Will soft edges and corners fail QC

Perhaps a old topic,  I am currently editing landscape images that were taken with my former Canon 17-40mm.

Unfortunately edges and corners a soft,  has anybody experienced QC failures in this area.

I know that cropping will solve the problem,  but i wish to keep the full image.

Thanks to all!

Paul.

I have not found that the soft edges, from the 17 -40mm Canon lens  are problem, when getting images through QC. Providing the greater part of the image is sharp (e.g. proportionate to the f-stop used), I think that the people at QC  are mindful of the different lens characteristics that photographers use. Judicial use of Lens correction settings in  Lightroom  also helps, as it offers  some correction of distortion and chromatic aberration etc.  As far as I can tell,  depending on  the depth of field/f-stop, used, QC do not expect the image to be sharp all the way from foreground to background. As long as the main point of focus is relatively sharp it should get through. This is best illustrated with images shot with a Macro Lens which, by definition, will have a narrow depth of field and the background will be very soft/fuzzy (e.g. Bokeh)  I know some of this is a little off-topic, but  I hope it helps. :)

P.S I don't crop the images taken with this lens to remove the soft edges and have not had QC problems.

It's your call, Paul.

You have to decide if the soft edges effect the subject and the impact of the image. Another consideration when deciding if you should submit any image is: is it important enough to rise the sin bin.

Good luck.

Just had a look at your image John,  soft edges on such a image would be harder to get through than mine as all my soft edge images are landscape,  so i have a little more confidence.

Thank's for the image!

Yes Ed it is my call,  lately my call's have been a bit dodgy.

And thank's to John Gaffen, for you detailed info,  it all helps.

Paul.

Archived