My Camera Won't Turn On

So at an agility dog show today to sell the collars, but brought along the camera of course. Went to take some shots and the camera refuses to turn on. Fully charged battery. Swapped out the battery and still no luck,

Did some internet searching (camera is a Canon 650D or T4i) and it seems there is something in the battery door that has to connect to a micro switch. I see the little tab that sticks out, but no matter how well the door to the battery is closed, nothing. The red light at the bottom right came on once for about 1/2 a second, and thats it. And I wanted to do a while pile of dragon boating shots next weekend.

Has anyone else had this kind of issue with a Canon (or anything else)? I know I am looking at taking it in (thank God my son bought the extended warranty), but I will be cameraless for awhile AHHHHH!

Jill

Does it do the same thing without a lens? Without a memory card?

You probably know that in the past (2013 or so) there has been a firmware problem causing lock-ups and freezes of this type of camera.

You could rent one.

(Rental price at lensrentals here)

I would buy a second one, maybe from someone who upgraded, and keep this one (after surgery) as the back up.

The first though of course is: what no back up? But I often travel without back-up because of carry-on restrictions or just too much hassle. I do bring along at least one RX100 though. So you could try a compact too, there's been a lot of talk about all sorts of compacts on this forum ;-)

My Sony Nex3 was $250 2.5 years ago. They must give them away for free by now. ;-)

wim

Does it do the same thing without a lens? Without a memory card?

You probably know that in the past (2013 or so) there has been a firmware problem causing lock-ups and freezes of this type of camera.

You could rent one.

(Rental price at lensrentals here)

I would buy a second one, maybe from someone who upgraded, and keep this one (after surgery) as the back up.

The first though of course is: what no back up? But I often travel without back-up because of carry-on restrictions or just too much hassle. I do bring along at least one RX100 though. So you could try a compact too, there's been a lot of talk about all sorts of compacts on this forum ;-)

My Sony Nex3 was $250 2.5 years ago. They must give them away for free by now. ;-)

wim

Well I figured it out. I sat there staring into the battery chamber and realized there were only 3 contacts instead of 4 at the bottom of the chamber where the battery connects.

Now all I have to do is find out how big a pain it is to replace a contact, or will it end up being some huge rigamarole.

Another camera just isn't in my budget. Would love to carry two cameras so I'm not switching out lenses all the time. Maybe when my son tires of his 7D I can get that off of him for cheap.

Jill

Jill,  be very sure that there is a missing contact and it is not part of the design before playing around with the problem,  perhaps a member here with a Canon 650D can have a look at theirs and advice if there is a contact or not.

If it is a battery contact problem it sounds like a quick fix by a technician,  it should not cost to much.

Paul.

Jill,  be very sure that there is a missing contact and it is not part of the design before playing around with the problem,  perhaps a member here with a Canon 650D can have a look at theirs and advice if there is a contact or not.

If it is a battery contact problem it sounds like a quick fix by a technician,  it should not cost to much.

Paul.

Good advice, my Fuji battery has 4 contacts but there are only 2 in the camera battery compartment! The other two seem to be for the charger which does have 4 contacts.

Jill, it maybe worth checking that the tab that is sticking out is complete. My wifey has an Olympus and this would not work….a "check card door" error message kept coming up.When I looked at it, I could see that the top third of the tab was missing and so the tab was no longer long enough to push in the sensor switch when the door was closed. I put a tiny piece of a matchstick into the hole and closed the card door and it worked.

I will be calling the store where it was purchased later today to see if that is the problem. The batteries have 4 contact points and the charger has 4 contact points. So I am assuming there are supposed to be 4 in the camera. There is one, then a space, then 2 more. I'm sure the store will let me know. Son is lending me his 7D for next weekend. I feel naked today with no camera. Came across about 15 wild turkeys just sauntering around the road this morning. Would have been great shots, but no camera.

Martyn, on 31 Aug 2014 - 05:19 AM, said:

"Jill, it maybe worth checking that the tab that is sticking out is complete. My wifey has an Olympus and this would not work….a "check card door" error message kept coming up.When I looked at it, I could see that the top third of the tab was missing and so the tab was no longer long enough to push in the sensor switch when the door was closed. I put a tiny piece of a matchstick into the hole and closed the card door and it worked."

I will try that tonight if it isn't the contact points.

Jill,

Is your son aware that it may be along time before he sees his 7D again :D,  I have 2 high end pro cameras plus the 7D, i find myself shooting mostly with the 7D ( great camera ) don't get me wrong i am not saying your 650D is not a good camera,  apart from the fact that it won't start up ;), sorry just a bit of fun, i am sure you are smiling too!,  again i am sure it is a quick and not so expensive fix.

Have fun with the 7D and look forward to getting your more familiar 650D fixed.

Paul.

On my one remaining Canon DSLR (an SL1), the battery and the charger both have four contact points, but the camera only has three

Yes, I just talked to the store and they told me it is only supposed to have 3 contact points. So when I get home I will try the bit of matchstick option. If it works, then at least I know what the problem is and I can send it off to be fixed.

Yes, my son might have to wait to see his 7D again  :D

I have been quite happy with the 650D. As mostly a hobbyist, it does me well, but would love to step up a notch in a year or so. If I switch cameras on my son, maybe he won't notice.  ;)

Jill

Did you try googling this? There are several possible solutions that range from removing batteries to making sure some tab is lined up properly with the battery.
https://www.google.com/search?q=canon+650+D+won%27t+turn+on&oq=canon+650+D+won%27t+turn+on&aqs=chrome..69i57j0.8039j0j4&sourceid=chrome&es_sm=119&ie=UTF-8

Jill, it maybe worth checking that the tab that is sticking out is complete. My wifey has an Olympus and this would not work….a "check card door" error message kept coming up.When I looked at it, I could see that the top third of the tab was missing and so the tab was no longer long enough to push in the sensor switch when the door was closed. I put a tiny piece of a matchstick into the hole and closed the card door and it worked.

Martyn, you are a genius! I used a small piece of cardboard from a writing pad. Worked a charm. If I could give you 100 greenies I would, but you'll have to settle for one..  :D

Now I can take 2 cameras to the dragon boat races.

Jill

I'm sorry to hear that a minor fault left you without a clicky-box, Jill.

One of my beloved wife's many 'tsk-tsk' moments is when I wrap myself round something that she thinks I no longer need, want, or have a use for and smilingly suggests I set whatever it is free. Her eyes roll when I lovingly fondle it whispering, 'My preshush, you're safe with me', and I throw a tantrum a 5 year old girl would be jealous of.

'Hi my name is Krisken and I'm a hoarder'.

Present camera, a Nikon D90, goes down? Reach for the cupboard and drag out the D40, charge the battery, swap the lenses, all auto focus, and I'm still good to go. D40 dumps? Into the same cupboard grab the Fuji 9600, same procedure and I'm still good.

It's not because I'm a clear headed, professionally focused, business type individual that I have two back-up cameras, it's because I'm reluctant to let go of working equipment that has served me well.

Anywho, your son obviously doesn't need the camera he is using, and Mommy should point that out and suggest he pass it to her and in exchange she will buy him one of those excellent, disposable ones whenever he feels the urge to snap something...This point of view should be put across at every opportunity until he wilts under the constant Mommy barrage of reasonableness and untouchable logic. :-D

Archived