keyword question

My first 4 images passed QC and I have been accepted.  I am filling in the keywords and was wondering if you need to put a comma between the keywords.   I have found this is generally necessary but do not know the Alamy procedure and found nothing mentioned in the documentation.

Also, this is my first time doing this on Alamy and I was wondering what I was missing in terms of making the images go live after I have finished this process.  I do not see any button or tab to click on once I have this all completed.  Again, go easy. I am a newb with Alamy.  I have gone over the information that is online and have not seen answers to these specific questions. 

You will see them in Images - ready in the drop down menu at the top of the page. If you haven't completed everything they will be under Images - not ready. They will automatically go on sale.

Paulette

Thank you.  Geeze how could I have missed that.  I saw that page and just plain missed the part about separating keywords with spaces only.   Part of this is most of the other entities I deal with require you use commas. 

Thanks for the replies!

My first 4 images passed QC and I have been accepted.  I am filling in the keywords and was wondering if you need to put a comma between the keywords.   I have found this is generally necessary but do not know the Alamy procedure and found nothing mentioned in the documentation.

Also, this is my first time doing this on Alamy and I was wondering what I was missing in terms of making the images go live after I have finished this process.  I do not see any button or tab to click on once I have this all completed.  Again, go easy. I am a newb with Alamy.  I have gone over the information that is online and have not seen answers to these specific questions. 

Great news!  I have just uploaded my first 4.  How long did you wait for QC, if I may ask?

With your trial upload of four images Alamy come back to you usually within 24 hours wether it is a pass or fail.

When I first started I think my first two or three uploads were rejected and they let me know very quickly.

Once you have passed QC the first time subsequent uploads will be passed again generally within 24 hours BUT if it is a fail you will not hear about which image/s failed for 28 working days.

Allan

With your trial upload of four images Alamy come back to you usually within 24 hours wether it is a pass or fail.

When I first started I think my first two or three uploads were rejected and they let me know very quickly.

Once you have passed QC the first time subsequent uploads will be passed again generally within 24 hours BUT if it is a fail you will not hear about which image/s failed for 28 working days.

Allan

Thanks for that Allan. 

I have just received the email telling me they have passed.  Now for the keywording!

Ian

Allan

Thanks for that Allan. 

I have just received the email telling me they have passed.  Now for the keywording!

Ian

Well done on your pass.

Just a little rider to my post.  If you do have an upload batch fail it is not worth uploading further batches until you receive the failure notice from Alamy as all subsequent uploads are deemed failures by Alamy too.

Allan

Allan

Thanks for that Allan. 

Ian

Well done on your pass.

Just a little rider to my post.  If you do have an upload batch fail it is not worth uploading further batches until you receive the failure notice from Alamy as all subsequent uploads are deemed failures by Alamy too.

Allan

Great tip, Allan. Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

Allan

Thanks for that Allan. 

Ian

Well done on your pass.

Allan

Great tip, Allan. Thanks

I am a bit curious regarding permissions on pictures. I had a look at your first submissions Ian and notice that you've restricted what your images can be used for (particularly low-res web use etc.). Is there a rationale behind this? I just assumed that mine should be available for everything but I may be missing a trick.

I'm also not sure that I understand the key wording (sorry for using you as an example), do keywords in quotes remain as phrases and is there any point in doing that?  Plus I note that you have put, for example, "Paddy, Power" in quotes (with the comma), do we know how "inteligent" Alamy's search algorithm is and whether things like that make any difference?

I'm also not sure that I understand the key wording (sorry for using you as an example), do keywords in quotes remain as phrases and is there any point in doing that?  Plus I note that you have put, for example, "Paddy, Power" in quotes (with the comma), do we know how "inteligent" Alamy's search algorithm is and whether things like that make any difference?

Many years ago, Alamy promised us that the use of inverted commas: " xxx " , and square brackets: [ xxx ] would be incorporated into the keywording processes, thereby allowing contributors to determine phrases etc. However, it has never been instigated. Some of us however do sometimes still keyword thus, on the (increasingly) slim chance Alamy will bring it in. Of course, it may very well prove to be a complete waste of the 0.09 seconds per image it takes . . .

<EDIT> typo

dd

oh . . . I forgot to mention . . . when you look at someone's images, you'll see their keywords with commas. Alamy add the commas, you should not (as each one uses up one of the allocated number of characters).

dd

oh . . . I forgot to mention . . . when you look at someone's images, you'll see their keywords with commas. Alamy add the commas, you should not (as each one uses up one of the allocated number of characters).

dd

Ahhhh... thanks. I've actually been using semicolons without spaces, which seems to work, and doesn't up additional characters. Sounds as though lots of things that aren't an alpha numeric probably work.

Your earlier comment also clears up a lot. I wonder why they don't have a more intelligent search engine? With modern computing power it can't be that much of a challenge, although I suppose that the resulting re-keywording might be an issue.

dd

Ahhhh... thanks. I've actually been using semicolons without spaces, which seems to work, and doesn't up additional characters. Sounds as though lots of things that aren't an alpha numeric probably work.

Your earlier comment also clears up a lot. I wonder why they don't have a more intelligent search engine? With modern computing power it can't be that much of a challenge, although I suppose that the resulting re-keywording might be an issue.

Using semi-colons with no spaces uses up exactly the same number of characters as simply using spaces.

dd

Allan

Thanks for that Allan. 

Ian

Well done on your pass.

Allan

Great tip, Allan. Thanks

I am a bit curious regarding permissions on pictures. I had a look at your first submissions Ian and notice that you've restricted what your images can be used for (particularly low-res web use etc.). Is there a rationale behind this? I just assumed that mine should be available for everything but I may be missing a trick.

Hi,

I see what you mean with regards to rights.  I was under the, perhaps mistaken, impression that if the image contained people or property without releases, then the rights had to be RM for editorial use only, which is what I did.  Can someone confirm that, or correct me if I'm wrong?  I have some more images to keyword and manage, so I'd be really grateful for a reply to this.

As regards to the quotation marks, in the keywording advice I found this;

Exact match
Tells the search engine to only find results where the search terms are an exact match for the keywords.
SyntaxDouble quotation marks “ ”.

Example

“Golden Gate Bridge”.OutcomeThis image is only found for searches where the phrase in double quotes is an exact match for the customer search terms, so in this example this image will not be found for a search for ‘Gate’.

Benefit

When customers search for proper names ‘John Smith’ ‘Statue of Liberty’ ‘The World Cup Final’ images keyworded in this way will be found earlier in the search results.

I wanted the image to turn up if someone searched for Paddy Power, but not paddy field or power broker.  Alamy put the comma in between Paddy and Power, which seems a little odd.  It does come up in Paddy Power searches (I just checked).

Now we're talking about something totally different. If you search using quotation marks, you will get the phrase only in your results . . . regardless of whether the keywords have quotation marks or not. So adding quotation marks in your keywords is superfluous (until Alamy instigate their promise of yesteryear).

In your example, your image will come up if I just search for "paddy" . . . or "power" . . . and of course, it will also come up in searches for "paddy power", but that has naught to do with your use of quotation marks in the keywords. Trust me on this :)

dd

I see what you mean with regards to rights. I was under the, perhaps mistaken, impression that if the image contained people or property without releases, then the rights had to be RM for editorial use only, which is what I did. Can someone confirm that, or correct me if I'm wrong? I have some more images to keyword and manage, so I'd be really grateful for a reply to this.

Many here, myself included, take the view that the buyer will make the decision regards how the image will be used. My favourite example is an image I submitted somewhere else a few years ago. It was unreleased photo of a young Balinese dancer. His face was obvious. Had I somehow restricted its use to editorial, I would not have gained the four figure sum I received (after commission) for the commercial use the buyer put it to. In other words, I let the buyer decide if they're going to restrict its use--as long as you clearly state you have no release for the image of course.

dd

I see what you mean with regards to rights. I was under the, perhaps mistaken, impression that if the image contained people or property without releases, then the rights had to be RM for editorial use only, which is what I did. Can someone confirm that, or correct me if I'm wrong? I have some more images to keyword and manage, so I'd be really grateful for a reply to this.

Many here, myself included, take the view that the buyer will make the decision regards how the image will be used. My favourite example is an image I submitted somewhere else a few years ago. It was unreleased photo of a young Balinese dancer. His face was obvious. Had I somehow restricted its use to editorial, I would not have gained the four figure sum I received (after commission) for the commercial use the buyer put it to. In other words, I let the buyer decide if they're going to restrict its use--as long as you clearly state you have no release for the image of course.

dd

I wonder if this is jurisdiction by jurisdiction... I know that in France you really have to ask people before you photograph them - I remember being asked if someone could photograph my car, in a situation where they really didn't need to bother (I was a fair walk away).  I've taken the user's decision approach as that seems to be what most other people do.  But if that's the case, is there any point to the "Editorial Only" category?

If you have to ask for and receive permission to photograph someone in France, I wouldn't do so without that permission. I would think it presumptive and affectedly superior to do otherwise. And with that under my belt, I continue to leave it up to the buyer :-)

<edit> typo

<edit2> . . . and no, I don't think there's any point to the "Editorial Only" category, but others certainly do.

dd

Now we're talking about something totally different. If you search using quotation marks, you will get the phrase only in your results . . . regardless of whether the keywords have quotation marks or not. So adding quotation marks in your keywords is superfluous (until Alamy instigate their promise of yesteryear).

In your example, your image will come up if I just search for "paddy" . . . or "power" . . . and of course, it will also come up in searches for "paddy power", but that has naught to do with your use of quotation marks in the keywords. Trust me on this :)

dd

Sorry. I didn't trust you. I just checked, and you are quite correct. I'll know better next time!

Thanks for the tip.

dd

Well that's made my mind up. Cheers. I'll buy you a drink with my first sale!

Around subject. Does it make any difference if I do all image data before or after uploading? I usually prepare IPTC and upload ready files. Now I have a lot of images which I want to upload first and do all keywording later. Any reason why not to do this? What file does client get? Empty or full of data?

I do all keywording on every each file on my comp. however. All files will be ready with IPTC data, but after upload to Alamy this time. So the question is, if it makes any difference for clients/ Alamy?

I wonder if client gets IPTC data with file, if he needs that, if it makes any change... I don't think so, but nice to know :)

All the case is caused that sometimes I don't have my comp near but I can work with internet only (out of home). Good moment to do all keywording with all crazy flowers and insects or even places ID ;) Searching for perfect keywords takes time.

Archived