Outsourcing Keywording Process

Hi there!

I have started a couple of months ago and am still testing the waters at Alamy. As the keywording process here is so very tiresome and time consuming my portfolio is still very small. I am thinking about outsorcing the keywording process and would highly appreciate if anyone could share his or her experiences and recommend a keywording service provider.

As I have quite a few accepted images that still need to be keyworded it would be perfect if there was a service provider that could keyword these images too.

Cheers,

Andreas

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone?

I reckon Alamy does list some keywording services here: www.alamy.com/contributors/resources/default.asp

I would be grateful for reports of people who have used these services.

Using a key wording service is a rank killer on Alamy. Too many use controlled vocabs and stuff the fields full of tenuous words.

I outsource some work for client work but would never consider any key wording for Alamy.

Using a key wording service is a rank killer on Alamy. Too many use controlled vocabs and stuff the fields full of tenuous words.

Geoff,  i agree with you, however there is a broker from Germany supplying to Alamy with many tenuous words,  i find their images are always seen on the 1st pages,  in their defence they have well over 667,000 images on Alamy at last count.

I use  image related keywords and find it hard to be on the 1st page.  then i only have 8,700 images.

Still find it hard to understand how the Alamy system works.

Paul.

Geoff,  i agree with you, however there is a broker from Germany supplying to Alamy with many tenuous words,  i find their images are always seen on the 1st pages,  in their defence they have well over 667,000 images on Alamy at last count.

I use  image related keywords and find it hard to be on the 1st page.  then i only have 8,700 images.

Still find it hard to understand how the Alamy system works.

Paul.

Paul,

Agencies generally will have higher ranks due to much more highly edited collections, they can therefore go with their 'base' keywording. What they lose in CTR, they will gain with sales per image ratios...at least that's what I see from the commercial collections. They keyword for the majors and seem to let Alamy have that set - not enough juice here to normally merit a separate set

Is it worth modifying key wording during world events? I'm thinking of a situation such as the apparent Russian invasion of the Ukraine - perhaps adding "invasion" and "Ukraine" to a picture of a suitable Russian tank (no expression of a political view intended). 

Is it worth modifying key wording during world events? I'm thinking of a situation such as the apparent Russian invasion of the Ukraine - perhaps adding "invasion" and "Ukraine" to a picture of a suitable Russian tank (no expression of a political view intended). 

I wouldn't, where do you stop?. There are many conflicts going on at the moment which would involve Russian tanks...why not add Syria, IS, Iraq et al to keywords. Much more suitable images will be found in Alamy news feed, spamming won't help you.

Hmmm... quote not working. Anyway, point taken re constant changes and multiple venues. Perhaps only where there is an on-going connection that might be considered a missed keyword category anyway.  Mind you easy for someone with only 60 images!

• 2 months later...

Thanks for the mention Paulstw. There are many reasons why clients outsource keywording to us. For Alamy photographers, we find it's largely due to the technicalities of the process and rather 'unique' methodology. We have a lot of experience working with photogrpahers who want to maximise their investment, by offering guidance on the most commercially viable images within their collection, and ensuring greater visibility to these. Depending on whether your work is mainly editorial or creative, there needs to be a conversation about your target market and the language and search habits of your key buyers, in order to define the best keyworidng strategy. We also manage a number of outsurcing projects for global stock agencies processing thousands of assets (video and stills) a month. We're always happy to have a chat, establish your aims/objectives, and discuss how keywording can help you achieve improved sales. If you'd like more info then by all means please visit http://www.clemency.co.uk or email clemency@clemency.co.uk

Thanks for the mention Paulstw. There are many reasons why clients outsource keywording to us. For Alamy photographers, we find it's largely due to the technicalities of the process and rather 'unique' methodology. We have a lot of experience working with photogrpahers who want to maximise their investment, by offering guidance on the most commercially viable images within their collection, and ensuring greater visibility to these. Depending on whether your work is mainly editorial or creative, there needs to be a conversation about your target market and the language and search habits of your key buyers, in order to define the best keyworidng strategy. We also manage a number of outsurcing projects for global stock agencies processing thousands of assets (video and stills) a month. We're always happy to have a chat, establish your aims/objectives, and discuss how keywording can help you achieve improved sales. If you'd like more info then by all means please visit http://www.clemency.co.uk or email clemency@clemency.co.uk

Jesus H Christ! You claim that 'clients outsource key wording to us' ................. Why would they do that when there are numerous spelling mistakes in your comment! You must be joking.

Jesus H Christ! You claim that 'clients outsource key wording to us' ................. Why would they do that when there are numerous spelling mistakes in your comment! You must be joking.

There are three spelling errors in my post, not numerous ones. I'm surprised at your inappropriate and disproportionate response ManWay. We feel the Forum is here to offer help and support, clearly you have another agenda, which is a shame.

Archived