Hi Guys,

Just got back from hols where I was clicking away with my trusty Canon 5D Mk2 and 24-105L when it struggled to lock on to a subject then when I pressed to take the shot up came the error 01. On the screen it said communications between camera and lens is faulty - clean the lens contacts. Now, this lens hardly ever comes off hte camera but I did remove and cleaned the prestine looking contact points. I do not recall knocking or catching the lens anywhere but managed to keep it working at 24mm with no problems until I zoomed in a bit.

I have just tried a 16-35 lens and the was no problems so it must be the lens.

Really I would like to know which service centers you may have used and or recommend.

I would also like to send the camera too and get the sensor cleaned while it it is there.

Was looking at canon in Elstree or have heard good things about Fixation.

Regards

Paul Thompson

Hi Paul

Same lens same problem, apparently is a common fault with the 24-105L. I sent mine off to H. Lehmann at Stoke on Trent and from what I can remember it was an expensive repair bill.

Regards

Edit. Just traced the repair invoice from Aug 2012 £220.

Hi Paul

Same lens same problem, apparently is a common fault with the 24-105L. I sent mine off to H. Lehmann at Stoke on Trent and from what I can remember it was an expensive repair bill.

Regards

Edit. Just traced the repair invoice from Aug 2012 £220.

I had the same problem with my 24-105L and as I live in Stoke I took it to Lehmanns. I can't remember how much it cost (I will have a look tomorrow) but i'm sure it wasn't as much as £220. They did a good job though and I haven't had any problems since it was repaired.

John.

Had the same problem with the same camera/lens combination.  I sent the lens to Fixation - cost was just under £150 in May 2011, so probably has gone up since then.  It is such a common fault with this lens that I think Canon should do the equivalent of a recall or be prepared to fix the problem at no cost - it is not a fair wear and tear or user misuse issue, it is an original manufacturing defect which takes some years to manifest itself.

Graham

Same problem for me with this lens earlier this year. I sent it to Fixation and it cost just under £200. Was returned in a few days so I was quite happy with the service. The lens is working fine now.

Pearl

John

Special rates for locals?

Regards

Steven,

I think it must have been!

Perhaps it was cheaper because they didn't have to pay postage and insurance for the return of the lens?

Still can't find the receipt, but I seem to remember it was cheaper than £220, but it was in 2010 I think.

John.

I think the 24-105 suffers the same fate as most Canon zooms. The aperture and USM ribbon cable snaps internally. Happened to my 17-85 and it cost me £169 to get fixed. Does it work ok at f/4? and only gives you the error when you stop down the aperture? 

I solved the identical problem by rubbing both the camera and lens contacts with a Q tip. (small stick with soft cotton adhering to the end)

It happened twice, a year apart, after extended use in humid weather.

The contacts appeared to have a matte finish before treatment, and a shiny finish after.

Archived