Rediscovering my DSLR

At the weekend I experimented with shooting a couple of sports events with my Fuji X-T1 and 55-200mm.

The archery was OK but I did not have the reach (I did not  have accreditation to go inside the competition area) but was poor to hopeless shooting powerboats. I used the morning practice sessions for just, to try the Fuji with the 55-200mm and with a MF Tamron 300mm f2.8 (and 1.4x & 2x converters). The latter works but I would have to work on my manual focus technique again, it also has significant purple fringing around highlights - a lot of that in the spray of powerboating. So it could not use the JPEG as is for news purposes (needs timely submission)

The Fuji 55-200mm hit rate (for focus) was about 60- 70% and very much less when clouds came over and it went dark and the lighting went flat. At the archery I noticed the lens hunting slowly for focus and I wondered whether it was the battery getting tired as I changed it about the same time. The following day at the powerboats the lens was its usual self until dark cloud came over and it became unusably slow for all but static subjects.

So I rediscovered the pleasure of working with a top end DSLR. My 1Ds3 (not snappiest Canon for AF) came out for the first time for months and my hit rate (for focus) was 90+% even when the light was poor;  I had forgotten just how snappy AF can be, it is making me think about my equipment strategy. The weight was not too much of an issue as I did not have to carry it very often, to and from the shore and occasionally to new positions but for travel it is too bulky and heavy. I am grateful the way the Fuji  has reinvigorated my photography.

I am now wondering whether to just use the Fuji for travel (we will be doing quite a bit next year) and for the more relaxed out and about stuff and undemanding news coverage, To that end I will try the 18-135mm and if I am happy with it I am thinking I might sell the 18-55 and 55-200 to downsize to the X-T1, 10-24mm and 18-135mm which will cover my travel needs (well 98%). Then I can rationalise my Canon kit and extend my lens coverage at the long end (probably with 100-400mm) and perhaps a new body. I would love a 1Dx but is expensive and even heavier/bigger than my 1Ds but has better high ISO performance (main issue with the 1Ds). The iminent new 7D may be the answer especially if it is APS-C equivalent of the FF 1DX.

Call me fickle if you wish  but I am not falling out of love with the Fuji, I just love both for different reasons. Is photographic polygamy permitted? ;)

I would look at the 6D, better noise control than the 5D3 - a bit small and plasticy but that can be quite refreshing after the 1DS series. Certainly will be looking at one myself when my 5D2 dies (moaning occasionally but still a lot of fight in the old girl yet).

I think certain cameras have their place in the workplace.....for NEX and Fujis, that would be either end of a row of books ;)

Come on you reds!!!

I would look at the 6D, better noise control than the 5D3 - a bit small and plasticy but that can be quite refreshing after the 1DS series. Certainly will be looking at one myself when my 5D2 dies (moaning occasionally but still a lot of fight in the old girl yet).

I think certain cameras have their place in the workplace.....for NEX and Fujis, that would be either end of a row of books ;)

Come on you reds!!!

Interesting idea but I would have to borrow a 6D to try seriously before I downsized. I suspect the AF may not be as good as the 1D range. Before I bought the Fuji I did consider one as my travel option but decided it did not make the weight and bulk savings I needed (the lenses especially).

With an engineering/ design background, conceptually, I believe mirrorless and EVF is the way to go. We are probably seeing the sailing ship effect in play with dslrs.

Come on you reds!!!

Interesting idea but I would have to borrow a 6D to try seriously before I downsized. I suspect the AF may not be as good as the 1d range.

I suspect for sport it's not a good match (better than that pun though). I was very impressed with shadow noise but I rarely use AF and didn't when I borrowed a 6D, so can't make any comment on that. Canon seem to be quite brilliant in recent times at undercutting their pro models with better pro-am models...long may it continue!!

Mind you I did get mixed up about zoom directions yesterday when I first switched from Fuji back to the Canon

Can't you reverse the direction of rotation on the Fuji?

Alan

You can for focus - I haven't looked for Zoom. It was only an issue for a few minutes,

No you can't - focal lengths are  engraved on the lens! It is a direct mechanical adjustment of the optical elements whereas focus is by wire.

I have a Canon 5D mark III and it's a great all rounder. I feel my images have just came on leaps and bounds in terms of quality. Going to be shooting Pro football in the coming weeks ( as in soccer) and I have every confidence that it'll do the trick. 

Come on you reds!!!

Them's fightin' words, Geoff. Bookends, humph!

I was surprised back in June when I took a while pile of shots of the North American Flyboard Championships with my little 650D and lower end 55-250mm lens. Almost every one was in sharp focus, and those guys are flying around. No way I could have done those on manual focus. Have sold one of those already.

Jill

You are a brave man Geoff, Mr Fuji and his faithful followers here will not be pleased, i can think of a few cameras that would make excellent book ends and boat anchors.

I sometimes have a day out with my Sony RX100, however like Martin P Wilson, i love my DSLR's, fast and accurate in most cases getting what i want, yep! i enjoy working with the DSLR system.

3 DSLR bodies, 16mm to 600mm L lenses, hard to beat!

Paul.

You are a brave man Geoff, Mr Fuji and his faithful followers here will not be pleased, i can think of a few cameras that would make excellent book ends and boat anchors.

I sometimes have a day out with my Sony RX100, however like Martin P Wilson, i love my DSLR's, fast and accurate in most cases getting what i want, yep! i enjoy working with the DSLR system.

Paul.

I was in danger of becoming a Fuji fan boy until I got my DSLR out at the weekend and realised I get in the zone when shooting sport - it is as close to a passion as I get. So I can't get rid of the dslr for a year or two yet.

Paul.

I've owned some book ends in my time....

I do wish I could find a compact that I can live with but sadly the search goes on. I know when I do assignments that turning up with a compact, no matter how good, will be totally counter-productive....."he turned up with an 'instamatic' " would be the conversation for a few clients......

I'm actually content in what I have, a tired old, few hundred thousand activations, 5D2 which gets me the images I need to have. I realised long ago that if I was creating crap images, it was me that was doing that and it wouldn't be solved by a newer camera.....

Martin P Wilson

My problem with lack of sales is not the cameras - it is the nut at the back

Bit like motor vehicles Martin,  it is said that the most important safety component of a vehicle is the nut behind the wheel  ;)

Paul.

PR when interfacing with a client is important. Bella figure, the Italians call it -- (making) a beautiful figure. Clients just love to see those large, long zooms and super teles, and big, heavy DSLRs.  8"x10" view anyone? On a more realistic work level, I can't picture shooting sports with a mini of any make or model.  :)

Come on you reds!!!

I had the Fuji XT1 and really liked it for many situations except red carpet events and lower light interior people photos. Didn't do well there and had a problem with locking focus even with the 56mm 1.2 lens.I own the Canon 6D and it's very good though low light I find that the Nikon D700 fared better for high iso in light. But the 6D has a lot of plusses and if you are looking for lighter full frame and DSLR snappy focus,it's decent.

L

PR when interfacing with a client is important. Bella figure, the Italians call it -- (making) a beautiful figure. Clients just love to see those large, long zooms and super teles, and big, heavy DSLRs.  8"x10" view anyone? On a more realistic work level, I can't picture shooting sports with a mini of any make or model.  :)

Agree. I brought my NEX 6 last year alongside the Canon on a biz shoot and it kept being referred to as 'that little camera.' Client was not pleased I brought that. First and last time. I don't have time to change the world or their perception on small technology.

L

I am right there with you Martin.  When I want to be discrete, I'm shooting with the Fuji cameras.  When I'm working through a newsworthy event, sometimes the big guns are required.

I went to a demonstration on Saturday.  I got there early and sat in my truck while everyone was arriving.  Then, I noticed someone taking my picture.  I got out of the truck with two 5D MK III bodies and a 24-70 and 70-200.  Nerves were calmed - they thought I was the police LOL.

I will be selling my X-Pro1 very soon.  I may do the same with the x100s but that will be a bit longer.  I'm getting a lot of use from the XT-1 lately (close to 4,000 actuations since April which is quite a few given the different cameras I have).

Problem with so many sports you need long, heavy lens and the competition is spread over many miles. I have photographed motorsport, equestrian especially cross-country, dinghy sailing, cross-country athletics and the photographer covers miles during a competition (especially if in between times they have to go back to a media centre to upload). It is physically demanding.

So I can certainly picture shooting sports with a mini camera like the X-T1 or NEX (or whatever they are called now). I used to use a Canon T90 which is about same size and weight as the X-T1 but the lenses were MF so lighter abd less bulky. Ah, but I was so much younger then. I'm older than that now.

Now when my son was playing basketball - in the warm (mostly) instead of on a cold touchline shooting soccer and rugby!

Archived