Fed up in the UK - where can I go?

Afternoon all

Arrived Sunday and hoped for the best but here I am on Wednesday afternoon bored to tears!

Spent yesterday in Dorset but it's a county I am now getting a little jaded with. Too many images come from there.

Not sure what to do at all and getting fed-up big time. Thought of driving up to the Lakes for a couple of nights before pushing on up to Scotland but even that isn't filling me with wonder.

Anyone help...please!!!

Going nuts 

Jools

PS Currently in Salisbury if anyone local fancies a natter :)

It's the damn weather that's killing me.

Just come back from Dartmoor. very hazy skies and felt very unispired with the woodland. Now in Salisbury and it's the same.

I "could" go up to the Lakes but I have a lot of material from there already and I feel I would be repeating it :(

Don't know the Welsh Marches at all so I wouldn't know where to start. I didn't want to be doing towns and cities on this trip if at all possible.

LOL :D

I am very tempted by Scotland. I want to go to either the Cairngorms or the Trossachs. However, driving up on a whim makes me feel knackered just thinking about it.

Currently very tired as I don't feel I have stopped driving since 6AM this morning.

Ah, Mother Nature at work in the UK. (I can still use that term for a day or two, no?) Remembering my years in Oxfordshire, if it starts to go overcast and rain about now, you can't count on seeing the sun again until mid-April.  As a visiting landscape shooter, you have chosen a rough path, Jools. Maybe night shots are doable, done at dusk, of course? 

Good luck, Edo

Hazy/cloudy skies = nature's soft box.  Try switching it up and focusing on the details that don't involve the sky.  There's a photographer here in Denver that amazes me with the details he sees and I study his images on a regular basis to try and train my eye a little differently.

http://chasphotof8.smugmug.com/

Hmmm, there was decent light most of the way on the drive from the south west (Devon) up to the Midlands and across to East Anglian today..... sun is shining rather nicely on Suffolk/Norfolk border at moment.

I have made a request for good light early tomorrow morning as I have a shoot just over the border in Suffolk.....pretty sure it will turn out nice.

If it were me, I would head to the city....the bright lights are very useful if the weather is less than favourable.

Considering the fuel you are using, I think a concept shot of carbon footprint is appropriate....

The East side of the country usually has clearer skies. It is well known that the West is the rainy side. Even so you have been unlucky in hitting a bad patch.

Allan

Tell me about it!

Yesterday, that supposed weather forecasting service said that in Dorset there would be clear skies by 7AM. Nope, more like 11am!!! Felt like I have thus far wasted two days over here :(

My original plan for this period was to have ventured down to the Pyrneenes. Me thinks I should be there.

There is a north-easterly air flow over most of the UK at the moment which seems set to continue for several more days. This type of airflow sometimes leads to this kind of still cloudy weather. It's very different from the typical Atlantic cloud one gets in the Scotland and Ireland with lots of rain and wind. The present conditions can be good for plant close-ups because of the low winds - lots of berries about at the moment. Tomorrow looks like the exception (here in Cambridgeshire at least) with sunny spells predicted for most of the afternoon with very nice temperatures of 23 or so - otherwise it is not looking good for decent sunlight in the east of England for several days if the Met Office is correct.

Grim, bleached out white sky here in South East Scotland. Has been like it all week. It's cold too, but at least it is not raining as it was on Monday - that fine mist that turns out to be drenching rain. 

It has turned quite nippy - nippy enough for me to try out my new furry boots. Every cloud has a silver lining.

My original plan for this period was to have ventured down to the Pyrneenes. Me thinks I should be there.

Head down to Plymouth, get the ferry to Santandar ....a day of whale watching in Biscay instead of driving...sorted..

Would be nice 

If there is no wind, then there is the possibility of mirror-like water on lakes....  

This is true but it still means driving up. I'm not discounting Scotland, in fact I'm chomping at the bit to go up again. It's just the thought of the drive especially after today and just ambling!

Go where the poets roam, rather than where photographers are tripping over each other, and it doesn't matter what the weather is doing, it will be just right:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/books/10462063/City-of-Culture-Hull-is-a-city-of-poets.html

http://www.theguardian.com/travel/2012/sep/07/poet-philip-larkin-trail-hull

Well, if the lakes don't come up trumps for weather, maybe you could get shots of the end of the fishing season (England as well as Scotland) - fly fishing, trout & salmon - the season closes between end of September and end of October, so a last chance to get those shots - if you want them.

Remember that the Ryder cup is taking centre stage in Scotland next week. It's at Gleneagles (Perthshire), so may or may not interfere with your plans, but it will certainly bump up the numbers of visitors for the time of year.

edited for typo.

That's why I'm fed up with Dorset. I went to Corfe Castle due to the possibility of mist. I have some images from there but I'd like a good sunrise to top them off. Being a weekday, I thought I'd have the place to myself. Nope, a workshop plus two others were up there. Place was crawling with togs.

The countryside of Dorset is beginning to bore me quite considerably.

I do have a hankering for Scotland but as I said, driving all the way up there and then the Met Office have fouled up the prediction won't make me a happy bunny. I don't want to be wasting fuel driving up and down Britain. It's thoroughly depressing.

Thinking that tomorrow I will rest up a bit and guage the weather. Will also give me more time to come up with some options. I did have options for my time here but the weather map has really scuppered them.

Hi Jools - Having looked at some of your images you seem to favour landscapes and buildings of note. How about Bath, Bristol, Wells and Oxford for 'local' interest. Moving on along the Thames and then on to cities with cathedrals. The weather is a pain at the moment but there is still potential for special moments whatever your interests.

Have a great holiday.

dov

Archived