings for the weather (overcast seems likely) knowing you have RAW to fall back on (can even delete them if you are happy to make space). When I first had the X-E1 I even converted a RAW in-camera when I got an exposure wrong on a (jpg) news pic I needed. I was able to boost the exposure & contrast when I realised and I created a new, more usable, jpeg for download - it happily went up to Alamy News

Allan, set Noise Reduction to -2 and Sharpness to at least -1. Even at -1, there is still some NR going on with the Jpegs. If you leave the it at Zero there is an increased chance of the watercolour effect.

The max I have used the Dynamic Range setting is 200. Be aware that using this will push the ISO up more than it has to be so in order to cover an increased DR. I quite like the effect you can get with this at times, even when set to 400 (I used the Auto 200 and 400) but make sure it isn't on dull days or to limited light otherwise you will quickly be using high ISO. I'd recommend having a bit play with these. You can get the same/similar effect in raw by using the Highlight and Shadow sliders.

Thank you for your input gentlemen and to the lady who sent me a PM.

While on sabbatical I will give all your suggestions a trial to see which suits my working/shooting  best.

Allan

Archived