Versatile Fuji X-T1 my first 10,000 photographs.

Great stuff, Mark. Many thanks for this. I am now about 70% in favour of ditching my 5D2 kit for an X-T1 before long. I'm waiting to see the price of the new 16-55 when it appears, but I'm expecting this to be astronomical and so out of the question. If Sigma deliver on their plan to supply X-mount lenses, and if they should happen to produce something like a 16-75, I would jump ship tomorrow.

Alan

Mark, I am at one with you on the X-T1. The only reason I have not sold my Canon kit is that I do shoot sport. However I have set myself a project to have a serious go at sport with the Fuji over the next few weeks as I suspect it is at least as capable as the last generation of AF film cameras with which I shot sport successfully. Indeed I shot sport professionally with manual everything, including film wind, for many years. The main thing I will miss is a lens longer than 300mm equivalent so I am a bit miffed that the superzoom seems to have moved from late 2014 to late 2015 in the lens roadmap.

I suspect a refinement of technique should prove effective in using mirrorless for action work. I will blog the results in due course.

Just another thought, sports lenses can now be lighter as there is less need for such large apertures now we have fully usable ISO 1600+ sensors. That will also help this aging body!

I'm at about 9,000 images on mine.  The last model shoot I decided to take out the 5D MK III....and I did the same thing with the last event I covered.

One thing that has me scratching my head is I happened to notice that on 16gb cards, I can get more images recorded on the cards out of the 5D MK III than I can out of the Fuji....the most logical explanation I can think of is despite the smaller image pixel size, the Fuji images store more information than the larger pixel sized images from the Canon....It's a bit strange and I need to look into it sometime simply to satisfy my curiousity.

I'm not completely sold on Fuji yet though....still waiting on those faster zoom lenses (waiting patiently).

Hi all

Should anyone be interested I have made a blog post about my first 10,000 photographs made using the fuji X-T1

http://markbaigent.co.uk/cms/fuji-xt1-10000/

Mark, what a wonderful review.  I would love it if you went over to the Fuji X forum and posted this review.  A lot of Xers would enjoy it.  I'm loving my X-T1, with 10-24, 18-55, 56mm.  The 18-135 is shipping to me today.

Betty

Betty

Excellent review from a pro. I like the idea of using the 4way switches to move focus point.

Allan

PS: I have not put as many images through my X-T1, still in the early stages and getting used to it.

Thanks for the review - very interesting.  I got the X-T1 in late April and really love it but I haven't used it as much as you.  I'm still preferring the 5Diii for studio work but use the Fuji for most hand held photography.  I'd be interested to know what software you are using for processing please.

Pearl

Hi all

Should anyone be interested I have made a blog post about my first 10,000 photographs made using the fuji X-T1

Mark, what a wonderful review.  I would love it if you went over to the Fuji X forum and posted this review.  A lot of Xers would enjoy it.  I'm loving my X-T1, with 10-24, 18-55, 56mm.  The 18-135 is shipping to me today.

Betty

Betty

Hi Betty I have just received the £250 voucher today for the 18-135 lens so I'm off to my friendly local camera shop tomorrow to se if they have it in.

I have to go to town tomorrow anyway so will call in and have a natter rather than phone.

Allan

Hi all

Betty

Betty

Hi Betty I have just received the £250 voucher today for the 18-135 lens so I'm off to my friendly local camera shop tomorrow to se if they have it in.

I have to go to town tomorrow anyway so will call in and have a natter rather than phone.

Allan

Me too, Allan. I am really torn as I know I will want the fast and super zooms in due course. Not keen on f5.6 at the long end but I like the range although I would have preferred a tad wider even at cost of some of the long end.

But it would be a good as a walkaround lens and for travel. Would cover 98% of that stuff for me.

Hi all

Betty

Betty

Allan

Is it a voucher to take in store or money back offer? i.e. send in receipt etc to Fuji for cash back.

Thanks for the review - very interesting.  I got the X-T1 in late April and really love it but I haven't used it as much as you.  I'm still preferring the 5Diii for studio work but use the Fuji for most hand held photography.  I'd be interested to know what software you are using for processing please.

Pearl

Pearl,

I've been using my Nikon D800 for my paying job of shooting jewelry.  I've only just recently started trying the X-T1, and once I figured out how to use the 18-55mm lens with the help of the Fuji X forum, I'm doing very well with it.  I'd already tried the 56mm and it worked out perfectly.  All the images are sharp, the color is good, it shoots purple better than the 800.  So I've got two lenses that work in the studio under softbox lights, and I'm happy.

The 16mp is a bit of a drawback, I would much prefer 24, but I found after I cropped to square the images were 2300-2700 px each side.  Which are big enough. But I've changed my shooting style recently because I'm now shooting the client's high dollar stuff and he wants it to stand out from the rest.  I'm shooting it on silk, picking a color in the jewelry with the color picker and putting a thin frame around the image of that color.  In order to have consistency, I want the images to be 3000 px each side, and I can then put a 50 px frame around it.  If I tried that with different size images, I'd never figure out how many pixels to use for the frame so they'd all look the same!  I'm not that advanced in math or Photoshop.  I'm upsizing and the images are still very sharp, so I'm happy.

Try your X-T1in studio.  You just might be surprised at what it can do.  My jewelry images are sharper with the Fuji.  :)

Hi all

Betty

Betty

Allan

Is it a voucher to take in store or money back offer? i.e. send in receipt etc to Fuji for cash back.

Seems to be take in copy of original invoice/ receipt and the voucher, pay the difference for the lens. Looks as though you may have to go to the dealer who supplied your X-T1.

Hi all

Betty

Betty

Allan

Seems to be take in copy of original invoice/ receipt and the voucher, pay the difference for the lens. Looks as though you may have to go to the dealer who supplied your X-T1.

hummm.... doesn't really work when you pre-order over the internet. I may have to call Fuji to see what the score is. If I find anything out I'll post back!

Hi all

Betty

Betty

Allan

Sorry to be so long replying.

Fuji email a voucher for you to print out. Take printout plus receipt for camera purchase into store when buying lens.

Martin I would have preferred 16-100mm with min at long end of f4.

Allan

Hi all

Betty

Betty

Allan

Sorry to be so long replying.

Fuji email a voucher for you to print out. Take printout plus receipt for camera purchase into store when buying lens.

Martin I would have preferred 16-100mm with min at long end of f4.

Allan

Cheers Alan..... thinking on this and they must do a cash back option (provide them with proof of lens/camera purchase). Otherwise you wouldn't be able to get the discount for online purchases.

The 16mp is a bit of a drawback, I would much prefer 24, 

X-T2 Incarnation perhaps?

Allan

I suspect so, hopefully with faster AF and similar or even better high ISO performance; but not until I have saved up enough to buy it and the superzoom. So in the meantime I need the X-T1 to earn its keep ;) Time to get down to some serious marketing.

Ok.... I've managed to resolve the issue regarding the 18-135 voucher.

1. The voucher is to be used with the retailer you bought the X-T1 from originally.

2. They provide a code for the retailer to deduct the £250 from the sale.

Now... I bought my camera from Wex UK but I placed my pre-order with Clifton Cameras, this was down to the fact they offered a trade in for my 18-55..... and.... That I hadn't realised point 1. above  :unsure:  :rolleyes: Add to the mix the need of this lens for an up and coming event and I was a little concerned. 

Anyway, I traded my lens in a few weeks back now so I was committed to Clifton which meant I was going to lose out on the £250. So, I contacted Fuji UK customer service, explained everything and they came back to me the same day and confirmed they would honour the discount given my scenario. Not only that, the Fuji Rep contacted Clifton Cameras to sort out the code for them. 

To say I'm very happy with both Fuji and Clifton Cameras would be an understatement!

Allen, did you get your lens, yet?  Mine comes tomorrow, and a UV & circular polarizer comes Saturday.  Over in the Fuji-X forum, there were some pictures posted with it.  Beautiful!  The guy also took some insect images with it, and even with cropping, the detail is amazing.

Allen, did you get your lens, yet?  Mine comes tomorrow, and a UV & circular polarizer comes Saturday.  Over in the Fuji-X forum, there were some pictures posted with it.  Beautiful!  The guy also took some insect images with it, and even with cropping, the detail is amazing.

No Betty they did not have it in stock but have ordered it for me along with the new extended eyecup. Didn't let them know that I have the discount voucher yet and will get them to include filter for free then present the voucher. :)

Will check out those images thanks.

Allan

Ok.... I've managed to resolve the issue regarding the 18-135 voucher.

1. The voucher is to be used with the retailer you bought the X-T1 from originally.

2. They provide a code for the retailer to deduct the £250 from the sale.

Now... I bought my camera from Wex UK but I placed my pre-order with Clifton Cameras, this was down to the fact they offered a trade in for my 18-55..... and.... That I hadn't realised point 1. above  :unsure:  :rolleyes: Add to the mix the need of this lens for an up and coming event and I was a little concerned. 

Anyway, I traded my lens in a few weeks back now so I was committed to Clifton which meant I was going to lose out on the £250. So, I contacted Fuji UK customer service, explained everything and they came back to me the same day and confirmed they would honour the discount given my scenario. Not only that, the Fuji Rep contacted Clifton Cameras to sort out the code for them. 

To say I'm very happy with both Fuji and Clifton Cameras would be an understatement!

Excellent service and pleased to hear it has been sorted.

Allan

Fuji have updated their lens map and that 90mm f2 (135 equivalent ) looks very interesting. Seems also the 16-55mm will not be coming OIS which is a surprise.

http://www.mirrorlessrumors.com/fuji-releases-the-updated-x-mount-lens-roadmap-includes-the-16mm-1-4-and-90mm-primes

Would be good if the 90mm f2 was to have 1:1 macro as well.

Allan

Archived