the search: creative vs relevance

I believe that "Relevant" is the default search option. I imagine that the "New" tab gets a lot of use these days, especially when a search brings up thousands of images. The "Creative" results often seem to be all over the map. This category is a bit of a mystery to me, which is probably why my images aren't in it.

Creative is default. I just removed my preferences and it reverted to creative on the next search.

What preferences? I don't see any preferences. It just defaults to Creative every single time for me.

Alan

So have I got this right, creative is default? i.e. editorial content gets prefs then since its the default. Wait a minute it dont sound right, surely relevant must be default. BTW, funkyworm!  what preferences are you talking about?  I mean in that case its important pictures are going into the right search, or else.

Creative is default. I just removed my preferences and it reverted to creative on the next search.

What preferences? I don't see any preferences. It just defaults to Creative every single time for me.

Alan

Alamy must think all your images are creative. Mine do not appear in creative.

Allan

For a new browser it seems to default to creative, for a return within the browser or a log off it seems to take your last preference.

For the OP, creative is supposed to be creative...it's aimed at commercial, so if you think it's editorial in nature...it's failed it's purpose.

I still don't understand 'Creative' - I tried lots of searches and to my eye it seems random which are classed as Creative and which aren't. Even several of my own series have one or two apparently randomly assigned to creative, which is fine as they show up in a Creative search, but I don't see the difference.

Alan!  no!  in fact I find that creative contains much more editorial shots then relevent and I am not sure editorials can be classed as creative, not in that sense anyway. This is the reason for my OP.

I mean for me its absolutely pointless if lets say one of my oil-industrial, rigged up shots, selling at all other agencies as creative only to try and sell here as relevant.

Alan!  no!  in fact I find that creative contains much more editorial shots then relevent and I am not sure editorials can be classed as creative, not in that sense anyway. This is the reason for my OP.

I mean for me its absolutely pointless if lets say one of my oil-industrial, rigged up shots, selling at all other agencies as creative only to try and sell here as relevant.

Different Agencies, Getty for instance, have different definitions of Creative and Editorial.  You can't easily make comparisons.  Alamy's definition seems totally based on views, sales and who they favour.

Pearl

Different Agencies, Getty for instance, have different definitions of Creative and Editorial.  You can't easily make comparisons.  Alamy's definition seems totally based on views, sales and who they favour.

Pearl

No, Alamy set out with the intention of having creative more like Getty creative

http://www.digitalartsonline.co.uk/news/graphic-design/alamy-expands-collection-of-creative-stock-images/

Their examples are not editorial, what's happened is that because Alamy only really do software solutions, you end up with a mixture which makes no sense. It's sort of a best of...calling it Creative or Commercial collection (version 3 IIRC) just confuses the people they were originally aiming at. Calling something Creative in this business does mean something quite specific...and it ain't 'best of editorial'........

Today, the default seems to be "Creative" when I try searching. So I guess that's what it is.

Yesterday, when I tried with the same search terms, "Relevant" images were coming up first for some reason.

I agree, terms like "creative" and "best of" don't really mean very much. However, I think all this has been discussed before.

Unless things have changed, Creative is an account type.  You apply to Alamy to have a "creative" account.   The search engine simply keys off the account type and presents "relevant" creative images  if creative is selected.  That's why the images chosen may or may not look like they should be first, or even relevant. If you don't have a "Creative" account your images will never appear under the creative category. 

charles

Unless things have changed, Creative is an account type.  You apply to Alamy to have a "creative" account.   The search engine simply keys off the account type and presents "relevant" creative images  if creative is selected.  That's why the images chosen may or may not look like they should be first, or even relevant. If you don't have a "Creative" account your images will never appear under the creative category. 

charles

That is only true up to a point. Yes there is a Creative sub-collection which requires an application and acceptance by Alamy. But it is not true they are the only images that appear under creative. I am not a Creative member and occasionally see my images under creative, one in particular which is anything but creative in my view - search No Football (C9A6HN) it came up third when I did it.

charles

That is only true up to a point. Yes there is a Creative sub-collection which requires an application and acceptance by Alamy. But it is not true they are the only images that appear under creative. I am not a Creative member and occasionally see my images under creative, one in particular which is anything but creative in my view - search No Football (C9A6HN) it came up third when I did it.

Mine sometimes come up in Creative as well. Apparently, if you tilt your camera about 30 degrees from the horizontal when composing, this greatly improves your chances of being considered creative. B)

charles

Hi, Charles. Martin and John are right. If you were to do a search of Nolita, New York, you would find 111 images of mine in Creative, and I don't belong to any Alamy Creative group. 

Still new to this:

What exactly is a Creative Account?

Does one want one?

How do you get one?

Thanks!

Now that Alamy has a new blog they have removed the old blog which explained how this all works. I thought the creative tab had replaced the original creative category but perhaps it is a hybrid of some sort.

Pearl

Pearl

No, Alamy set out with the intention of having creative more like Getty creative

http://www.digitalartsonline.co.uk/news/graphic-design/alamy-expands-collection-of-creative-stock-images/

Their examples are not editorial, what's happened is that because Alamy only really do software solutions, you end up with a mixture which makes no sense. It's sort of a best of...calling it Creative or Commercial collection (version 3 IIRC) just confuses the people they were originally aiming at. Calling something Creative in this business does mean something quite specific...and it ain't 'best of editorial'........

Geoff!

I am not sure about that. I have been with the Getty-RM House-collection since 1995, since they took over Stones and their house collection is REALLY creative, in fact they don't accept anything else. As I said in my OP, creative here seems to be lots of editorial content.

I am still no wiser as regards to which one is the actual default search?

best.

Still new to this:

What exactly is a Creative Account?

Does one want one?

How do you get one?

Thanks!

There's no such thing any more, others here are referring to the old Creative Collection which was a previous incarnation.

You don't apply to anything. Alamy will pick images which are tagged for the creative filter. It's done by either software or apparently by an occasional eyeball. When it started some pseudos had large numbers of images added to creative when searched by pseudo but that was filtered somewhat as time went by (my 9 pages became 5 IIRC).

It's not really a creative filter (creative in the sense of commercial..not in the sense of creativity Edo), it's almost a hybrid 'best of' excepting that it's not. Top global sellers from some agencies are not included which is crazy. Fundamentally it does allow a filter which may be used by some but as a commercial 'collection' it's not hitting the spot IME. Alamy really doesn't have that client base and it's very difficlut for them to compete for commercial with the likes of G/C eta who will often have the same images from the significant collections.

Pearl

Geoff!

I am not sure about that. I have been with the Getty-RM House-collection since 1995, since they took over Stones and their house collection is REALLY creative, in fact they don't accept anything else. As I said in my OP, creative here seems to be lots of editorial content.

best.

C,

Their intention was to have a more commercial collection, same as the intention with the two earlier incarnations, it just hasn't worked out that way since they won't do it by eyeball but insist on part software solutions.

I have work that sold very well on Getty house collections, now with a third party, that is not in creative and yet one image that was frankly a filler (has never sold...do get the odd one) and sits in there doing nothing.

Default is browser use dependent as previously mentioned but first time log on should be creative.

Hi Martin, John, and Ed; as I said it's been a while since I dropped by Alamy so apparently things have changed.  It would appear that Alamy is using some of their algorithmic magic to create the Creative filtering.

TokyoM1ke, I can't seem to find the info on how to get a Creative account. It would appear, from what others have said that it don't exist anymore? It used to be that you set up a completely different account, populated it with a few hundred images, then asked Alamy to evaluate the account for suitability.  If Alamy felt that the images were suitable for Creative and that you understood what "creative" means, they would tag your account as Creative. 

Thanks Geoff!  yep it sort of explains it pretty well.

Pearl

Geoff!

best.

C,

Their intention was to have a more commercial collection, same as the intention with the two earlier incarnations, it just hasn't worked out that way since they won't do it by eyeball but insist on part software solutions.

I have work that sold very well on Getty house collections, now with a third party, that is not in creative and yet one image that was frankly a filler (has never sold...do get the odd one) and sits in there doing nothing.

Default is browser use dependent as previously mentioned but first time log on should be creative.

Here is a typical example of what I mean. I searched something within my own field " oil worker",  in the creative search the result clearly show an editorial overtone, switching to the Relevant search, pics seem to be more tailor-made, more aimed at the ad and designer markets.

I thought it was the opposite?  since the word Creative indicates just that.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Archived