This may have been covered before,  if so Sorry' for boring you!

I have noticed when using LR default sharpening 25 the final image has some kind of noise texture,  especially noticeable in the sky.

Can anybody recommend LR sharpening settings where it sharpens without what i call noise texture.

Alamy has passed some of these images,  however i think it must be on the edge of a fail.

Comments will be welcomed.

Paul.

There's no problem with the default settings in either LR or PS. Been using them for every image I have sent to any and every agency. The default settings (as a capture sharpen) will not cause a fail....they might show up other issues more such as poor exposure/poor sensor/use of NEX camera ( ;) )

What ISO are you using when you get this "noise texture" in the sky, Paul?

Hi Ed,   ISO 400 on a full frame Canon 1Ds MkIII.  

As said before QC has passed these images so they cannot be to bad, the upside is there are no artifacts or halos.

Just made a few quick snaps,  processed in LR sharpness 15,  much less noise texture, perhaps a little less sharp.

Paul.

To avoid sharpening the sky, for example, I use "Masking" (press "alt" or "opt" key, to see exactly where sharpening is applied)

A good tip from Colin,  i tried this at a masking setting of 30, it certainly takes away some of that textured noise look,  not sure how far masking can be pushed before degrading the image though.

Thanks for your tip Colin!

Paul.

To avoid sharpening the sky, for example, I use "Masking" (press "alt" or "opt" key, to see exactly where sharpening is applied)

A good tip from Colin,  i tried this at a masking setting of 30, it certainly takes away some of that textured noise look,  not sure how far masking can be pushed before degrading the image though.

Thanks for your tip Colin!

Paul.

You can push it as far as you like. It is not degrading the image, it only limits the areas, where sharpening is applied. If you want to sharpen edges only, you can do that, if you like.

What ISO are you using when you get this "noise texture" in the sky, Paul?

Hi Ed,   ISO 400 on a full frame Canon 1Ds MkIII.  

As said before QC has passed these images so they cannot be to bad, the upside is there are no artifacts or halos.

Just made a few quick snaps,  processed in LR sharpness 15,  much less noise texture, perhaps a little less sharp.

Paul.

Don't know nuttin' about Canons, but I was having funky sky trouble with my RX10 at ISO400 a few months ago. Now, when the sky is prominent, I shoot at ISO125.

I have been playing around with LR sharpening sliders as recommended by Colin,  and yes overall image sharpness is good without that noise texture look in the  sky and some backgrounds.

Thanks Colin and everybody for your input.

Paul.

Archived