August Challenge - Bridges

kmerr

Hi everyone, first of all sorry for my english  ;)

Thanks to all for the votes to my photo of the Manarola village. Great images from everyone who took part at the challenge.

The theme for the August challenge is 'Bridges'.

The rules are always the same, then no more than three photos per person, you must be the owner of the pictures and the closing date is 31st August. I'll pick the top 8 images and then the choice will be yours.

Here are two of mine:

DXC0WD.jpg

Bridge in rione Garbatella in Rome, Italy

DFJX3J.jpg

Ponte Fabricio in Rome, Italy

Thanks again!

Alessandro

My motley collection.

CXCA5C.jpg

Trinity Bridge and punts on river Cam Cambridge England

C4RHKN.jpg

The Mathematical Bridge Queens college Cambridge

B941CT.jpg

Cycle and footbridge Milton Cambridge

I do have images of ships bridges but do not think they are what kmerr might be thinking of when he set this comp up.

Allan

Ah, Ponte Fabricio . . . one of my three favorite bridges that cross the Tiber. I lived in Trastevere just behind the fountain on Via Benedetta, across the lovely Ponte Sisto. When last I was in Rome in 2008, Ponte Sisto had become a mini slum. I hope that situation has been corrected. 

When I lived in Rome in the '60s, the Ponte Sisto had iron gates on top. They looked nice, delicate, but more recently the bridge has been restored to its original design. Oh, the third bridge? Ponte Sant'Angelo, of course. Makes me sad that I don't enter these competitions. 

Edo, quasi romano  :)

Ah, Ponte Fabricio . . . one of my three favorite bridges that cross the Tiber. I lived in Trastevere just behind the fountain on Via Benedetta, across the lovely Ponte Sisto. When last I was in Rome in 2008, Ponte Sisto had become a mini slum. I hope that situation has been corrected. 

When I lived in Rome in the '60s, the Ponte Sisto had iron gates on top. They looked nice, delicate, but more recently the bridge has been restored to its original design. Oh, the third bridge? Ponte Sant'Angelo, of course. Makes me sad that I don't enter these competitions. 

Go for it, Ed. I wouldn't really call this a competition, more of another way to procrastinate (in my case, anyway).

It's also fascinating and instructive to see what others have hidden in their collections

It will be tough to beat Ann's angelic bridge shot! Really nice Ann!  So I am putting in one tongue-in-cheek shot seniors playing bridge, just for yucks.

A896GN.jpg

Couple by the Natural Bridge on Aruba (which has sadly fallen)

A2JH1R.jpg

Memorial Bridge in Washington DC

A8AMHT.jpg

Michael, thank you, and yet more and more lovely photos!

Along thinking-outside-the-box approach of your happy bridge players - I figure it's just a matter of time until someone posts image of a bridge/removable partial dentures. :D

Shadow of Maria Pia Bridge over River Douro, Porto. Engineer was Gustav Eiffel

EJ240150.jpg

Mmm. I love that one!

This competition has been open less than half a day and already there are too many winners.

Alan

I'll give it a go this month...!

Probably one of the most photographed bridges in Britain - Sligachan, Isle of Skye

DKMNDK.jpg

Another one from Scotland - Kylesku, Sutherland

BNX624.jpg

Finally, a minimalist bridge in New Zealand - Wangapeka Track, South Island

B5W6TH.jpg

Undulating orange superstructure of the Rails to Trails pedestrian and bike bridge across SW 13th Street at intersection with Archer Road adjacent to the University of Florida campus. 

DB00G2.jpg

Underside of the old Seacoast railroad trestle converted to a Rails to Trails pedestrian and bike bridge.

DBXKAG.jpg

Grande Ed, fantastico  :)  

Hmm, Lisa's question has made me consider I might be the only person who sees the wood structure in my entry as a possible bridge.

If so, well.... I'll cross that pier when I get to it :)

Can it be bridge or pier, or strictly bridges only? 

A pier as a bridge? Hmm. Lisa, me thinks that is a bridge too far. So you have nice image of a pier? But do you have any good pictures of peers? (About now Alessandro is wishing he had studied Russian instead of English.)

Archived